• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

eG Foodblog Tag Team IV: Marlene, Dave, snowangel - Cold Turkey, Three Ways

Is it just me? Why do I have this mental image of Groucho Marx waggling his eyebrows and instead of the cigar, he is brandishing an asparagus?

Ok. It is early yet.

Lately I have been adding red pepper flakes along with whatever comes to mind for my roasted asaragus. It has been really cheap here so I have been roasting it a lot. About the only time I steam or blanch it anymore is to add to the marinade from Pickled Shrimp. When I make this recipe, I purposely get some asparagus. After eating the shrimp, which usually doesn't take long, the asparagus is blanched or barely steamed and put into the marinade. If I don't just eat it, the asparagus and the onions make a dynamite salad.

Linda LaRose aka "fifi"

"Having spent most of my life searching for truth in the excitement of science, I am now in search of the perfectly seared foie gras without any sweet glop." Linda LaRose

Marlene, what Susan said about the green beans, blanched and in the skillet with butter, and add some good Dijon and some chopped chives as well. Yummy, and the mustard would be a nice foil to the short ribs richness.

As for the smoking, good for you all. And Brooks too. I've been debating it for awhile. Last time I quit, I quit cold turkey, lasted for 2 plus years. While it may have been purely psychological the one thing I did when I wanted one was drink ice water with a sh*tload of lemon slices/juice in it. Don't know why, but it worked for me. Hardest time, cocktail hour. Best of luck.

Barbara Laidlaw aka "Jake"

Good friends help you move, real friends help you move bodies.

Alright, so, well, why not. Count me in. Last time lasted 10 years. Who knows? Maybe I'll get twenty this time. I'm going downstairs to knock out the last one now. Yikes.

I am spending the week at home, I might as well give it a shot-though smoking seems to be the least harmful thing to do down here right now.

Dude. This is so cool.

Dave Scantland
Executive director
dscantland@eGstaff.org
eG Ethics signatory

Eat more chicken skin.

So far, so good. I've been so busy that I haven't had a chance to miss smoking. Let's see. Two loads of laundry. The driveway is shoveled. Dishwasher unloaded. Kitchen counters wiped up.

But, breakfast. First off, I don't eat first thing in the morning. I don't usually eat in the morning until 10:00 am. Stems from my days working outside the house; day care fed the kids breakfast, so I toted leftovers to work and heated them up. Further, I rarely eat sweets. And, never before evening. I just don't like sweet things for breakfast. So, while I was doing some advance prep for dinner tonight, I reheated last night's leftovers -- chili.

gallery_6263_35_15105.jpg

I sort of tone it down from what I would like for my family, so I added liberal amounts of Chipotle Tabasco.

And, on to dinner preps. Diana has volleyball practice on Wednesday nights, so one of us has to take her, and leave the house at 6:45 (I'll be so glad when Sept. rolls around and she has a DL). Given that Paul doesn't get home until sometime between 5:40 and 6:00 pm, dinner has to be something that is quick to get on the table.

So, tonight, I'm doing a take on a Bittman Minimalist column recipe -- SE Asian Chicken Two Ways. Prep:

gallery_6263_35_27372.jpg

You'll note that these legs look odd at the bottom. One of the greatest tricks I've learned from eGullet is to either cut the bottom of the leg off, or cut around the bone to sever all of the tendons. Then, the leg behaves much more like a thigh. I didn't cut off the ends because if I do, they will more than likely puncture the ziplock bag, causing soy to leak all over the fridge. I'll cook the chicken and keep it warm and finish it as I start stir-frying brocolli.

Susan Fahning aka "snowangel"

Alright, so, well, why not. Count me in. Last time lasted 10 years. Who knows? Maybe I'll get twenty this time. I'm going downstairs to knock out the last one now. Yikes.

I am spending the week at home, I might as well give it a shot-though smoking seems to be the least harmful thing to do down here right now.

Welcome to the party, Brooks!

Marlene, what Susan said about the green beans, blanched and in the skillet with butter, and add some good Dijon and some chopped chives as well.  Yummy, and the mustard would be a nice foil to the short ribs richness.

I've been using dijon mustard lately, too. I picked this up from Fine Cooking, I think: skip the blanching, and toss the trimmed beans in a big saute pan with some olive oil or butter, over medium-high heat. Toss, but not too often. When they've picked up some color, add some liquid -- stock or wine (vermouth has been my favorite), or a combination. You don't need a lot, just enough to cover the bottom of the pan by a few millimeters. Lid on, and steam for a few minutes, until the liquid is gone and the beans are tender. Off the heat, add a little mustard and a squirt of lemon juice. Also, Marlene, I know you like to freeze super-reduced stock in cubes. If you're feeling decadent -- and this week seems reasonable for an indulgence -- this is a good time to use a cube. Toss it in the pan and swirl it around -- a nice umami glaze to finish.

Dave Scantland
Executive director
dscantland@eGstaff.org
eG Ethics signatory

Eat more chicken skin.

Susan . . . That is a terrific recipe. The balance of flavors is just right to me. I have used it on skinless boneless chicken thighs and skinless boneless chicken breast and it is all good. I sent it to my kids and I was glad to find something that works with what they are likely to pick up at the market. It works with pork and fish, too.

But the most terrific thing is that I learned fom you is how cool a microplane is for ginger and garlic.

Linda LaRose aka "fifi"

"Having spent most of my life searching for truth in the excitement of science, I am now in search of the perfectly seared foie gras without any sweet glop." Linda LaRose

Welcome to the party, Brooks!

I don't know about anything about a party. I'm going to go buy about 5 lbs. of good coffee. At least that's something.

Brooks Hamaker, aka "Mayhaw Man"

There's a train everyday, leaving either way...

Marlene, what Susan said about the green beans, blanched and in the skillet with butter, and add some good Dijon and some chopped chives as well.  Yummy, and the mustard would be a nice foil to the short ribs richness.

I've been using dijon mustard lately, too. I picked this up from Fine Cooking, I think: skip the blanching, and toss the trimmed beans in a big saute pan with some olive oil or butter, over medium-high heat. Toss, but not too often. When they've picked up some color, add some liquid -- stock or wine (vermouth has been my favorite), or a combination. You don't need a lot, just enough to cover the bottom of the pan by a few millimeters. Lid on, and steam for a few minutes, until the liquid is gone and the beans are tender. Off the heat, add a little mustard and a squirt of lemon juice. Also, Marlene, I know you like to freeze super-reduced stock in cubes. If you're feeling decadent -- and this week seems reasonable for an indulgence -- this is a good time to use a cube. Toss it in the pan and swirl it around -- a nice umami glaze to finish.

Ok now this sounds interesting. Beef or chicken stock? I've got both. and how's your day going anyway?

Marlene

Practice. Do it over. Get it right.

Mostly, I want people to be as happy eating my food as I am cooking it.

I am impressed. Truly! This is awesome. I had no idea. Actually I had no idea you guys smoked or that you were the three who were doing the blog. It was a great surprise to discover this just now.

I can't offer you support by way of sharing any quitting experiences with you -- not my own anyway -- because I never smoked. I think I was born with an aversion to cigarettes. Nor will I list the grandparents and parents and other relative and friends who have died from lung cancer; that falls into the too-numerous-to-mention category. But believe me, I know how difficult it is to break the addiction, and I admire you all for doing it, and especially for doing it publicly. And thanks for doing it publicly, as a Tag Team Foodblog!

Soba did you say twelve days?!?

People who quit say keeping busy helps. If that's true, you three already always-busy people have the benefit of that, especially in the coming days.

Congratulations to you all, Brooks included, on your smoke-free hours so far.

Life is short; eat the cheese course first.

Ok now this sounds interesting. Beef or chicken stock? I've got both. and how's your day going anyway?

Chicken stock.

I find that roasting green beans tends to really dry them out, for some reason.

Jason, Marlene

I am knoshing on these as I type. They are tender-crisp and juicy - not a bit dry. I preheated a pan in the toaster oven at 450, tossed the beans with some olive oil and salt and pepper, roasted for 4 mins, tossed, roasted for 3 more mins. Since this was a snack I sprinkled some grated cheese on them! Delicious:

gallery_6903_111_8490.jpg

Anna Nielsen aka "Anna N"

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

Our 2012 (Kerry Beal and me) Blog

My 2004 eG Blog

Anna they look great! I'm about to pop the braise into the oven and I've got coffee and a bagel coming up.

I don't suppose I should mention that I really would like a cigarette? I wont have one but oh my this is interesting.

Marlene

Chicken stock.

For the steaming portion, definitely. For the stock-cube finish, I've only used chicken, but I'm not sure it matters. At that concentration, it seems to me that you just get "meat" rather than a specific species. But that could be my tar-covered taste buds talking.

Dave Scantland
Executive director
dscantland@eGstaff.org
eG Ethics signatory

Eat more chicken skin.

It's already clear that there will be two danger zones for me: the work commute and the late night. The latter might be easy -- one thing I've noticed is the absence of nicotine stimulation. I'm rarely sleepy at this time of day, but today I am. Coffee consumption is up. I used to get halfway through a cup, then hit the parking lot for a smoke. By the time I got back, the coffee was cold, so I'd get a refill. All told, I probably drank six half-cups a day in this manner. I'm at three full cups already.

For the commute, I sliced up an apple and took it with me, figuring that was a reasonable replacement in size and in occupation of hands and mouth. It was, but I finished it about halfway to work (it's a 40-minute drive). Tomorrow, two apples, or a carrot-stick supplement. Or I'll eat more slowly. I've noticed that none of the three of us is a regular breakfast eater. I wonder if that's coincidence or the result of smoking; I also wonder if it will change.

Dave Scantland
Executive director
dscantland@eGstaff.org
eG Ethics signatory

Eat more chicken skin.

I'm rooting for all three of you down here.

Marlene, I think you should cook your asparagus for tonight's dinner, because IMO green beans keep longer and in better condition than asparagus does. Two favorite asparagus things:

1. Stir-fried with julienned shiitake mushrooms, soy sauce, mirin, sesame oil and seeds

2. Sauteed with butter, finished with a shot of balsamic reduction

I have a really good recipe around somewhere for stir fried asparagu, but it's eluding me at the moment. Finally I got my coffee and breakfast in while I was working on the braise prep.

Of course, all hail the coffee maker. The cuisinart Grind and Brew which Don sets up and makes in the morning before waking me up. What a guy.

gallery_6080_2476_43368.jpg

We got this bagel guillotine a while ago and we really like it.:

gallery_6080_2476_57950.jpg

This is the toaster I got with those airmiles a little while ago.:

gallery_6080_2476_44503.jpg

I tend to prefer my bagels well toasted and I couldn't decide between butter or cream cheese, so I had both!

gallery_6080_2476_65128.jpg

The short ribs are now in the oven braising away. This is just before adding the ribs back to the liquid then into the oven.

gallery_6080_2476_59498.jpg

Marlene

Marlene . . . I think I am in love with your toaster. What is it, please?

Linda LaRose aka "fifi"

Marlene . . . I think I am in love with your toaster. What is it, please?

That is a Cuisinart metal cast toaster. We really like it. Each side has separate controls and it works like a charm.

Marlene

To all four of 'quitters', best wishes for your success.

(Interesting that 'quitter' is usually an insult, but is the highest of compliments in this circumstance.)

I was going to suggest green beans prepared much as Jason did, except with toasted pine nuts instead of bacon, and a good squeeze of the lemon. But now I'm considering adding that stock-cube step to my recipe. It sounds very good.

posted by BarbaraY

So lets see the goodies you're going to make for us. You can't smoke while cooking (I hope).

There's a thought. Perhaps dishes involving lots of chopping and stirring? :wink:

I've read your previous blogs and enjoyed them thoroughly (and copied recipes from them). Im very much looking forward to this. Thank you.

<editted to correct grammar and add thanks.>

Edited by Kouign Aman (log)

"You dont know everything in the world! You just know how to read!" -an ah-hah! moment for 6-yr old Miss O.

Although it's difficult to make two huge behavioural changes at once, you can use exercise as a behavioural alternative to smoking (whenever you want to light up a cigarette, for example, take a walk around the block or pick up a Dynaband and do some bicep curls). 

An old buddy of mine beat his humongous cigarette addiction by taking up weight training. He's stayed quit for some 25 years now. He also wound up getting bodybuilder-huge (a testament to the size of his habit? :laugh: )

I didn't really notice food tasting better, which is odd because the one thing that I DID notice was that my sense of smell ramped up.  That's really the best deterrent because you realize how bad cigarettes smell!  We have a handfull of smokers here at my office and I can smell them coming a mile away.

After I finally quit, I was appalled to discover how stinky the interior of my own car smelled. I would come home from a night in a club (when they still allowed smoking in clubs) and be stunned at how my clothes reeked. It was kind of mortifying, really, to realize my friends had been putting up with this stank on me the entire time I smoked. :blush:

I don't suppose I should mention that I really would like a cigarette?  I wont have one but oh my this is interesting.

Yeah, boy howdy, isn't it *interesting* (in its own weird way) to watch one's Skinnerian reinforced behavior switches just flick on like that? :biggrin:

Heh. I should add here that I was another of those possibly annoying people who, when the time finally came, just put the damn cigarette down with nary a struggle. But I can't be all that proud of that, because right this very minute I am once again fighting that very same struggle only postponed by several years, around overeating. So I am right now *extremely* in touch with my own inner Skinner-box-trained pigeon. :laugh:

Amazing! What a coincidence! I stopped at Walgreens last night and laid in a week's supply of the patch! Tomorrow will be my first official smoke-free day since a cute guy offered me a cigarette at McGill. So add me to Brooks as fellow-traveller.

I am not going cold-turkey because I'm going to LA tomorrow for a visit with my daughter (anti-smoking zealot) and son-in-law (recent quitter.) I do not want to ruin a rare vacation by pulling a Linda Blair -- you know: head-spinning and projectile vomiting. And because the routine will be different, I'll avoid the commute and smoke routine Dave mentioned.

Now off for my last post-lunch smoke.

Margaret McArthur

"Take it easy, but take it."

Studs Terkel

1912-2008

A sensational tennis blog from freakyfrites

margaretmcarthur.com

I thought about lots of chopping things. The thing is, I feel a little spacey and lord knows I'm accident prone in the kitchen to begin with! I'm not at all sure I should be trusted with sharp objects right now!

Dave is right about the sleepy thing though. I've this overpowering urge to take a nap. And I truly think that smoking does have something to do with the three of us not really eating much or any breakfast at all. In the book I just finished reading, it said that nicotine withdrawal pangs are very similar to hunger pangs. So if you have your cigarette first thing in the morning, you've stimulated your system and "fooled" it into thinking you aren't hungry..

I've got two hour before I have to pick up the eating machine known as my teenage son. That nap is sounding better all the time.

And my husband who is of course supportive of this but isn't saying much (I think because he wants so badly for me to suceed - he's been a non smoker for about 20 years now) called and offered the helpful information that they raised the price of a carton of cigarettes today by $1.25. That would put a carton here in Ontario at anywhere from $65.00 to $75.00 per carton. I was a two pack a day smoker so as they say, you do the math. :biggrin:

Marlene

Just wanted to cheer all three of you on. You can do it! I say this because I have lived to see the most dedicated, stubborn smoker ever quit. My dad started when he was fifteen and was going strong at three packs a day at sixty-three. He had tried every way that was out there to quit, including Shick (got his money back). Patches, gum, hypnotism, nothing worked at all, including the fact that his own mother had died at fifty-six of emphysema due to smoking. The thing that finally clicked? Eight years ago, he asked me what I wanted for my birthday. I looked him right in the eye and said, "I want to to stop smoking. I want you around to walk me down the aisle, and I want you to meet your grandchildren some day."

He quit cold turkey after that. Not one cigarette since. Best birthday present I ever got in my life.

Kathy

Cooking is like love. It should be entered into with abandon or not at all. - Harriet Van Horne