• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

What a tzimmes

UnConundrum

We started holding the seder at our home about 10 years ago as it was just too much for my mother anymore (she's now 84). Although I'm an avid cook, I've never tackled a tzimmes. My memories of my mother's includes sweet potatoes, carrots, potatoes, and a Knaidel. I could improvise, or use one of the many recipes on the web, (Like this page) but I was wondering what's your favorite?

BTW, at current count, the group will be 18 this year :)

I make my grandfather's tzimmes - he came from Budapest and made it more savory than sweet (a shookle of chopped prunes for the sweet) -start with a bit of flanken, a little sweet potato, a lot of carrots, use a pinch of Hungarian paprika and stew the heck out of it - delicious!

"Life is Too Short to Not Play With Your Food" 

My blog: Fun Playing With Food

Melissa, I'm still searching. Did you ever make your recipe with a knaidel? I think I want something more savory than sweet. Yours sounds great for the High Holidays.

I'm toying with making a recipe up. Want to use dried sweet cherries instead of the raisins or prunes, and baking the potatoes and carrots, then skinning them. Arrange the veggies with a well in the center and adding the knaidel mixture in the well, then pouring some chicken stock around the veggies.... Just no idea how much liquid to add... or if it needs to be covered... I'm guessing it does, so that means a deep pot... I'm feeding 17, so.... pretty heavy for at the table (I do have a 12 qt. La Cruset).

Anyone have any suggestions?

For whatever it's worth, I consider regular potatoes a waste in tzimmes. When I've cooked tzimmes with my mother, we used no potatoes and no carrots, but plenty of prunes and sweet potatoes. We also used a good amount of onions. We didn't use any stock that I can recall. It always came out good, but I'm not sure we actually followed any recipe.

Michael aka "Pan"

Hmm..is Tzimmes really Ashkenazi in origin? Don't think there is much sweet potato dishes in central/eastern europe, or are there?

This dish was originally made with carrots and prunes and both of these things were/are available in central and eastern Europe.