• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Edit History

liuzhou

liuzhou

27 minutes ago, Kerala said:

Really interesting. As you know , @liuzhou

they are a huge presence on British supermarket shelves. I wasn't aware of any controversy around them (other than the global problem of over-fishing.)

Yes, indeed. I was brought up on John West sardines and tuna. The over-100 year-old company built up a solid reputation in less questioning days. In 2010 it was acquired by Thai Union and went down quickly with many serious problems coming to light.

liuzhou

liuzhou

24 minutes ago, Kerala said:

Really interesting. As you know , @liuzhou

they are a huge presence on British supermarket shelves. I wasn't aware of any controversy around them (other than the global problem of over-fishing.)

Yes, indeed. I was brought up on John West sardines and tuna. The over-100 year-old company built up a solid reputation in less questioning days. In 2010 it was acquired by Thai Union and many problems coming to light.