• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Drinks before Babbo

Jenny McClure

This may be pushing it but...... I just found out (by the wonders of American Express..) that we got a last minute reservation at Babbo for tonight, my flight is is in 2 hours and I need some suggestions for a nice bar to meet up for a drink beforehand. Walking distance would be a preference but not a necessity.

Thanks in advance!!!!

This may be pushing it but......  I just found out (by the wonders of American Express..) that we got a last minute reservation at Babbo for tonight, my flight is is in 2 hours and I need some suggestions for a nice bar to meet up for a drink beforehand.  Walking distance would be a preference but not a necessity.

Thanks in advance!!!!

Pegu Club 77 W. Houston 2nd floor.

A DUSTY SHAKER LEADS TO A THIRSTY LIFE

Ten million people are going to tell you Pegu Club, which New Yorkers would consider walking distance even though non-New Yokers might not.

Let me be the first.

There's also Employees Only, on Hudson near 10th St. (which, because of the strange way the streets are laid out in the West Village, sounds like it's a lot farther from Babbo than it actually is: a fairly short walk). This is one of those "fake hidden" places that were such a rage in New York last year: you walk through a storefront fortunetelling place, through a door that I believe is labeled "Employees Only", into the cocktail lounge. Cocktails are excellent (although not as stratespherically great as at Pegu Club).

I don't know if it's open -- it was closed for a long time owing to a flood caused by a broken pipe, and I sort of gave up on it -- but there's also Little Branch, at the southwest corner of Seventh Avenue South and Leroy. It's run by the people who run Milk and Honey (altough you don't need to know any secret words to get in). Cocktails are superb.

Edited by Sneakeater (log)

There's also Employees Only, on Hudson near 10th St.

Cocktails are excellent (although not as stratespherically great as at Pegu Club).

I don't know if it's open -- it was closed for a long time owing to a flood caused by a broken pipe, and I sort of gave up on it -- but there's also Little Branch, at the southwest corner of Seventh Avenue South and Leroy.  It's run by the people who run Milk and Honey (altough you don't need to know any secret words to get in).  Cocktails are superb.

Pegu is only about four or five short blocks from Babbo and I believe is the closest bar that's been mentioned. I agree with Sneakeater - Pegu's cocktails are better than Employees Only. Little Branch, however, is amazing and should not be given up on. It reopened earlier this year and indeed has stellar cocktails. May not open until 7 or 8, not sure if this is convenient for you. Keep your eye out for Sammy, the Australian hottie behind the bar.

Thanks for quick response.  I will definately check out one of these suggestions.  i will report back on the drinks and the dinner when I get back.

you can go to otto, on 8th street & 5th avenue.

have a quartino of wine in the front room. really great vibe & energy, excellent wines by the glass (quartino).

tell them you're going to babbo for dinner. they'll hook you up.

• 2 weeks later...

Just to let you know, we ended up going to Pegu Club, but after dinner instead of before (or flight got a bit delayed). I guess as it was late the place was probably about 35% full. The staff were very helpful and even made our pregnant friend a delicious mocktail so she wouldn't miss out. Thanks for the suggestion.

Chefboy, we also went to Otto, but on a different night. We were there on Sunday night and ate at the bar. Loved the food, loved the wine and loved the place. It was packed, impressive for a Sunday night!

Just to let you know, we ended up going to Pegu Club, but after dinner instead of before (or flight got a bit delayed).  I guess as it was late the place was probably about 35% full.  The staff were very helpful and even made our pregnant friend a delicious mocktail so she wouldn't miss out.  Thanks for the suggestion.

Chefboy, we also went to Otto, but on a different night.  We were there on Sunday night and ate at the bar.  Loved the food, loved the wine and loved the place.  It was packed, impressive for a Sunday night!

Notice you said nothing about dinner at Babbo. How was it?

Rich Schulhoff

Opinions are like friends, everyone has some but what matters is how you respect them!

Sorry about that!

Dinner at Babbo was everything we were hoping for. There was 5 of us. We had 3 starters, which were simple and good, the prosciutto, a special that had some seasonal type of leek(can't remember the name) with mozarella on bruschetta and the 3rd escapes me.

For pastas, we split 3. The mint love letters, I really liked this but others found the mint a bit overwhelming. The black spagetti with rock shrimp, everyone loved this. Also the pasta with the wild boar Ragu, delicious. The favourite of the table was the black spaghetti.

For mains we had the Osso bucco and the duck. The duck was by far the standout.

We were all too full for pudding about from the pregnant one. I don't know what she had as she wasn't about to share and the plate was just about licked clean.

Great food, lovely service. The Host was a bit put out that one of party had to drop out at the last minute due to a stomach flu, boy, if looks could kill, but apart from that, fantastic.

ramps.

Chefboy means the seasonal leeks, I believe. They're in season now and sooo delicious. We currently have them pickled in a salad. But if you eat them raw, they stay with you for three days! Or so mountain lore has it.

(don't mean to step on toes, just wanting to clarify :smile: )