• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

A Diary Of A Life At CIA

Girls, sorry to sound sexest, are the worst here.  I htink that a lot of women will back me up on this.  They are ruthless.  And maybe it's because there barging into a predominately mans world. 

Ha, maybe that explains something I experienced about 14 years ago! I was a freshman at Vassar, about 30 minutes away from the CIA, and a bunch of guys from the CIA came to our school to party. I guess they heard that we had wayyy more women than men. :laugh:

Well, they were horrid! Hitting on EVERYONE, and they completely vandalized our dorm. Here's the funny thing - they vandalized the dorm with FOOD! We had ketchup and mustard all over our bathroom walls!!

Danielle Altshuler Wiley

a.k.a. Foodmomiac

I can see that the CMC (try saying that five times before coffee!) has been answered.

I really liked Chef Andreini. He's quite a character and has about the best story I've heard, about how he came to be a CIA instructor.

Group leaders ... LOL! We kicked our first one to the curb; he was a drunk (at 22, no less) and we just had to boot him. It means so, so much at first and believe me, you'll have to work hard to find someone to do it after Externship. It's truly a thankless job, especially when you pull a chef who gives leaders a grade based on how well they make the team behave. (And some chefs just hate group leaders in general ...)

Some of the younger women there treat CIA like an extension of high school, which is a shame for them. My team was very small, mostly male, and they politely informed me that "Fabby Rocks, baby!"

And I does. And did. Keep it coming, chianti. I'm loving this!

"Oh, tuna. Tuna, tuna, tuna." -Andy Bernard, The Office

Some of the younger women there treat CIA like an extension of high school, which is a shame for them. My team was very small, mostly male, and they politely informed me that "Fabby Rocks, baby!"

I couldn't say this any better. The truth be told, the girls that are into to it, love it, drive for it are even high praised by the guys. We find it really cool to hang out with a girl that feels like us. They are put in the spotlight sometimes.

The whole extension of high school speaks so perfectly. And there are a couple guys like that. But they don't seem to last long. Guys who aren't into this seem to quit faster. But the girls fitting this description seem to feel, I guess pressured by there parents maybe? There is one girl that fits this experience, and she is always commenting her parents won't let her miss a class, or her parents won't allow a B. Something like that. I'm going to be helping here any way I can because shes like a headstrong puppy that wants to be the leader of the pack. Not knowing whats out there to snatch her up. The last thing I'd want it someone like that to break, could be dangerous to me :laugh: .

Dean Anthony Anderson

"If all you have to eat is an egg, you had better know how to cook it properly" ~ Herve This

Pastry Chef: One If By Land Two If By Sea

I really liked Chef Andreini.  He's quite a character and has about the best story I've heard, about how he came to be a CIA instructor.

I'm so glad he's still out there terrorizing young chefs...while I could have cheerfully gutted and barbecued him, I know he only rode me like he did because he cared and thought I had it in me to succeed. If he could only see me now...I know he would be proud. I am what I am (at least in the kitchen) due in part to his extreme drive for perfection.

There are several cringe-worthy memories about him in my head...to this day I cannot eat mango salsa without thinking of him...and I still guard his recipe for Pear Anise soup with my life - he told us that if he ever came to someplace we worked and saw it on the menu he would gut us like a halibut. Every time I make it, I toast his memory.

I really MUST email that man...

Awesome stories in this thread...really brings back those days in culinary school.

Don't try to win over the haters. You're not the jackass whisperer."

Scott Stratten

I'm so glad he's still out there terrorizing young chefs...while I could have cheerfully gutted and barbecued him, I know he only rode me like he did because he cared and thought I had it in me to succeed.  If he could only see me now...I know he would be proud.  I am what I am (at least in the kitchen) due in part to his extreme drive for perfection.

that was something I learned early on in school: that the people who the chefs pretty much stayed cool with, were the ones they may like and enjoy but didn't really care about. Best thing I did was in C block, was ask my chef after class what I could do to make myself absorb and learn faster. (That was after he kicked my butt from the moment I picked up the knife ...) I will never forget what he told me; it was a turning point in my education and something that no one in 15 years in the industry had told me before.

Do email Chef Andreini! I'm sure he'd remember you. He may have told us stories about you! :raz::raz: Now, what would it take to get the pear anise recipe ... :hmmm:

Chianti, do you know which block Chef Schorner is teaching? He is amazing. He was our faculty advisor in Aspen a few years ago, and when Jacques Pepin came into the room to say hello to him, he told all of us that he (Pepin) was where he was, because of Schorner. (Watching him work was something I'll never forget.)

Best thing I did was in C block, was ask my chef after class what I could do to make myself absorb and learn faster.  (That was after he kicked my butt from the moment I picked up the knife ...)  I will never forget what he told me; it was a turning point in my education and something that no one in 15 years in the industry had told me before.

I'm dying over here! What was it?

Edited by NYC Mike (log)

-Mike & Andrea

Best thing I did was in C block, was ask my chef after class what I could do to make myself absorb and learn faster.  (That was after he kicked my butt from the moment I picked up the knife ...)  I will never forget what he told me; it was a turning point in my education and something that no one in 15 years in the industry had told me before.

I'm dying over here! What was it?

It came down to this: "You a mom?" [uh, yeah] You done this for a while before? [uh, most of my adult life.] You used to being in charge and responsible for people, product, output? [well, sure.] Etc. Here's what he said to me:

"Helping someone out when they're in the weeds is different from taking responsibility for their education, behavior, performance, state of mind. They won't learn if you're constantly working two stations, it's not your problem if they're struggling and tired of being shouted at. They won't learn if you keep running interference. You'll perform just fine ... but you won't learn. Keep your head down and focus."

And I did, and I do. :smile: Doesn't sound too earthshaking, but it was/is.

Well today we just started Baking Ingredients and Equipment technology, one of two classes for this 3 weeks.

We voted our group leader, which wasn't a vote because only one person ran, which surprisingly enough was the individual with the least amount of experience. I'm not sure if its nerve, guts, ignorance, or just plain old drive that made this 18 year old to want to lead a group of more experienced (some exponetially more) group around. I hope, and am banking on drive because I don't want to be picking this one up off the floor. Supposively group leader doesn't really do much until after extern which many people have stated, so no biggie. This may be a very good learning oppurtunity for her too. There apparently was a rumor going around that I was running for group leader and everyone got scared. I believe there was about 4-5 other girls running before they knew I was. Yet I never was. So come today to run there was only 1, I have no idea, and apparently I made a bunch of people mad because I didn't run against her :blink::laugh: . lol, ohwell. This one isn't comfortable with communication, she doesn't seem to be able to deal with problems on an individual level, so this might be good for her. She's going to see on a first hand level how much a managed position in this culinary world has to put up with. Since taking the role she has been more comfortable around me for one, this is good because hopefully she will trust me enough to let me steer her the right way.

After a little introduction for a semi-new teacher, Professor (Mrs) Migoya, which is Chef (Mr.) Migoya's wife, has her 2nd or 3rd class with us. She's an allumni, and the only place I could remember from her resume was Bouchon Bakery. Which I do believe we have a couple Bouchon employees on egullet. We did a little equipment idea from the materials we received back in block B (our knife/equipment kits). This kit includes a bench knife, rubber spatula, regular and fluted dough cutters, parisian scoop, apple core, bowl scraper, steel, cutting wheel, chefs knife, knife stone, paring knife, big and little offset spatula + regular, serated (bread) knife, pastry brush, various pastry tips, regular and candy thermometers, wooden spoon, a whisk, decorating comb, and a filet knife (looks more like a boning knife). Knives are "Mercer corp". All the tools came with two very nice black cases.

Then we did a minor excersize and took a tour. The tour consisted of all the bake shops and the "apple pie bakery". There we went over all the equipment used and received insight of what to expect from future blocks. It was comforting to see so many students having trouble with there work. It's not like you walk in and everyone is precisely moving to key. In the AP Bakery it seemed one young man was having extreme difficulty with the mini (6 inch) cakes he was preparing. I said to him as I approached, "excellent work", this being before I realized he was having a tough time. He looked at me with a blaze and went back to figuring out what he had to do. Poor thing was using an offset spatula to spread the filling layers (chocolate buttercream) inside those tiny rings. He couldnt seem to handle it. I wanted to reccomend using a bowl scraper or even a rubber spatula, but sometimes you will just increase frustration at that point :wacko: . The girl giving us a demo on the dough sheeter looked she had only used it about twice, one being an illustration for herself possibly. She ran the dough about 10 times before rotating it, and before that she struggled to get it to go through the first time. One of the girls explaining to us about the hobart mixers didn't know how to turn it on reverse, in which our instructor had to jump in. Then when Migoya went looking for the brace/sleeve/bowl attatchment the same girl told her there was none, or she couldn't find it. I pointed right below the mixer, she looked and came back up with a puzzled face. I then proceeded to have Migoya pull it out. All in all I found the tour humorous. I really can't wait to get up to the production kitchens, should get really interesting then.

Dean Anthony Anderson

"If all you have to eat is an egg, you had better know how to cook it properly" ~ Herve This

There we went over all the equipment used and received insight of what to expect from future blocks. 

Is this something new for the school, or is it just the way it's done in the B&P courses? Either way, I think it's a great thing to do. I heard that the school has waived even its minimal prior-experience requirements for admission?

In Culinary Arts, we went straight into fabrication classes, and some of the students were completely clueless about knife work, equipment, etc. :shock::shock::shock: I still remember the guy who, standing next to me, held half a tenderloin up in front of his (and my) face, declared it "full of useable trim," and started whacking at it with a dullish 8-chef. WHILE IT WAS STILL IN THE AIR. I was ducking and bobbing and saying, "hey, whoa, if you're gonna do that, please do it away from me," and he called me "b*tch." (Honey, you don't know the half of it.)

I am not making this up,

Fabby

seems they've waived the minimal experience, but in my opinion they need more than the 6 months. The tour is only baking and pastry, not sure why. I think these guys are struggling to give us proper class days, so they just throw filler in there. But whats funny is the more my experience progresses, the more I give my professors and the administration to include in the curriculum. I think they are going to start avoiding me because they cant keep up.

Dean Anthony Anderson

don't worry about the group leader. We had the same thoughts and fears when we chose our group leader. She only needs to be organized... well, having a little patience sure helps. I was very lucky with my class, as the average age in it was around 24 years. We were all mature and just wanted to get our work done. Plus, I was in a small class (I think it was 8 or 9 of us per group), so we didn't have much time to fool around.

now, the teachers are there to guide you, but they're not miracle workers. You only get out of school what you put it. you'll get your share of tools and your share of cocky cooks who think nobody can teach them anything new. As long as you remain humble and avoid getting caught in the drama (there's always drama), then the 2 years will be a breeze.

btw, if you ever run into a really cute girl from Colombia named Camila, tell her that Carlos says hi.

good luck!

Follow me @chefcgarcia

Fábula, my restaurant in Santiago, Chile

My Blog, en Español

What godito said. (And Carlos, I think you may have been a PM student during my pre-Externship semesters ...)

It seems that in all the Culinary Arts classes, there's always some 19-20 year old guy (always, a guy) who claims to have been working in classic French restaurants since they were, like, 12. Is it like that in B and P?

there's always some 19-20 year old guy (always, a guy) who claims to have been working in classic French restaurants since they were, like, 12. Is it like that in B and P?

Ha, this is funny because it kind of sounds like me. I am a little older and started when I was bout 14, but not classic french restaurants. Got to start out lame and work your way up to the good stuff. I don't have a common background, I was fortunate in a lot of ways.

Also there is one thing I believe in. Even a 45 year old dishwasher can teach you something.I don't care where you are from, what you have done, you can always learn something.

Dean Anthony Anderson

I just had Principles of Form and Design yesterday from 2:00 to 8:15, boy that dragged along. But I do appreciate this class quite a bit. I think every pastry chef should take a class like this, Its inspiring and developes your mind artistically. I trully do believe if I work hard in this class I will get a lot out of it. As a culinary starter I have been trained for flavor my whole life, But now I am learning that structurism. The purpose of contrast, colors, background, foreground, all the little things that may make or break a plates appearance.

Yesterday we did an excersize where we went through a bunch of pictures from Grand Finales and observed what we liked and did not like from the pictures. Then we discussed why we did not like or like and our professor, Ostwald, then explained to us the reason behind it.

This class is going to give me a lot to feed off of in future years. Knowing what can be too much, and when and how I can add more.

It was a little funny for me and him at first because our views clashed. I kept looking at the pictures from a culinarian point of view, and he kept looking at them from a designer's point of view. The excersize wasn't intended for the culinarian point of view, so he had to train my eye to let "flavor" and "purpose" go. (ie) He would put a picture up where he would explain why there may be too much going on, but I would rebudtle saying that the dessert needed these items for specific reason [not garnishes, big peices like sorbet, or cookies (meringue)]. There was one that was basically a strawberry plate "sampler" in which had like 10 different things relating to strawberry for one to eat. It was very beautifully displayed, and the pastry in me said leave it alone, its perfect. But my professor kept putting his hands over certain pieces and saying, "how does it look now", "better". I kept saying no, there nto getting there moneys worth :laugh: . We had a good time together with that, and I think hes starting to get my mind to come around to the otherside. Which if it does I hope I will be able to turn it off and on at my disposal.

Dean Anthony Anderson

there's always some 19-20 year old guy (always, a guy) who claims to have been working in classic French restaurants since they were, like, 12. Is it like that in B and P?

Ha, this is funny because it kind of sounds like me. I am a little older and started when I was bout 14, but not classic french restaurants. Got to start out lame and work your way up to the good stuff. I don't have a common background, I was fortunate in a lot of ways.

Also there is one thing I believe in. Even a 45 year old dishwasher can teach you something.I don't care where you are from, what you have done, you can always learn something.

I agree about learning from everyone.

Honestly, though, the whole "classical French restaurant since the age of 14" stuff is kind of silly. I'm sure you're different, but I've yet to meet one person who makes that claim, who is (a) female, (b) French, and © exhibiting the skills that would go along with their claims.

It was a little funny for me and him at first because our views clashed.  I kept looking at the pictures from a culinarian point of view, and he kept looking at them from a designer's point of view.  The excersize wasn't intended for the culinarian point of view, so he had to train my eye to let "flavor" and "purpose" go.  (ie) He would put a picture up where he would explain why there may be too much going on, but I would rebudtle saying that the dessert needed these items for specific reason [not garnishes, big peices like sorbet, or cookies (meringue)].  There was one that was basically a strawberry plate "sampler" in which had like 10 different things relating to strawberry for one to eat.  It was very beautifully displayed, and the pastry in me said leave it alone, its perfect.  But my professor kept putting his hands over certain pieces and saying, "how does it look now", "better".  I kept saying no, there nto getting there moneys worth :laugh: .  We had a good time together with that, and I think hes starting to get my mind to come around to the otherside.  Which if it does I hope I will be able to turn it off and on at my disposal.

This totally doesn't make sense to me. Why would you serve food that looks good but tasted flawed in some way if you could make it taste better?

PS: I am a guy.

(And Carlos, I think you may have been a PM student during my pre-Externship semesters ...)

Perhaps... I was the good looking latino :raz: I was a PM student before my externship and I was a PM student again for "restaurant row" That was september to november 04. Were those your pre-extern days?

Shalamanese, I think the idea is to get used to the design of a plate. We didn't have that class (or anything like it) in Culinary Arts, but I agree with the concept. You're right, you can and should make food taste good rather than (or at least before) you make it look good. But if you're trying to, say, photograph plates you are creating, you have to sacrifice flavor in favor of food that looks good. Did that make any sense? I feel like I'm not expressing myself correctly today. Last night was a looong night :wacko:

Follow me @chefcgarcia

My Blog, en Español

I think Godito helped me understand your question a little better, I was hesitant to answer.

I do believe it's better to learn design before flavor simply because it would be a little dumb to go through all these classes learning hands on techniques and then go through a design class. Me personally I am glad to be taking this class first because from here on out when we are learning "flavor" our minds will automatically be putting a "design" to that flavor. At the end on some of these classes, or all, we have to design plates, or bread sculptures, or cakes and it would be good to already have the art and design features in our head to build on. We have already had the fight numerous times not only on egullet but constantly in life, on tv and in books about pastry's of structure and flavor, which is more important. Just because we take this art class first doesn't mean its more important to the plate, it's just a preliminary for our minds to advance upon. From here on out we are going to see things in a different aspect and it's good to go through all of these blocks changing that aspect.

Dean Anthony Anderson

only if was rich, my wife and i would be there in an instant!

Maui -- you do know there's lots of aid available, don't you? Hit the website; it's a pretty good one. And do call the college; they can be very helpful. Where are you now?

Carlos -- Yeah, I was AM when you were PM. Not gonna play "do you know" here, but ours were pretty interesting teams, eh?

And chianti, I'm liking your description of how you're being taught.

Chianti- I've long been a fan of your posts (especially desserts!) and am thrilled to see you are at the CIA and sharing your experiences and adventures with us here. Thank you so much.

I personally am in the category of one who wishes to go to culinary school just for my own enjoyment, not necessarily for a job in the industry. I doubt I'd go to the CIA for it though, seems a bit overkill for my uses...but who knows! Maybe, if I dream real hard....

I'm sure you've read Ruhlman's Making of a Chef, how do your experiences compare so far? I imagine that his accounting was so detailed in some aspects that there could be a bit of surrealism or deja vu?

I love your explanation about design before flavors. It does make sense to have that as a tool in your pocket to use in building flavors rather than an application learned after exploring the flavors. Very interesting.

You are a natural leader and quite outspoken (its a good thing) so I'm sure you will do well and be a stand-out among your peers. If I recall correctly, you are in your early 20's, is that correct? You just have seemed to have so much experience in relation to your actual chronological age is my rememberance.

Good luck and I look forward to more reports and pictures!

Warmest Regards,

Genny

only if was rich, my wife and i would be there in an instant!

I'm not rich, infact I am quite in debt now :wink:

I'm sure you've read Ruhlman's Making of a Chef, how do your experiences compare so far? I imagine that his accounting was so detailed in some aspects that there could be a bit of surrealism or deja vu?

I have not read it, infact I am "reading" it right now. I'll get back to you on the deja vu as soon as I finish it :cool:

If I recall correctly, you are in your early 20's, is that correct? You just have seemed to have so much experience in relation to your actual chronological age is my rememberance.

I was hoping no one would actually ask that, but I guess I asked for it when starting this diary. My appologies for mis conception in previous bouts I am actually a whopping twenty-one years of age. Now opinions may shift, I will remain constant.

Dean Anthony Anderson

Carlos -- Yeah, I was AM when you were PM. Not gonna play "do you know" here, but ours were pretty interesting teams, eh?

Now I'm wondering if we ever met... But you're right. It was very good time to be alive... that's for sure.

And chianti, don't worry about your age. I was older when I went there (28), but I kept thinking I wished I was younger... the best time to graduate is when you're young and have the state of mind to work your ass of for a few years. Me? I'm too old! :raz:

In any case, the important thing is your attitude towards learning.

Follow me @chefcgarcia

My Blog, en Español

I was hoping no one would actually ask that, but I guess I asked for it when starting this diary.  My appologies for mis conception in previous bouts I am actually a whopping twenty-one years of age.  Now opinions may shift, I will remain constant.

And here I sit, hoping no one asks ME how old I was when I started! Yeah, the world is beating down my door, to have a 48 year old line cook, even with years of experience. Better you should do this young. You'll get out in two years with a solid culinary background and pastry training. Pretty good, I think!