• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Cookbook Software

SweetSide

Currently I have Living Cookbook, but I've seen other posters refer to Mastercook.

I also saw one recipe posted that had both weight and volume measurements along with baker's percentages (I'm envious).

I'm finding that mine is ok, but I would like it to do more -- like be able to show both weights and volumes. And to use measurements like 1/2 cup plus 1 tablespoon (as that is how I received a recipe). Living Cookbook also does nutrition analysis and cost analysis, which I like. But, I find maintaining the ingredient cost information is less than efficient.

eGulleters, what do you use? Do you like it? Why? What do you feel it lacks?

Cheryl, The Sweet Side

I went through this same quest about a year ago, trying to figure out which was the best software.

I have an older version of Mastercook that's done all right, but I was interested in the others as well. Living Cookbook has some cool features.

Another one I found was Big Oven (bigoven.com). As I recall, pretty neat, lots of features.

But, ultimately, I stayed with the one I have rather than buy a new one. I think I ended up liking Big Oven best, but wasn't ready to shell out any dough for a new software when I had a decent one already.

I'll be interested to see what you find out. Maybe a consensus will finally be reached!

Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well preserved body...but rather to skid in sideways, chocolate in one hand, wine in the other, body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming "WOO HOO what a ride!"

I've tried Prochef and MasterCook, but I was disappointed with both. I think it's just me. I am back to my little cards so I can scratch out and substitute ingredients and record the results without having to boot up the 'puter.

I like to make notes while I cook and Cream of Mushroom soup spilling on my laptop keyboard convinced me that sometimes the old ways are the best ways.

But I have a friend who swears by Prochef. Makes menus, recipe lists and more.

I guess I'm just a slob.

Is there a good website that does recipe conversions?

Wanting to triple a recipe and use it all by weights?

What type of conversion -- from volume to weight? There are several that do such a thing, but nothing by specific ingredient. Flour alone weighs differently depending upon how you get it in the cup and the type of flour it is.

Right now, I do all of my conversions from volume to weight by hand, usually the first time I make a recipe. For tripling, my software will do that for me for weights or volumes, whichever I have in the recipe. One of my problems is I want both in the software.

As for a website that scales recipes -- some do it for the recipes at their site. But I don't know of one where you would enter your recipe and get it scaled. That I do in my software or on an Excel spreadsheet.

Cheryl, The Sweet Side

Yeah.... Sweetside....during the holidays I was having to triple/quad the recipes by hand.

And still using all cup measurements, which is a drag. Just didn't have the time at that time. Just want to convert all my recipes to weight.

Yeah.... Sweetside....during the holidays I was having to triple/quad the recipes by hand.

And still using all cup measurements, which is a drag. Just didn't have the time at that time. Just want to convert all my recipes to weight.

That's where I am -- converting recipes for larger scale production... Makes for real slow going... And the reason I'm looking for the "perfect" recipe software. Ah, if "they" would only program my every whim! :wink:

Cheryl, The Sweet Side

I'm using Cheftec and it's not bad. It converts in any measurement form. But it's not cheap nor perfect. The darn thing shuts me out regularly, etc...

Seems to me that theres a huge need in this area and no one has come out with a great program (one that's compatiable, etc...). Someone could get fairly rich off this if they made a really good program. None so far seem to be designed by a real foodie.

I'm using Cheftec and it's not bad. It converts in any measurement form. But it's not cheap nor perfect. The darn thing shuts me out regularly, etc...

Seems to me that theres a huge need in this area and no one has come out with a great program (one that's compatiable, etc...). Someone could get fairly rich off this if they made a really good program. None so far seem to be designed by a real foodie.

Thanks Wendy -- I'll have to check that one out. A limited version came with my textbook, but I don't use it because I couldn't import or export recipes.

Time for some additional investigation...

Cheryl, The Sweet Side