• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

What would your 1947 Picks be

GordonCooks

Gordon, Hi...

Sorry, but don't know the prices but three good bets might be:

Chateau Lafleur, Pomerol, 1947: I can only regret not having had the opportunity to have tasted this wine in its youth, for in its maturity it is magnificent and surely would have given enormous pleasure to follow over the decades. Full-bodied, with tannins still here but those so subtle that it takes minutes until you feel them. From first attack through the still remarkably long finish a nose and palate of berry jam, peppery citrus peel marmalade and espresso coffee. Simply stated, don't be surprised as you sip this one if tears of joy start running down your cheeks. Drinking beautifully now-2010, perhaps longer. Score 97. (Tasted in magnum sized format, 22 Jan 1997)

Domaine de la Romanee-Conti, La Tache, 1947: Adobe brick red towards brown in color but still throwing orange and ruby reflections, a distinctly earthy wine now, but under that intense minerals and rich, near-jammy black fruits. Fills the mouth with a fascinating combination of sweetness and bitterness that cannot help but fascinate. Only for those who can adore very mature reds but for those a blessing. Drink now-2010, perhaps longer. Score 98. (Re-tasted 4 Jan 1999)

Chateau d’Yquem, Sauternes, 1947: One of the very best Yquem wines ever, and one very possibly destined to celebrate its centennial still going strong. Full bodied, with a generous, still almost intense botrytis nose along with flavors and aromas of candied citrus, tropical fruits and sweet caramel, all of which linger beautifully, this is one of the very best and certainly most elegant Yquems ever. Drinking beautifully now, the wine has a good chance of celebrating its centennial year. Score 97. (Yquem Vertical, 27 Jan 2003)

A good friend is planning a birthday party for his father and wants all 1947 (birth year) bottles. What you pick (esp Burgs?) Looking ot stay at the 5000.00 mark for 5-6 bottles.

My choice for my father's birthday was a Viña Bosconia 1947... One of the best vintage in that bodega and a first class wine....

Gordon, Hi...

Chateau Lafleur, Pomerol, 1947: I can only regret not having had the opportunity to have tasted this wine in its youth, for in its maturity it is magnificent and surely would have given enormous pleasure to follow over the decades. Full-bodied, with tannins still here but those so subtle that it takes minutes until you feel them. From first attack through the still remarkably long finish a nose and palate of berry jam, peppery citrus peel marmalade and espresso coffee.  Simply stated, don't be surprised as you sip this one if tears of joy start running down your cheeks.  Drinking beautifully now-2010, perhaps longer. Score 97. (Tasted in magnum sized format, 22 Jan 1997)

Domaine de la Romanee-Conti, La Tache, 1947: Adobe brick red towards brown in color but still throwing orange and ruby reflections, a distinctly earthy wine now, but under that intense minerals and rich, near-jammy black fruits.  Fills the mouth with a fascinating combination of sweetness and bitterness that cannot help but fascinate. Only for those who can adore very mature reds but for those a blessing. Drink now-2010, perhaps longer. Score 98.  (Re-tasted 4 Jan 1999)

Chateau d’Yquem, Sauternes, 1947: One of the very best Yquem wines ever, and one very possibly destined to celebrate its centennial still going strong. Full bodied, with a generous, still almost intense botrytis nose along with flavors and aromas of candied citrus, tropical fruits and sweet caramel, all of which linger beautifully, this is one of the very best and certainly most elegant Yquems ever. Drinking beautifully now, the wine has a good chance of celebrating its centennial year. Score 97. (Yquem Vertical, 27 Jan 2003)

The DRC is a budget buster on it's own but thank you for the TNs. Back to budget, Cheval is out as is Margaux (I'd go Petrus anyway) Probably looking at Ports, 47 Corton, 47 Vouvray Moelleux, 47 pauillac, 47 LaFleur is on the wish list, 47 Krug, 47 Alsatian Reisling but I'm clueless on older Burgs

Gordon, Hi...

Chateau Lafleur, Pomerol, 1947: I can only regret not having had the opportunity to have tasted this wine in its youth, for in its maturity it is magnificent and surely would have given enormous pleasure to follow over the decades. Full-bodied, with tannins still here but those so subtle that it takes minutes until you feel them. From first attack through the still remarkably long finish a nose and palate of berry jam, peppery citrus peel marmalade and espresso coffee.  Simply stated, don't be surprised as you sip this one if tears of joy start running down your cheeks.  Drinking beautifully now-2010, perhaps longer. Score 97. (Tasted in magnum sized format, 22 Jan 1997)

Domaine de la Romanee-Conti, La Tache, 1947: Adobe brick red towards brown in color but still throwing orange and ruby reflections, a distinctly earthy wine now, but under that intense minerals and rich, near-jammy black fruits.  Fills the mouth with a fascinating combination of sweetness and bitterness that cannot help but fascinate. Only for those who can adore very mature reds but for those a blessing. Drink now-2010, perhaps longer. Score 98.  (Re-tasted 4 Jan 1999)

The DRC is a budget buster on it's own but thank you for the TNs. Back to budget, Cheval is out as is Margaux (I'd go Petrus anyway) Probably looking at Ports, 47 Corton, 47 Vouvray Moelleux, 47 pauillac, 47 LaFleur is on the wish list, 47 Krug, 47 Alsatian Reisling but I'm clueless on older Burgs

As I see it--1947 was a good burgundy vintage per most critics. However, being Burgundy you would be advised to stick to top producers and bottles that have been impeccably stored. Hard to find and very expensive.

Your best bet may be to talk to someone at one of the major auction houses and get some advice.

As for Bordeaux--your budget will afford "lesser" growths from 47--I would think that some decent bottles could be found for pretty fair prices at auction.

Port--1947 was a good vintage but it was only declared by 11 shippers. Michael Broadbent notes in "Vintage Wine" that there is little of this wine available anywhere.

All in all-with some help from a good merchant and/or auction house--you may be able to put together a few very interesting wines that would come in at your "modest" budget.

This is a pretty daunting task!

I would love for you to post a recap of how this comes out for you--most interesting!!!

Unless you had cellered the wines yourself, you might as well light some cigars with your hundred dollar bills. The variability of storage will result in crappy wine. Trust me, I have had many failures of wines of that era that i had cellered and kept well. It's kind of a crap shoot.-Dick

If you look on http://www. wine-searcher.com ther are some 400 wines and spirits listed often at quite modest prices, although the prices will reflect condition and drinkability. Wine of that age is always a lottery.

I have some lovely 1947 Ch Caillou, but then sweet wines age a lot better.

Unless you had cellered the wines yourself, you might as well light some cigars with your hundred dollar bills. The variability of storage will result in crappy wine. Trust me, I have had many failures of wines of that era that i had cellered and kept well. It's kind of a crap shoot.-Dick

Luckily one of your in town suppliers has a tremendous supply of old stuff with solid provenance.