• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Take out lunch in CC

Carlson1105

Can anyone suggest some good takeout lunch spots in Center City? Looking for more than sandwiches, maybe some good international dishes. So tired of the same thing every day.

Sahara Grill, 1300 block of Walnut; Middle Eastern food that travels well.

Rich Pawlak

Reporter, The Trentonian

Feature Writer, INSIDE Magazine
Food Writer At Large

MY BLOG: THE OMNIVORE

"In Cerveza et Pizza Veritas"

Minar Palace for great Indian food. 1605 Sansom.

Little Pete's diner. 17th & Chancellor. Hey - it is what it is. Sometimes when I don't know what I want, a big old diner menu is what I need to decide.

Food Court at the Bellevue at Broad & Sansom. 12th Street Cantina was always a fave of mine in there. There's a really good soup joint too.

Pad Thai Shack on 18th above Walnut. Really good Thai.

Marathon Grill - several locations.

Misora Japanese - cheap lunch boxes that are really pretty good. The tonkatsu is quite good as is the teryaki salmon. They also do a great salad if you're feeling so inclined. 1511 Chestnut.

Ditto on Rich's suggestion of Sahara Grill.

Katie M. Loeb
Booze Muse, Spiritual Advisor

Author: Shake, Stir, Pour:Fresh Homegrown Cocktails

Cheers!
Bartendrix,Intoxicologist, Beverage Consultant, Philadelphia, PA
Captain Liberty of the Good Varietals, Aphrodite of Alcohol

Well, still sandwiches but other stuff too,

the two new (last year or so) falafel joints,

the vegetarian one on 20th around Market where Pad Thai Shack used to be.

Philly Falafel (right name?) on Sansom right around the corner from Pad Thai Shack.

Didja notice Samosa @ 12th and Walnut isn't there anymore?

Herb aka "herbacidal"

Tom is not my friend.

Well, still sandwiches but other stuff too,

the two new (last year or so) falafel joints,

the vegetarian one on 20th around Market where Pad Thai Shack used to be.

Philly Falafel (right name?) on Sansom right around the corner from Pad Thai Shack.

that first one is mama's vegetarian. their falafel kicks philly falafel's ass. philly falafel has better free salad bar though.

Yah, somebody named Ravi (owner?) had a heart attack and it's been curtained ever since.

Yea, I believe that was the owner.

I think that was the turbaned guy that ran the dining room.

A shame, it was a good place.

I hope he's well too.

Herb aka "herbacidal"

Tom is not my friend.

I live right down the street from there.... It's sad. It started as a note on the door "Samosa is closed temporarily" to "Ravi had a heart attack" then "Thanks for all your well wishes! We hope to open again soon!" Several months later it was an eviction notice. I don't think it's coming back...

Still, no offense to them, but Minar Palace is the best Indian in the city IMO. Skip nearby Passage to India. Anyone tried that new Turkish place over on Chestnut (11th?). The Thai place in the Terminal Market is decent. Nothing fantastic, but not bad. Of course lots of places in Chinatown will make you a nice, yummy lunch.

For lunch around campus I'm always hitting up the West Philly food trucks. Don't know much about em in Center City, but some of the ones in W. Philly are restaurant (or better) quality.

Anyone tried that new Turkish place over on Chestnut (11th?).

wait what?

Cafe a la Turca

http://mobile.zabihah.com/details_sub.php?rest_id=5722

I live near there and walk by it all the time and never even noticed it because it's a little takeout joint. I first found about it through that site I linked, which is great for discovering new Middle Eastern joints. Then all of a sudden I noticed it sits right there on the corner :) I've been meaning to try it, but haven't yet done so. I really miss places like Mahmoun's up in New Haven and NYC, and while Rami's truck in University City helps fill the void, I'm hoping we can get a center city joint with $2 falafel sandwiches and $8 loaded with meat Shawerma plates like Mahmoun's.

PS: Anyone have suggestions on Morrocan eggplant salad around here? I was very unimpressed with Marrakesh here. Back in Undergrad I used to always hit up Ali Baba for lunch for this (and still highly recommend it if you make it down to Newark, DE) and I really miss it!

Edited by Neuronix (log)

wow, awesome. i'm totally checking that out, possibly tomorrow. thanks for the tip! i've said before and i'll say again: mama's vegetarian on 20th below market is some of the best falafel i've had in town.

i don't know from morrocan eggplant salad, but if you find out let me know.

PS: Anyone have suggestions on Morrocan eggplant salad around here? I was very unimpressed with Marrakesh here. Back in Undergrad I used to always hit up Ali Baba for lunch for this (and still highly recommend it if you make it down to Newark, DE) and I really miss it!

Try Cedar's on 2nd St just south of South.

"Philadelphia’s premier soup dumpling blogger" - Foobooz

philadining.com