• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Need a Rec.--quiet, quick and downtown

My husband's having dinner with an visiting friend who's asked my husband to get a reservation somewhere that's quiet (he says he's going deaf) and where the food will come quickly (they're eating after the friend reads at a local bookstore, and the friend expects to be hungry and wanting wine). Past experience with this friend suggests the food should be quite good too. Any suggestions? They'll be in Pioneer Square and could take a cab to somewhere nearby, but they'll be heading out around 9:00 and don't want to end up in a closing restaurant. Friends have recommended Il Terrazo Carmine, Andaluca, Place Pigale, and Chez Shea. I've only been to Il Terrazo of those (we moved here in September) and don't remember it being particularly quiet. We tried out Zoe, one of our favorite places, last night, but it was pretty noisy.

Thanks for any recommendations.

[sorry for the awkward header--I'm a new poster]

Edited by Sue Flay (log)

Most of the high end places in town (Mistral, Lampreia, Rover's, Canlis, Palm Court) are quiet, but I don't know if you're looking to drop that kind of $. At lower price levels, it gets really hard to find a place that's both quiet and good. Geneva comes to mind for quiet, but I haven't even eaten there in it's current incarnation.

Most women don't seem to know how much flour to use so it gets so thick you have to chop it off the plate with a knife and it tastes like wallpaper paste....Just why cream sauce is bitched up so often is an all-time mytery to me, because it's so easy to make and can be used as the basis for such a variety of really delicious food.

- Victor Bergeron, Trader Vic's Book of Food & Drink, 1946