• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Italian orzo vs. Greek kritharaki

Anna N

I was about to prepare a recipe calling for orzo but it specifically says "not Greek". When I retrieved my unopened orzo from the pantry -- guess what! It says orzo - kritharaki and is made in Greece! What problems will this cause? It is a simple side-dish that calls for orzo, chicken broth, parmesan and some seasonings. The orzo is cooked in plain water, drained and cooled quickly in cold water and then cooked again in the broth and then basically tossed with the remaining ingredients. There are no directions on the package that might guide me. Many thanks.

Anna Nielsen aka "Anna N"

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

Our 2012 (Kerry Beal and me) Blog

My 2004 eG Blog

Barley in Italian is "orzo."

So, if your recipe is "authentic" it is probably asking for barley, though it's strange. Usually cookbooks wishing to introduce English-speaking readers to orzotto will specify barley as Deborah Madison does in her recipe for orzotto in Vegetarian Cooking for Everyone.

For more uses of barley in Italian cooking, see ongoing thread on Friuli-Venezia Giulia.

"Viciousness in the kitchen.

The potatoes hiss." --Sylvia Plath

So, if your recipe is "authentic" it is probably asking for barley, though it's strange.  Usually cookbooks wishing to introduce English-speaking readers to orzotto will specify barley as Deborah Madison does in her recipe for orzotto in Vegetarian Cooking for Everyone.

For more uses of barley in Italian cooking, see ongoing thread on Friuli-Venezia Giulia.

I was not aiming for authentic. And it is certainly not barley. My understanding of orzo from a North American point of view is that it is semolina pasta that looks like rice. The Greek version I have indicates that it is made from 100% semolina. Thanks for the offer of help but I think you have a different ingredient in mind.

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

My 2004 eG Blog

I am not familiar with kritharaki but I'll speculate that maybe the difference is based on size, and requisite cooking times. If they are both types of pasta then I'm sure you can go ahead with the substitution so long as you make any required changes to the time of each boil. It doesn't look like you can go too wrong with this preparation.

aka Michael

Chi mangia bene, vive bene!

"...And bring us the finest food you've got, stuffed with the second finest."

"Excellent, sir. Lobster stuffed with tacos."

I am not familiar with kritharaki but I'll speculate that maybe the difference is based on size, and requisite cooking times. If they are both types of pasta then I'm sure you can go ahead with the substitution so long as you make any required changes to the time of each boil. It doesn't look like you can go too wrong with this preparation.

Yes, I think I will wing it. After all, it's just pasta! Thanks. I remain curious, however, as to why the recipe would specifically state "not Greek" so I am hoping someone will know why it would matter. Thanks.

My 2004 eG Blog

Should you care to try something new, here's one online recipe for plain orzotto, suitable for a side dish instead of a first course.

Here's the one with sausage I am planning on making tomorrow.

Thank you. They both sound delicious - if you like barley! Having been raised on barley water (when sick) and an Irish stew thick with barley - I feel a definite disinclination to make anything with barley! Just to show that I don't discriminate, I can't stand beans or lentils either! It's a texture thing!

I really do appreciate your interest and willingness to offer alternates it's just that barley isn't an ingredient I am likely to use. But I hope your dish works out well and I will be watching the thread with interest.

My 2004 eG Blog

Oh well, what can you do?

I understand completely :smile:

There was a period of a good six or seven years that I could not, would not go near a piece of steak. That's a different kind of story.

"Viciousness in the kitchen.

The potatoes hiss." --Sylvia Plath

Oh well, what can you do?

I understand completely :smile:

There was a period of a good six or seven years that I could not, would not go near a piece of steak.  That's a different kind of story.

Steak! :shock: Now that would really worry me.

My 2004 eG Blog

I think TongoRad may be right. My Turkish flatmate uses both of them interchangeably and doesn't seem to think there's any difference. We only have orzo in the house now, so can't really compare the size :sad:

I think TongoRad may be right. My Turkish flatmate uses both of them interchangeably and doesn't seem to think there's any difference. We only have orzo in the house now, so can't really compare the size :sad:

I am going shopping today and am determined to find the Italian orzo and do a comparison. This is such a silly thing but it is now becoming an obsession with me! :shock:

My 2004 eG Blog

Not to confuse the issue further, but Kritharaki is Greek for barley.

Either way, both packages claim the product is made from 100% semolina!

gallery_6903_111_26885.jpg

And here they are. Italian at the top, Greek at the bottom. The Italian is shorter and plumper than the Greek and a lighter shade of pale. I have not yet cooked the Italian one but the Greek one seemed overcooked after 8 minutes.

My 2004 eG Blog