• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Main line sushi recommendation?

shacke

I am thinking of trying a new sushi place on the main line somewhere. I heard of Samurai sushi in Bryn Mawr but only from non-gullet sources. Anyone been there?

I have been to Mikado (our standby) and Fuji plenty of times. Anywhere else I may be missing?

Going tonight hopefully. Yeah - short notice I know.....

Evan

Dough can sense fear.

My favorite place when I lived there (I actually wrote a Citysearch review about it) is called Hana. It is located in a shopping center on Lancaster Ave., on the side of the shopping center next to a laundromat. I believe it is past the Wayne town center if you are driving away from the city and maybe across from the Thai Pepper. The sushi is delicious, they have a great dinner special with courses of soup, noodles, tofu and sushi.

I am thinking of trying a new sushi place on the main line somewhere.  I heard of Samurai sushi in Bryn Mawr but only from non-gullet sources.  Anyone been there?

I have been to Mikado (our standby) and Fuji plenty of times.  Anywhere else I may be missing?

Going tonight hopefully.  Yeah - short notice I know.....

Evan

have you tried nectar in berwyn yet? might be a little fru fru for what you're looking for, but they have really good sushi.

"The perfect lover is one who turns into pizza at 4am."

Charles Pierce

My favorite place when I lived there (I actually wrote a Citysearch review about it) is called Hana. It is located in a shopping center on Lancaster Ave., on the side of the shopping center next to a laundromat. I believe it is past the Wayne town center if you are driving away from the city and maybe across from the Thai Pepper. The sushi is delicious, they have a great dinner special with courses of soup, noodles, tofu and sushi.

I second Hana in Wayne. Very traditional sushi - and one of the few in the area run by Japanese, as opposed to Korean or Chinese owners.

Hana Restaurant website

BYO, so make sure you bring some cold beer and sake!

Edited by vw8v (log)

Many thanks for restoring my faith in Philadelphia sushi. I have never really been bowled over by sushi in the area for the most part but Hana's fish was just flat out excellent. I will most definitely be back. The "dinner" option is indeed a good choice - adding several little plates for a nominal charge. Being a BYO is always helpful too.

The prices are really reasonable. I over ordered on toro as it was just so outstanding and was still happily surprised at the bill. $40 a person with tip.

Delicious. :wub:

Evan

Dough can sense fear.

I heartily recommend Sampan Inn at the corner of Darby Rd & Brookline Blvd in Havertown. Daring soul that I am, I had sashimi there on Monday afternoon. I would have thought the delivery truck had just come, it was so fresh. I've been going there for a few years, but I rarely eat from their Chinese menu because their Sushi, Sashimi and Maki are so fresh and delicious.

I hear they have a sister restaurant called Shangri-La on Montgomery Ave across from Murray's Deli, but I haven't tried it yet. I'll be sure to post if I do, especially if it's as good as Sampan Inn.

I heartily recommend Sampan Inn at the corner of Darby Rd & Brookline Blvd in Havertown. Daring soul that I am, I had sashimi there on Monday afternoon. I would have thought the delivery truck had just come, it was so fresh. I've been going there for a few years, but I rarely eat from their Chinese menu because their Sushi, Sashimi and Maki are so fresh and delicious.

I hear they have a sister restaurant called Shangri-La on Montgomery Ave across from Murray's Deli, but I haven't tried it yet. I'll be sure to post if I do, especially if it's as good as Sampan Inn.

Shangrila is terribly average, IMHO, although I haven't had the sushi since it burned down. I assume its reincarnation is the same - the chinese menu is.

Dough can sense fear.

Post facto, I'll throw my vote into the hat for Hana as well. When I worked in Radnor several years ago, it was a weekly lunch stop. Not only is their sushi always fresh, well cut and well presented, their cooked dishes are traditional and top notch. I haven't had better udon anywhere in the tri-state area.

If you're looking for fancy decor, lots of bells and whistles or crazy Americanized maki, you may be disappointed. If you're looking for great food in a quiet, typical Japanese setting, it's a great find. The fact that it's BYO is just a tremendous bonus.

PS: Although Sampan Inn is much closer to home for me, I will make the drive out to Hana ten times out of ten.

• 3 weeks later...

thanks for the Hana recommendations ... went there last night with family for someone's birthday dinner and the sushi was excellent: very fresh and well presented... the service was quick and friendly, and overall it was a great meal... the decor is a bit strip-mall-ish, so this is not the romantic hide-away locale.

byob was a nice bonus and even though the tab was on the father-in-law, he hapilly stated that this was the cheapest birthday dinner ever.

I belch, therefore, I ate...