• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Bruichladdich's 92% abv Whiskey

Gifted Gourmet

article from Observer Guardian UK

A 17th century firewater, more than two spoonfuls of which was said to be enough to kill a grown man, is to be revived by a whisky distillery in Scotland. Twelve barrels of the world’s most alcoholic whisky, or enough to wipe out a medium-size army, will be produced when the Bruichladdich distillery revives the ancient tradition of quadruple-distilling today...  Jim McEwan, Bruichladdich’s master distiller, said that the quadruple-distilled whisky would be very similar to the spirit .."It will be very floral, but most importantly it will take your breath away." Bruichladdich has a reputation among Scotland’s distilleries for being one of the more eccentric and outspoken.

What's the proof of your personal favorite scotch? :huh:

Melissa Goodman aka "Gifted Gourmet"

It's funny or maybe just a compliment to Aberlour, but the first time I had the a'bunadh I didn't need any water. It was very smooth for such a high proof spirit. I have had similar proof whiskeys and have always needed the water to cut it a little bit.

I do cut it with a little water now though.

It's funny or maybe just a compliment to Aberlour, but the first time I had the a'bunadh I didn't need any water.  It was very smooth for such a high proof spirit.  I have had similar proof whiskeys and have always needed the water to cut it a little bit.

I do cut it with a little water now though.

possibly the sherried taste? I tend to cut sherried whiskeys less often than peats. Anyhow, nice choices

Edited by Paul L (log)

It's a lovely whisky, and reminds me of Brora quite a bit. Sadly Brora is now mothballed with little hope of re-opening.

Interesting that mine is 0.1% stronger than yours, probably a different cask.

Most new-run spirit (straight out of the still) is diluted with a small proportion of water before being used to fill the cask. Once matured, it's cut down again before bottling (this step is usually skipped in 'cask-strength' whiskies).

As it matures in cask, whisky loses strength as the alcohol evaporates quicker than the water, so this one will have to be distilled with an initial alcohol content well above the final 92%. How much of the character of the whisky is going to be left behind in the still?

Allan Brown

"If you're a chef on a salary, there's usually a very good reason. Never, ever, work out your hourly rate."