• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

I've been hired to provide desserts next weekend for a local music chamber group evening event. They're showcasing a pianist from Argentina, so the music and menu is honoring their featured guest. The caterer is working up a tapas menu, and I'd like to include some regional dessert choices and maybe some of the usual mini pastry suspects (I haven't decided anything yet).... it's probably going to be for about 200 people, so I'm thinking 3 pieces per person. I can't do any cooking there (so no more playing with the torch on those champagne creme brulees!!!) so one-bite things would be ideal IMHO.

So, any ideas? I'd love to do a dessert tapas menu, but I need some inspiration from all of you (long week with lots of weddings this weekend, I'm pretty fried already). I tried to google "argentinian desserts" in a few different variants, but I didn't come up with much past dulce de leche!

thanks, jeanne

I work with a couple of Argentinian guys. I'll ask them next week when I see them next what would be appropriate.

Katie M. Loeb
Booze Muse, Spiritual Advisor

Author: Shake, Stir, Pour:Fresh Homegrown Cocktails

Cheers!
Bartendrix,Intoxicologist, Beverage Consultant, Philadelphia, PA
Captain Liberty of the Good Varietals, Aphrodite of Alcohol

Well it may not be specifically Argentinian, but my family is from Southwest Brazil and my mom loves making cocada, which are basically little bites of coconut cooked together with sweetened condensed milk to a softballish stage... sort of like a softer macaroon.

Rico

Alfajores is a good option, which is conceptually similar to a macaroon, ie two pieces of dough with a filling. A very common/traditional one, alfajores de maicena, calls for the dough to be made with cornstarch. The recipe usually involves yolks, sugar, cornstarch and flour. I'm sure you can find several recipes online if you search for "alfajores de maicena"The filling is traditionally dulce de leche, and once done you sprinkle the borders of the filling with grated coconut.

Another option is tortas or pastelitos fritos, a simple sweet dough which is deep fried, and sometimes filled with quince paste.

We''ve opened Pazzta 920, a fresh pasta stall in the Boqueria Market. follow the thread here.

My blog, the Adventures of A Silly Disciple.