• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Wendy's Restaurant (American)

I probably should've opened a new account to ask this question as I am surely discrediting anything I say from here on out, but I was wondering if there are any Wendy's franchises in London?

I saw there WAS one on Oxford street, but to my knowledge it is no longer there.

Please help me out, i miss their fries!

Enjoy the local fries with a pint at a great British pub :biggrin: actually there is/was? a Wendy's on Shaftesbury Avenue as well.

What do you like about the Wendy's French Fries? I noticed you post from Vancouver (we have great Fries too at Chambar and Cafe de Paris)

Stephen

Vancouver

Edited by SBonner (log)

"who needs a wine list when you can get pissed on dessert" Gordon Ramsey Kitchen Nightmares 2005

MY BLOG

Enjoy the local fries with a pint at a great British pub :biggrin: actually there is/was? a Wendy's on Shaftesbury Avenue as well.

What do you like about the Wendy's French Fries? I noticed you post from Vancouver (we have great Fries too at Chambar and Cafe de Paris)

Stephen

Vancouver

No idea about branches nowadays; there certainly used to be one on Shatesfbury Ave, but not for many years. There used to be various branches scattered across the capital but I haven't seen for many years. Have sneaking suspicion they sold out in UK to someone else a few years ago but can't think of any details

And no I don't think its discrediting noone to say nuffink about Wendys. I always thought their burgers were great - expecially the Hamburger Deluxe which have a lovely sweetness from the tomato and the sauce ya just don't get a MaccyDs. Didn't think the bigger burgers were as good though...

ta

J

More Cookbooks than Sense - my new Cookbook blog!

If I remember correctly, Wendy's claim to (burger) fame was a square patty.

Stephen, surely the best chain hamberger joint (in Vancouver at least) is White Spot.  Don't ask me where the name comes from.

Mark, yes White Spot still has a reputation here for it's burgers although they even seem to be downsizing, closing, or moving. It's time for the gourmet burger to reign supreme!

Stephen

Vancouver

"who needs a wine list when you can get pissed on dessert" Gordon Ramsey Kitchen Nightmares 2005

MY BLOG

I always find this page useful.

It tracks ownership of the fast food chains and is regularly updated. It's aimed at boycotters but is a useful fact checker when pontificating.

For our Canadian friends, they now appear to own Tim Horton's.

On their corporate site I can only find reference to US and Canadian franchises.

There used to be one on the corner of Windmill St and Shaftesbury Av - It was the last place I actually ate a chain burger and I was, as they say, very, very drunk but I remember it tasted fantastic.

Tim Hayward

"Anyone who wants to write about food would do well to stay away from

similes and metaphors, because if you're not careful, expressions like

'light as a feather' make their way into your sentences and then where are you?"

Nora Ephron

The problem with Chambar, Cafe De Paris, etc., is that they are in vnacouver, and i am in london/. plus, i am not in the habit of fine-dining every time i want a quick bite... !

As far as White Spot goes, it is very hit or miss.. the BEST whitespot, bar none. is the white spot express near kits beach. the owner is fastidious and looks over everything....! whitespot has def. downgraded in the past 10 years tho, the burgers never used to be pink nad grey colored!~

Stephen

Vancouver

And no I don't think its discrediting noone to say nuffink about Wendys. I always thought their burgers were great - expecially the Hamburger Deluxe which have a lovely sweetness from the tomato and the sauce ya just don't get a MaccyDs. Didn't think the bigger burgers were as good though...

ta

J

funny u say that, as i always order 2 hamburger deluxes in leiu of a larger burger (they are sorta sickly)... but in fast food world, nothing beats the junior hamburger deluxe at wendys (excpet maybe teh baby burger at A&W)...