• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Knives in the dishwasher

stevea

Here's an update on my knives four years later!!

I just cleaned and sharpened them, and I'm surprised to report that the Henckels Four Star 8" chef's knife is good as new - and I can even still read the imprint on the side!! I have had this knife for TWENTY years (I remember because I bought it for my first catering job in 1989) and it's been through the dishwasher on the top rack hundreds of times.

The one that did not do so well is the Henckels Pro "S" - there is a distinct line of pitting about half an inch below the tang.

Good reasons for not putting sharp knives (as opposed to "silverware") in the dishwasher:

1. It's dangerous.

2. If the sharp edge is touching anything else hard, the vibration caused by the aggressive action of the dishwasher will damage the fine teeth, making it harder to hone.

3. Detergents and heat add up to corrosion which affects rivets (made from alloy), wood, plastics.

4. If you don't start the dishwasher immediately the acids in the food you have been cutting will eat into the surface of the blade. This causes "pitting" which will result in rust spots.

5. It's lazy.... :)

Knives in the dishwasher Never.

I absolutely agree! I never ever put my knives in the dishwasher. Not to mention it takes all of a couple of seconds to wash and dry the knives by hand. Why take any kind of risk with your knives?

Simple. Cutlery that's supposed to be sharp never goes in the dishwasher (or the sink) under any circumstances. If you have family members or guests who like to "help" and who can't grasp this, then you need to lock the knives out of harm's way.

Knives that are flatware you can treat just like your forks and spoons. Put them in any way you like.

Notes from the underbelly