• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Last Meal, Philly Style

Tim Dolan

When I was posting on the Studiokitchen thread I wrote that the rib-eye looked so good I would make it my last meal before being sentenced to death. Hopefully I'll never be in such a situation, but it got me thinking; what would really be the last thing I ate in Philly? I'm going to put some stipulations on this thread. I'm talking about only one food item, not an entire course, so the whole 9 yards at Le Bec Fin is out. Also, I have a feeling that there might be an overwhelming response in favor of Studiokitchen items, so Studiokitchen is out! Yeah I said it. I don't want this to turn into Studiokitchen part 2, SK already has it's own amazing thread. Everything else, apps, entrees, sandwiches, slices, whatever, is fair game.

My choice might be boring and maybe too stereotypically Philly, but my last meal would be a Dalessandro's cheesesteak. Whenever I have to fly somewhere it's the last thing I eat when I leave and the first place I stop when I get back. Sitting at the counter at Deli's with a cheesesteak, no onions, liberally salted, moderately ketchuped, with a black cherry soda just can't be beat. So that's it for me, what would it be for you?

I would kill everyone in this room for a drop of sweet beer...

Homer Simpson

My choice might be boring and maybe too stereotypically Philly, but my last meal would be a Dalessandro's cheesesteak. Whenever I have to fly somewhere it's the last thing I eat when I leave and the first place I stop when I get back. Sitting at the counter at Deli's with a cheesesteak, no onions, liberally salted, moderately ketchuped, with a black cherry soda just can't be beat. So that's it for me, what would it be for you?

Roast Pork Italian beats that. And you get the fumes coming off the WW bridge as a bonus.

Dum vivimus, vivamus!

Roast Pork Italian beats that. And you get the fumes coming off the WW bridge as a bonus.

Damn, I was just gonna say that... with rabe of course and extra sharp provolone from the venerable Tony Lukes on Oregon Avenue, not the various outposts.

Edited by Jeff L (log)

Hoagies, cheesesteaks, pork sandwhiches.

The ones I've had here in SF have been very good at all.

They probably call them "Philly cheesesteaks" out there, no?

Rule 1:

If the place adds "Philly" or "Philadelphia" before the name of the sandwich, it's probably a pale imitation of the Real Thing.

(This just conjured up a memory of a deservedly short-lived franchise operation called "Philly Mignon." There was an outlet in the food court at Independence Center in suburban Kansas City.)

As for my last meal? Never mind what I would like to eat before I die.

I comfort myself with the thought that once I depart, there is a Levis hot-dog-and-crabcake special with a glass of Champ Cherry soda waiting for me in Heaven.

Sandy Smith, Exile on Oxford Circle, Philadelphia

"95% of success in life is showing up." --Woody Allen

My foodblogs: 1 | 2 | 3

I would have to have the chicken fingers from Good Dog. I am a HUGE fan of the chicken fingers. Any place I go I always make it a point to get an order. So needless to say I've had my fair share and the best I've come across are at Good Dog. They're wrapped in ham then nicely breaded, served wtih the most tasty mystery sauce. If you ever go to sample their Good Dog Burger DEFINITELY make it a point to get the fingers as an app.!!!!!

I would have to have the chicken fingers from Good Dog.  I am a HUGE fan of the chicken fingers.  Any place I go I always make it a point to get an order.  So needless to say I've had my fair share and the best I've come across are at Good Dog.  They're wrapped in ham then nicely breaded, served wtih the most tasty mystery sauce.  If you ever go to sample their Good Dog Burger DEFINITELY make it a point to get the fingers as an app.!!!!!

hi there nicole--welcome to the PA forum.

wrapped in ham, eh?

I would sink my teeth into a Tacconelli's pizza pie.  One of the best pizzas anywhere on Earth.

You need to try Delorenzo's on Hudson Street in Trenton for the best

I have tried the other Delorenzos on Hamilton and while good, very good infact, it doesn't rival Tac's.

I will have to try the one of Hudson though. The consensus seems to agree with you. Actually, some pizza afficianado that took a year to sample the best pizzzerias accross the country has this place pegged as a top 10 pie.

Edited by crusio's (log)

I personally haven't tried it yet, but the whole roast pig at Amada seems like it would be very Last Supper-esque. Would that make the cut?

I would kill everyone in this room for a drop of sweet beer...

Homer Simpson

I personally haven't tried it yet, but the whole roast pig at Amada seems like it would be very Last Supper-esque. Would that make the cut?

Try Delorenzo's, it's more than worth the trip to Trenton and the inevitable wait on weekends. Tip: No bathroom and it's byo. If I recall, they were #2 in that top 100 book. Some joint in Chicago got first place.

As one of the lucky attendees at the recent porkapolooza, Amada not only makes the cut but should be one of the finest last meals you could wish for!

I know this isn't the point, but my last meal Trenton-style would DEFINITELY be a Delorenzo's sausage pie. Hands down, no contest.

Choosing from all the options in Philadelphia is too hard. Maybe a roast pork Italiano from Tony Luke's to be quintessentially Philly. That Amada pig is good stuff, though! (I think Jeff L and I are slowly morping into the same person...)

I know this isn't the point, but my last meal Trenton-style would DEFINITELY be a Delorenzo's sausage pie. Hands down, no contest.

Choosing from all the options in Philadelphia is too hard. Maybe a roast pork Italiano from Tony Luke's to be quintessentially Philly. That Amada pig is good stuff, though! (I think Jeff L and I are slowly morping into the same person...)

It's the pork no matter how you slice it Diann! Until you get to Delorenzo's and of course you want sausage on your pie.

It's the pork no matter how you slice it Diann! Until you get to Delorenzo's and of course you want sausage on your pie.

Don't forget, sausage is pork too. Mmmm, piggy!

Don't forget, sausage is pork too. Mmmm, piggy!

Yes, that's why I mentioned it in my post! Personally, I only like fresh garlic on my Delorenzo tomato pies.

I think that I would want the last taste on my lips to be that of a Delorenzo's tomato pie, flawless in its simplicity, with a glass of Yuengling alongside.

Rich Pawlak

Reporter, The Trentonian

Feature Writer, INSIDE Magazine
Food Writer At Large

MY BLOG: THE OMNIVORE

"In Cerveza et Pizza Veritas"

I think that I would want the last taste on my lips to be that of a Delorenzo's tomato pie, flawless in its simplicity, with a glass of Yuengling alongside.

Yeah, perfect, that's just what I meant. I do think, however, the garlic raises the bar a bit!

Sacrilege! Yuengling at Delorenzo's is meant to be drank straight from the bottle!

I belch, therefore, I ate...

Sacrilege! Yuengling at Delorenzo's is meant to be drank straight from the bottle!

It is sacrilege to drink decent beer out of a bottle; good beer deserves a glass whenever possible. Yuengling Lager or Chesterfield Ale, both superb partners with pizza, are such beers.

Rich Pawlak

Reporter, The Trentonian

Feature Writer, INSIDE Magazine
Food Writer At Large

MY BLOG: THE OMNIVORE

"In Cerveza et Pizza Veritas"

It is sacrilege to drink decent beer out of a bottle; good beer deserves a glass whenever possible. Yuengling Lager or Chesterfield Ale, both superb partners with pizza, are such beers.

Wow, to think I've been drinking Pilsner Urquell straight from the bottle, another fine beer paired with Delorenzo pizza.

If my memory serves me, given the red plastic "glasses" at said pizza mecca, the closest thing to actual glass is the bottle... now then, if you are tlking BYOG, pour me in!

I belch, therefore, I ate...