• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

T.G.I. Fridays: the good news and the bad news

Gifted Gourmet

Just don't order these courses:

Salad with fresh palms (groan)

Fresh Finger Sandwiches (Let's give the sous-chef a hand?!) -eek!-

Choice of Lady Fingers, Mincemeat Fingers or Chicken Fingers! :wacko:

Okay... don't give me "the finger" I don't get paid to make these horrible jokes!

Stacey C-Anonymouze@aol.com

*Censorship ends in logical completeness when nobody is allowed to read any books except the books that nobody reads!-G. B. SHAW

JUST say NO... to CENSORSHIP*!

Also member of LinkedIn, Erexchange and DonRockwell.

You hear so many stories about that sort of thing, most of which then turn out to be false, that I'm not inclined to believe it without more than the one report for evidence.

I have eaten at TGI Friday's fairly recently. I was at the Minneapolis airport, waiting for my delayed flight, and it seemed the best option -- at least they had good beers on tap. I got some potstickers and a salad. The potstickers were good, better than I've had at some Chinese restaurants in San Francisco. The salad was huge -- the portions are really ridiculous at chains like this -- but it was good too. Yeah, it's not my first choice, but I can think of a lot worse places to eat, especially in an airport.

Just picked up a bunch of stuff at the communal printer on my floor at work...someone had printed the TGI Friday's certificate! :laugh:

"We had dry martinis; great wing-shaped glasses of perfumed fire, tangy as the early morning air." - Elaine Dundy, The Dud Avocado

Queenie Takes Manhattan

eG Foodblogs: 2006 - 2007

Well, according to this brief news item from an NBC affiliate, it appears the customer who found the offending bit of digit is *NOT* pursuing legal action--which makes me think the whole incident was real (as opposed to a lawsuit scam). :laugh:

Oh wait--there's also a notice about the incident on TGI Friday's official website. I at least give them credit for jumping right on the story as opposed to blowing it off.

As to dining at TGI Fridays ... I think I only ever ate at one once, for brunch or something, way the heck back in the early 1980s in Boston, and I was frankly underwhelmed. To judge by the out-the-door lines on Saturday nights, the place was enormously popular, but I couldn't quite figure out why, other than the novelty factor and the foofy drinks.

An amusing sidenote: the Boston TGI Friday's in those days happened to be right next to the movie theater that was home to the local midnight showing of the Rocky Horror Picture Show--which made for some very entertaining, erm, cultural interactions on Saturday nights between the lines waiting for the movie and for the restaurant (the TGI crowd definitely came out a little the worse for wear :biggrin: ). Oh yeah--three guesses which line I was in. :laugh:

Which one is the bad news ?

Both article and certificate, Mike Hunt! :laugh:

Kinda like that old joke:

First prize: a week in _____ hotel

Second prize: three weeks in _____ hotel ... :rolleyes:

Melissa Goodman aka "Gifted Gourmet"

Which one is the bad news ?

Both article and certificate, Mike Hunt! :laugh:

Kinda like that old joke:

First prize: a week in _____ hotel

Second prize: three weeks in _____ hotel ... :rolleyes:

Yes, if in doubt tell an old joke :rolleyes:

I've only even been in a TGIs once.

I was taken aback (as most Brits) by the servile (purile) style of waiting.

This poor girl covered in button badges announced that she was our server for the evening then got down on her knees. Didn't know what was going to happen next :unsure: