• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Dessert Wines?

Mano

I'm supposed to make desserts and pair wines for a dinner this weekend. I have some muscat and some LBV and tawny port, but I'm wondering which wines pair well with:

Chocolate

Lemon bars

Fresh fruit

Any other suggestions are welcome.

Edited by Mano (log)

“Watermelon - it’s a good fruit. You eat, you drink, you wash your face.”

Italian tenor Enrico Caruso (1873-1921)

With Chocolate, I like Banyuls and Maury in particular. Though lately, pairings with Pedro Ximenez have been very successful too. Your tawny port can be fine but I haev found Maury to be a better pairing....

With fresh fruits, it depends on the fruits, really. But an Alsace Gewurztraminer VT or SGN can do the trick. A Tokay Pinot Gris too. Not to discount Sauternes or Vouvray Moelleux of course... depends on the fruit.

Of course, a Muscat is a very good choive here.

If you're just looking at strawberries, try Champagne. But avoid Champagne with any other dessert (!!!).

Cheers

"Je préfère le vin d'ici à l'au-delà"

Francis Blanche

Thanks for your replies, they were very helpful. Someone else is making a chocolate torte, so it looks like I'll be making something to match with muscat. Probably a YALUMBA MUSEUM NV.

Among my favorite wine-dessert matches:

Mt. Blanc (Chestnut Puree) – late Harvest Riesling or Rose Champagne

Tiramisu – White Muscat/Sauternes/Late Harvest Sauvignon Blanc

Zabaglione – Marsala, Tokay, Champagne

Tarte Tatin – Ice Wine, Tokay Aszu

Crème Brulee – Sauternes, Late Harvest Sauvignon Blanc, Ice Wine

Souffle aux Orange – Sauternes, Tokay

Mille Feuille – Demi-Sec Champagne

Potes de Crème au Chocolat – Monbazillac

Souffle aux Amandes – Vouvray Moelleux

Omelette Sucree au Poitron (Sweet Pumpkin Omelet) – Sauternes, Barsac, Tokay

Tarte aux Raisins (Grape Tarte) – Vin Santo

Crepes Suzette One of my favorite desserts, but a dish that simply does not go with wine. Best bet, if you have to drink anything at all while feasting on this luxurious dish is a small snifter of Cognac or Armagnac. If you must use a wine go for demi-sec Champagne

Daniel,

Thank you for your input, as well. I noticed that you don't appear to favor muscat. Yesterday, I purchased the Yalumba and am considering matching it with Tarte Tatin or a similar fruit tarte. Unfortunately, the most important guest (my wife) cannot have dairy so tiramisu is out. As a dessert wine neophyte I performed a Google search and the Yalumba Museum NV was matched with a fruit tart several different places.

If this is a poor match, I'd appreciate your opinion. Otherwise, I'll try your pairings at future dinners.

The Yalumba wine is fortified (~17%) and very rich and unlike any most Old World muscats in many ways, so if might be a little powerful for many fruit tarts. Tarte Tatin should be no problem though, so enjoy.

Catalan Creme, Mexican flan or Sticky toffee puddings are another good match. Bummer about the dairy through.

Thank you all for your suggestions. I made the Tarte Tatan and it turned out relatively well with the exception of some lemon undertones as a result of Julia Child's suggestion of placing the apple slices in lemon juice, grind and sugar in order to extract the apple juice before making the tart.

In any event, I served it with a Yalumba and a Two Hands muscat, which are polar opposites. The former is tawny-portlike at 18% alcohol, while the latter was almost effervescent and was 6.5% alcohol. Other wines including sauternes and a Bollinger rouge Champagne were served with desserts. I didn't poll folks for their opinions but for the muscats, I preferred the Yalumba. The Two Hands was very good and will be served during an outdoor gathering this summer.

The sauternes was excellent but the Champagne was cloying and not a good match for the sweeter dessert it was paired with. On its own or with the right match it would've been very good.

Thank you all for your suggestions.  I made the Tarte Tatan and it turned out relatively well with the exception of some lemon undertones as a result of Julia Child's suggestion of placing the apple slices in lemon juice, grind and sugar in order to extract the apple juice before making the tart.

In any event, I served it with a Yalumba and a Two Hands muscat, which are polar opposites.  The former is tawny-portlike at 18% alcohol, while the latter was almost effervescent and was 6.5% alcohol.  Other wines including sauternes and a Bollinger rouge Champagne were served with desserts.  I didn't poll folks for their opinions but for the muscats, I preferred the Yalumba.  The Two Hands was very good and will be served during an outdoor gathering this summer.

The sauternes was excellent but the Champagne was cloying and not a good match for the sweeter dessert it was paired with.  On its own or with the right match it would've been very good.

Thanks for your inquiry and post. Dessert wine is great fun, and it is great to know so much more about the many options there are.

Peter Conway

Food and Wine Guy

Mano A Vino Montclair Food and Wine Blog