• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Steels and cuts

Ex-S

Hi, I'm looking to get a steel, but I'm kinda confused about all the cuts... Does anyone know what a sapphire cut is? Is a superfine cut recommended or is a standard cut more practical for daily use? As well are there any brands/models you recommend? So far I only know that FDick makes good steels. Thanks ^__^

In general, you do not want a steel with any "cut" at all. Those steels are designed to be used with soft steel butcher knives that are roughly steeled many times a day and will wear out in fairly fast order.

For a good home kitchen knife, you want either a smooth steel or a very fine grit ceramic steel. The best place to buy is HandAmerican. Get their ceramic and polished steel rods in the 14 inch length. You can even get a glass rod from HandAmerican.

--

In general, you do not want a steel with any "cut" at all.  Those steels are designed to be used with soft steel butcher knives that are roughly steeled many times a day and will wear out in fairly fast order.

For a good home kitchen knife, you want either a smooth steel or a very fine grit ceramic steel.  The best place to buy is HandAmerican.  Get their ceramic and polished steel rods in the 14 inch length.  You can even get a glass rod from HandAmerican.

Oh... Wouldn't it take a really long time to hone the blade then? I'll look into it though... thanks ^__^....

Since a steel is for straightening the edge of your blade, it just needs to be hard enough to deal with the steel of your knife. Ridges along the steel do not improve performance, and can damage your blade if used incorrectly. A whetstone is used for actually sharpening the knife, and there you'll want at least a fine and medium whetstone. Sharpening is the process that actually takes time.

IMO, it's best to start off with inexpensive, well made knives and good quality sharpening and honing tools. If you know what you're doing with a whetstone and a steel, you can keep any knife in good shape. And *all* knives will perform badly if they're not kept after properly. Since a high end chef's knife can easily go for $100 or more, and a lesser (but still functional) knife and the tools to keep after it will be $80-100 it's a pretty easy choice to me.

If you're serious about your knives, start out by checking out the eGCI courses on knives and knife care. I don't always agree with the recommendations, but they're good starters for learning about sharp pointy things.

Emily

Hi, I'm looking to get a steel, but I'm kinda confused about all the cuts... Does anyone know what a sapphire cut is?  Is a superfine cut recommended or is a standard cut more practical for daily use?  As well are there any brands/models you recommend?  So far I only know that FDick makes good steels.  Thanks ^__^

I have recently been doing some research into the same subject. The best I have discovered, (other than a £700 grinder) is a combination of a regular steel and a diamond steel. The regular steel provides a good edge and the diamond gets the perfect finish. The angle and method is important, however. I was taught by a chef last week and would be pleased to pass on the advice. Let me know.

I have about ten other "sharpeners" of varying quality and price that are not as good by a long stretch as the original steel, used correctly.

Good luck