• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Business Breakfast around Opera?

getxo

Would anyone have any suggestions about an early morning breakfast to conduct business? I'm looking for a non-hotel setting with an emphasis on delicious food. Many thanks in advance.

Would anyone have any suggestions about an early morning breakfast to conduct business? I'm looking for a non-hotel setting with an emphasis on delicious food. Many thanks in advance.

Outside of a hotel, you'll be hard pushed to find anywhere with 'delicious' food to have breakfast, as the French tend to have a coffee and cigarette or maybe a croissant or pain au chocolat instead.

You could try Angelina's on rue de Rivoli(famous for their hot chocolate), or the Café Marly at the Louvre. Neither places are ideal for conducting business, though, and breakfast would be quite simple. I would be interested to see what eveyone comes up with on this one....

Food glorious food, nothing quite like it...

I'm with gastro on this one. Why are you ruling out hotels? After all, even tho the great chefs aren't there at breakfast, they ordered or supervised the ordering of the product, trained the staff, etc.

For pastry and coffee, you certanly can't do better than at Laduree, but the C-E location is not near the Opera; Fauchon's resto and the other Laduree, are nearer.

I suppose you could go to the Brasserie Lorraine that opens at 8 AM and has had an up and down (now up) history; nearer to the Opera are Mollard + Garnier but I'm not sure how early they open. The Cafe de la Paix is open for breakfast and has recently undergone some changes and is certainly beautiful; however it's technically in a hotel (the Intercontinental); however, it was recently well reviewed by Margaret Kemp in Bonjour Paris.

Have you checked out our compendium thread on Brunches and Breakfasts that has lots of good ideas?

It's my recollection that Felice recently went to Breakfast in America but it's over in the 5th.

Finally, I do know who could answer your question in a flash - Fresh_a and I'll bet he does today.

John Talbott

blog John Talbott's Paris

It's my recollection that Felice recently went to Breakfast in America but it's over in the 5th.

I did go to the newest one on rue Mahler right near the metro Saint Paul, but it's definitely NOT a place I would recommend for business. It's a cute place to get decent pancakes and bad American coffee though.

www.parisnotebook.wordpress.com

I'm with gastro on this one.  Why are you ruling out hotels? After all, even tho the great chefs aren't there at breakfast, they ordered or supervised the ordering of the product, trained the staff, etc.

I agree. The Meurice has a magnificent dining room for a 'traditional' place, or the Park Hyatt Vendôme for something far more contemporary.

Food glorious food, nothing quite like it...

Stick to hotels. The French don't do breakfast.

Anti-alcoholics are unfortunates in the grip of water, that terrible poison, so corrosive that out of all substances it has been chosen for washing and scouring, and a drop of water added to a clear liquid like Absinthe, muddles it." ALFRED JARRY

blog