• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

I need a port for a present

gwilson

So some friends recently had their first brat - er, child. (heh heh - just kidding) I want to get them a vintage port so they can put it away and drink it on her 18th, 21st (or even 2nd) birthday. I was going to wait a couple of years and get one that says 2005 in real big numbers. But I've heard such good things about the 2003 vintage that just came out, that I think I should buy one now. (And it does say 'bottled in 2005' on the label.) What do you think?

Also, does anyone have any suggestions as to houses/wineries/whatever I should look for? The local store that has one of the best port selections has a couple 2003s for $80-$90. One is Quento de yourez or something like that (I think). The other one is one of the big labels - Warre's maybe? Price isn't much of an object, but I would like to stay under $100.

(Also just picked up the new Wine Enthusiast which has three ports in their top 10 wines of the year. Fonseca 2003 Vintage - 97; W & J Graham's 2003 Vintage - 96; Sandeman NV Royal Ambrosante Aged 20 Years Old Solera Pedro Ximenez - 93.)

Thanks for the help.

-Greg

That's a great idea. I have some friends who are big red wine lovers who are expecting their first and I think I will try to do the same, with some red instead of a port, probably. I'll track this topic and look forward to hearing the advice.

"God give us good taste, why bother?" Captain Jim's Sushi Chef

Probably a bit too expensive (around $500/bottle) but the one port I would lay down would be a 2003 Quinta de Noval Nacional. Only 250 cases made of this wine, made from a small vinyard of pre-phyloxerra vines. I was lucky enought to taste a sample, and it blew the rest away.

If well kept it will certainly be investment worthy for example 1966's are around $1000/bottle

Pedro Ximemez, is not a Port Wine. It's a spanish wine from Jerez.

Taylors Fladgate Vintage 2003, is the best 2003 Port. It cost about $100,00.

Fonseca Vintage 2003 is also a great wine.

I love the Taylor Fladgate Late Bottled Vintage ports, which cost about $20 and are ready for immediate consumption. Of course they're nowhere near the long-aged vintages, but they're a good bit better than the tawneys, rubies, etc. at the equivalent price.

I love the Taylor Fladgate Late Bottled Vintage ports, which cost about $20 and are ready for immediate consumption. 

Late bottled Vintage Ports , are a good choice. They are a very good value for money.

Pedro Ximemez, is not a Port Wine. It's a spanish wine from Jerez.

Taylors Fladgate Vintage 2003, is the best 2003 Port. It cost about $100,00.

Fonseca Vintage 2003 is also a great wine.

Thank you for correcting me - I didn't realize. And thank you for the recommendations. I'm actually going (window) shopping this weekend.

-Greg

So some friends recently had their first brat - er, child. (heh heh - just kidding)  I want to get them a vintage port so they can put it away and drink it on her 18th, 21st (or even 2nd) birthday. I was going to wait a couple of years and get one that says 2005 in real big numbers.  But I've heard such good things about the 2003 vintage that just came out, that I think I should buy one now. (And it does say 'bottled in 2005' on the label.) What do you think?

Also, does anyone have any suggestions as to houses/wineries/whatever I should look for? The local store that has one of the best port selections has a couple 2003s for $80-$90. One is Quento de yourez or something like that (I think). The other one is one of the big labels - Warre's maybe? Price isn't much of an object, but I would like to stay under $100.

(Also just picked up the new Wine Enthusiast which has three ports in their top 10 wines of the year.  Fonseca 2003 Vintage - 97; W & J Graham's 2003 Vintage - 96; Sandeman NV Royal Ambrosante Aged 20 Years Old Solera Pedro Ximenez - 93.)

Thanks for the help.

-Greg

You may not like kids, but you're a thoughtful friend! The idea of a vintage port produced or bottled the year of their daughter's birth is great. I'm new to port, but my input is don't sweat too much about which house the port is produced by unless they have a favorite. The ones you mentioned and the recommendations of WE will result in a terrific and memorable port. Just make sure you're invited when they drink it.

“Watermelon - it’s a good fruit. You eat, you drink, you wash your face.”

Italian tenor Enrico Caruso (1873-1921)