• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Where to next

aswag74

The Fiance and I are looking to move on to dry whites other than Gruners. The very helpful woman at our local wine shop in Washington Heights steered us to a great Australian Semellion Sauv. Blanc blend which we enjoyed very much.

Any other suggestions? We like the minerally aspect of both of these.

The Fiance and I are looking to move on to dry whites other than Gruners. The very helpful woman at our local wine shop in Washington Heights steered us to a great Australian Semellion Sauv. Blanc blend which we enjoyed very much.

Any other suggestions? We like the minerally aspect of both of these.

There are, quite literally, too many to name.

First, if you would like to try something else from Austria, the sauvignons and chardonnays are pretty unique, to say nothing of the bone-dry rieslings that are produced there. For sauvignon, try Nigl; for chardonnay, Prager; for riesling, Knoll, Hertzberger, Nigl, Nikoliahof, F.W. Pichler, and many more.

Elsewhere, suggestions abound:

Soave - garganega is the grape of the Soave region in Italy, although most of the industrial grade plonk in the U.S. market (and by that I mean Bolla, et al) is more likely from trebbiano. Try producers like Pieropan, Inama, Anselmi, Gini and others. They do several different cuvees, from a bottom-end Soave Classico, to single vineyard wines - all are worth a try - some are astoundingly good.

Italy has a number of other beautiful, mineral driven whites, such as Fiano de Avalino, Greco de Tufo, Arneis, Tocai, Vermentino, Vernaccia, Grechetto, and on and on (read Vino Italiano, by Bastianich and Lynch).

In Spain, many Rueda are wonderful with food as are Albarino, Godello, Parellada, Xarel-lo, etc.

In the Loire, Romorantin, Chenin Blanc, Muscadet, and Sauvignon are some of the most mineral driven wines anywhere.

How about good, steely Chablis or a Rousanne or Marsanne from the Rhone?

We are just scratching the surface here with lots of fine producers in each region turning out examples of their variety to be proud of.

My Dad used to order what he could not pronounce or had no idea what it was when he went out to eat. Fortunately, most of the wines noted above are inexpensive so - why not do the same with white wine?

So much good wine . . .

Best, Jim

Edited by Florida Jim (log)

www.CowanCellars.com

Not sure what you've had in the past but "minerality" is your thing you cannot go wrong with some crisp Chablis, Sancerre, or Loire Chenin Blanc.

Cheers,

Stephen

"who needs a wine list when you can get pissed on dessert" Gordon Ramsey Kitchen Nightmares 2005

MY BLOG

If you have a sense of adventure you might want to try a Swiss wine made form the Chasselas grape. If you can find it I would suggest

Saint Saphorin "L'Archevesque" from Domaine Louis Bovard. I believe you can find their wines in Manhattan. The wine is elegant, somewhat Chablis-like with good mineral notes and an subtle hint of fruit and spice. The Swiss tend to keep the great wines to themselves however they do allow some wonderful wines to escape the country.

If you have a sense of adventure you might want to try a Swiss wine made form the Chasselas grape. If you can find it I would suggest

Saint Saphorin "L'Archevesque" from Domaine Louis Bovard. I believe you can find their wines in Manhattan. The wine is elegant, somewhat Chablis-like with good mineral notes and an subtle hint of fruit and spice. The Swiss tend to keep the great wines to themselves however they do allow some wonderful wines to escape the country.

I'm still a "Newbie". I thought I had posted a reply...however it seems to have vanished!

Let's start again.

Why not try something completely different? If you can find it try a Swiss white wine made from the chasselas grape. My suggestion is

Saint Saphorin "L'Archevesque", Domaine Louis Bovard. It is Chablis-like with mineral notes as well as subtle hints of fruit and spice. It might just be available in Manhattan. The Swiss tend to keep the great wines to themselves but do, on occasion, let some gems escape the country.