• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Good Eats in the Poconos

Tim Dolan

I've spent the past few weekends up the Poconos trying to learn how to snowboard and I'm pretty tired of packing my own food or ordering from the same lame pizza joint that's closest to my house. Is there anywhere worth stopping at in between the Camelback and Jack Frost ski areas? Any good dinner spots or even a good place to grab a solid sandwich? I understand that, as a Philadelphian, the bar for a "good" sandwich is already high, but I'll take something that passes for Wawa quality, which I still haven't found.

I would kill everyone in this room for a drop of sweet beer...

Homer Simpson

there's a wawa at the intersection of the northeast extension and rt. 80. i'm sorry to say that i'm not familiar enough with the area that i know exactly where that is in relation to the skiing areas, but it's not far...

there are a couple of breweries up there--barley creek is one that i've had a few beers from; they were good. but again, i'm not sure where that is in relation to where you are specifically...

there's a wawa at the intersection of the northeast extension and rt. 80.  i'm sorry to say that i'm not familiar enough with the area that i know exactly where that is in relation to the skiing areas, but it's not far...

there are a couple of breweries up there--barley creek is one that i've had a few beers from; they were good.  but again, i'm not sure where that is in relation to where you are specifically...

Barley Creek Brewery at Camelback has decent food and very good beers. Try Black Widow, a delicious black lager, and a plate of nachos.

Rich Pawlak

Reporter, The Trentonian

Feature Writer, INSIDE Magazine
Food Writer At Large

MY BLOG: THE OMNIVORE

"In Cerveza et Pizza Veritas"

Driving out of Camelback last weekend I almost stopped in there, but was a little too bruised up and just wanted to get home. I'll definitely try it next week time I'm up though, which should be in two weeks. Thanks. I thoroughly enjoy microbrews, by the way.

I would kill everyone in this room for a drop of sweet beer...

Homer Simpson

I feel pretty confident they have some great mushrooms in the Poconos. But, just to be safe, take somebody from the Czarnecki family with you. I may have had a lot of Kool-Aid, but poison is not my favorite flavor.

By the way, does Knoebels count as good eats? (Does it count as the Poconos, either, come to think of it?)

I feel pretty confident they have some great mushrooms in the Poconos. But, just to be safe, take somebody from the Czarnecki family with you. I may have had a lot of Kool-Aid, but poison is not my favorite flavor.

By the way, does Knoebels count as good eats? (Does it count as the Poconos, either, come to think of it?)

:shock:

The Poconos? Hardly.

This pretty much describes the region: http://www.insiders.com/poconos/graphics/pocol1.gif

Try looking here: http://www.poconox.com/poconoforums/showthread.php?t=98

Other than the fries, what's good at Knoebels?

John

"I can't believe a roasted dead animal could look so appealing."--my 10 year old upon seeing Peking Duck for the first time.

I had one of the best meals of my life in the Camelback area...if I only knew where the heck I was...we must have found it in the local guide at the hotel. Somewhere off the main road I guess 611...it was waaaay down a dark and lonely road. We almost gave up and then there it was, an Italian restaurant in the middle of nowhere. So maybe ask if anyone knows of such a place. They served a fresh mozzarella broiled on a sizzle platter with toast to scoop it up with...oh well

tracey

The great thing about barbeque is that when you get hungry 3 hours later....you can lick your fingers

Maxine

Avoid cutting yourself while slicing vegetables by getting someone else to hold them while you chop away.

"It is the government's fault, they've eaten everything."

My Webpage

garden state motorcyle association

There's a kooky looking place called Continental Hot grill at: RTS 390 & 447 in Canadensis/Cresco.

From the outside, they advertise 24 hour service, and texas hot weiners. The weiners are OK, but the Pizza--surprisingly--is fantastic! Soft drinks only, I think.