• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Sourcing in Kansas City...

Quick update on the Parkville Price Chopper on 45 Hwy....

I pretty much wrote off their meat counter after having ZERO luck with simple requests like having them cut a pork shoulder down into steaks that were thicker than the ones in the case....over the past couple of years of dealing with indifferent countermen I learned not to bother asking and went elsewhere. So I don't know if they've changed their management, BUT.....

I was in there this afternoon and spotted veal t-bones for what I thought was a good price, and when they were wrapping up a couple for me I mentioned I've never noticed them in the case before. The gentleman behind the counter said they had them most of the time, and if I didn't see them or any other veal cuts just to ask. Somewhat shell-shocked after my past experiences I inquired about sweetbreads, and they said they didn't have any right now but would be more than happy to order some in for me. The store was pretty packed, so I didn't take time to ask about prices or offal beyond sweetbreads or kidneys, but one employee jokingly mentioned "we can get whatever cuts you want in here....elephant may need a little lead time".

So there you go. I'll take them up on the sweetbread order this week and let you know how it goes. Not that I'll forsake my new friends at Paradise Meats in Trimble or anything, but having an agreeable butcher about half a mile from my house should come in handy.

Jerry

Kansas City, Mo.

Unsaved Loved Ones

My eG Food Blog- 2011

• 3 weeks later...
I'll take them up on the sweetbread order this week and let you know how it goes.

How did it go?

This is still really high on my radar, but the recent arrival of pasta maker and grinder attachments, as well as several cookbooks, have been kind of a bomb-blast in the kitchen. Plus, my desire to cook and my limited capacity to consume the food still haven't completely meshed yet.......and the thought of throwing out leftover sweetbreads is too horrible to think about.

Now that you've brought it up, I'm already off on one of my obsessive recipe searches that I will modify to make uniquely my own................I'll make this happen!

Jerry

Kansas City, Mo.

Unsaved Loved Ones

My eG Food Blog- 2011

• 8 months later...

Okay, after much procrastination and frustration due to some of the newbies at the meat counter I FINALLY just got a sweetbread order in from Price Chopper in Parkville. For any of you KC folks, just ask for Charlie or have the operator connect you to him....totally nice guy and is quick to get back with you if they don't have what you're looking for onhand. The downside is you may have to order in bulk.....I got a 20lb case, some to freeze and some to hand out to friends, but the upside is they are only $1.59/lb, so at least there are cuts of meat where the price has not gone they way of the oxtail.....

Off to soak some of these things and start perusing recipes for the weekend....

Going back next week to have him cut some marrow/stock bones. 'Tis the time of year for making copious amounts of beef stock and demiglace.

Jerry

Kansas City, Mo.

Unsaved Loved Ones

My eG Food Blog- 2011

• 3 months later...

I have a couple things to add to this discussion for now...

Wine

I had been on the search for a great wine store since I moved to KC from Ann Arbor, MI 3 years ago. Prior to a recent discovery I was relying entirely on Consentino's in Brookside, Costco and Lukas Liquor. My main problem with all of these places is that they focused heavily on California wines. Lukas Liquor probably had the best overall selection, but it's a pain for me to drive way out there just for wine. Consentino's has great prices and selection for being a grocery store. Costco, of course, has great prices and a good, yet limited, selection. I have been through several other wine/liquor stores in the area, but those three served me well for a while. I absolutely hate Berbiglia for anything (wine, beer or liquor).

My recent discovery was a shop just called Wine. It's located right in Brookside on 62rd St on the same side of the road and just a little bit down from Charlie Hooper's. I was shocked after a thorough examination of their selection. They had the expected high quality cabernet selection, but also excellent selections from regions other than California. I wasn't exactly on the hunt for a bottle, but I ended up walking out of there with a Jermann Pinot Bianco, a great Spanish Rioja Crianza and a bottle of Unibroue's 17th anniversary beer (dark Belgian style). I was also happy to see a nice representation of Oregon Pinot Noir and Washington Chardonnay, which is something I always look for. I also spotted a few bottles of Roederer Crystal Champagne, which brought to mind a lunch at l'Ambroisie in Paris (decadent, sentimental). In addition to the selection, I think their prices are right on and they're locally owned (by local I mean the owner lives in Brookside). They also keep a level 2 sommelier on staff if you have any questions. Lastly, they also hold wine tastings every Friday from 4-7 PM and due to the proximity to my house, I'll probably be there every Friday (including this one) with my wife and friends. Yes, I am infatuated with this place.

Seafood/fish

What is a good place for seafood/fish? Costco has some cheap stuff, but the quality seems questionable with certain things (I usually just buy trout there). McGonigle's selection seems to be very good and I have gotten fresh hamachi from there before, but at a price. McGonigles will also order pretty much anything too. Whole Foods seems to have a decent selection that looks high quality. Attempting to find seafood/fish in the middle of America can, of course, be challenging, but I'm trying to identify a good source for it.

I have a couple things to add to this discussion for now...

Wine

I had been on the search for a great wine store since I moved to KC from Ann Arbor, MI 3 years ago.  Prior to a recent discovery I was relying entirely on Consentino's in Brookside, Costco and Lukas Liquor.  My main problem with all of these places is that they focused heavily on California wines.  Lukas Liquor probably had the best overall selection, but it's a pain for me to drive way out there just for wine.  Consentino's has great prices and selection for being a grocery store.  Costco, of course, has great prices and a good, yet limited, selection.  I have been through several other wine/liquor stores in the area, but those three served me well for a while.  I absolutely hate Berbiglia for anything (wine, beer or liquor).

My recent discovery was a shop just called Wine.  It's located right in Brookside on 62rd St on the same side of the road and just a little bit down from Charlie Hooper's.  I was shocked after a thorough examination of their selection.  They had the expected high quality cabernet selection, but also excellent selections from regions other than California.  I wasn't exactly on the hunt for a bottle, but I ended up walking out of there with a Jermann Pinot Bianco, a great Spanish Rioja Crianza and a bottle of Unibroue's 17th anniversary beer (dark Belgian style).  I was also happy to see a nice representation of Oregon Pinot Noir and Washington Chardonnay, which is something I always look for.  I also spotted a few bottles of Roederer Crystal Champagne, which brought to mind a lunch at l'Ambroisie in Paris (decadent, sentimental).  In addition to the selection, I think their prices are right on and they're locally owned (by local I mean the owner lives in Brookside).  They also keep a level 2 sommelier on staff if you have any questions.  Lastly, they also hold wine tastings every Friday from 4-7 PM and due to the proximity to my house, I'll probably be there every Friday (including this one) with my wife and friends.  Yes, I am infatuated with this place.

Seafood/fish

What is a good place for seafood/fish?  Costco has some cheap stuff, but the quality seems questionable with certain things (I usually just buy trout there).  McGonigle's selection seems to be very good and I have gotten fresh hamachi from there before, but at a price.  McGonigles will also order pretty much anything too.  Whole Foods seems to have a decent selection that looks high quality.  Attempting to find seafood/fish in the middle of America can, of course, be challenging, but I'm trying to identify a good source for it.

For wine, may I recommend Cellar Rat in the Crossroads - knowledgable, friendly staff, great variety and frequent tastings/events. They also make their own fresh mozzarella and stock various delices. For a more warehouse approach, Riverside Red X has a vast selection of wine, beer, liquor (as well as a grocery, tobacconist, dollar store, tools - and 'historic' items - must be seen to be believed).

Seafood is a challenge in these parts. It sounds like you've found most of the spots. McG's will order just about anything for you (I called yesterday and am picking up some barramundi in a couple of hours). I have had mixed luck at Dean & DeLuca and needless to say it's not inexpensive. There is a high-volume Hen House on the NE corner of 119th & Roe that seems to have better seafood than many of the other locations (they also have kosher certification and offer a variety of kosher foods). Depending on what you're looking for, the Asian markets in the City Market area might be a more budget-friendly option. The large market to the northeast in particular has a lot of fresh fish, some in tanks, and you can predictably find head-on shrimp and the like as well as some more exotic species.

I still miss the VC (Village Corner), Merchant of Vino, The Party Shop on Packard, Sparrow Meats and especially Monahan's - so I feel your pain!

Judy Jones aka "moosnsqrl"

Sharing food with another human being is an intimate act that should not be indulged in lightly.

M.F.K. Fisher

For wine, may I recommend Cellar Rat in the Crossroads - knowledgable, friendly staff, great variety and frequent tastings/events. They also make their own fresh mozzarella and stock various delices. For a more warehouse approach, Riverside Red X has a vast selection of wine, beer, liquor (as well as a grocery, tobacconist, dollar store, tools - and 'historic' items - must be seen to be believed).

Seafood is a challenge in these parts. It sounds like you've found most of the spots. McG's will order just about anything for you (I called yesterday and am picking up some barramundi in a couple of hours). I have had mixed luck at Dean & DeLuca and needless to say it's not inexpensive. There is a high-volume Hen House on the NE corner of 119th & Roe that seems to have better seafood than many of the other locations (they also have kosher certification and offer a variety of kosher foods). Depending on what you're looking for, the Asian markets in the City Market area might be a more budget-friendly option. The large market to the northeast in particular has a lot of fresh fish, some in tanks, and you can predictably find head-on shrimp and the like as well as some more exotic species.

I still miss the VC (Village Corner), Merchant of Vino, The Party Shop on Packard, Sparrow Meats and especially Monahan's - so I feel your pain!

I forgot mention that I think it's a complete travesty that D&D is in Kansas and, as such, doesn't sell wine/beer.

I have been meaning to check out those Asian markets down in the City Market for some other ingredients so I'll investigate their seafood as well.

You know, it's really going back to Michigan that makes me miss good wine stores. There are all those in Ann Arbor, but also a bunch in the Birmingham area. I think McGonigle's is right on par with Sparrow Meats, which I love. I hate to mention it, but Merchant of Vino closed and a new store named Bello Vino opened in it's place. Bello Vino turned out to be just as good, if not better, than Merchant of Vino, but now Bello Vino just announced they were closing. Shame. Probably what I miss the most about Ann Arbor is Zingerman's, but that shouldn't be too surprising. It's especially bad because I can't find a decent Jewish deli in the KC area.

--------------------

Back to the sourcing topic, I found a place that makes blood sausage/boudin noir in the area. There's a little shop over in KCK called Krizman's House of Sausage (already mentioned in this thread a while back). From what they told me at McGonigle's the guy who owns the shop is Croatian so that might give you an idea of the style of blood sausage.

• 2 weeks later...

I forgot mention that I think it's a complete travesty that D&D is in Kansas and, as such, doesn't sell wine/beer.

I have been meaning to check out those Asian markets down in the City Market for some other ingredients so I'll investigate their seafood as well.

You know, it's really going back to Michigan that makes me miss good wine stores. There are all those in Ann Arbor, but also a bunch in the Birmingham area. I think McGonigle's is right on par with Sparrow Meats, which I love. I hate to mention it, but Merchant of Vino closed and a new store named Bello Vino opened in it's place. Bello Vino turned out to be just as good, if not better, than Merchant of Vino, but now Bello Vino just announced they were closing. Shame. Probably what I miss the most about Ann Arbor is Zingerman's, but that shouldn't be too surprising. It's especially bad because I can't find a decent Jewish deli in the KC area.

--------------------

Back to the sourcing topic, I found a place that makes blood sausage/boudin noir in the area. There's a little shop over in KCK called Krizman's House of Sausage (already mentioned in this thread a while back). From what they told me at McGonigle's the guy who owns the shop is Croatian so that might give you an idea of the style of blood sausage.

sorry, just noticed this - tend toward the Dining thread. Lo Siento. I love McG's but they aren't the end all be all that Monahan's/Sparrow combined are. What I really, truly lament, is that I could walk from my office, enjoy any of a number of freain' incredible 'counter foods' and pick up whatever I needed for any dinner - white trash to haute cuisine - and now I have to circumnavigate the metro to accomplish the same feat.

Judy Jones aka "moosnsqrl"

Sharing food with another human being is an intimate act that should not be indulged in lightly.

M.F.K. Fisher

• 1 year later...

Anybody know where to find unrefined oils? I want to experiment with using them in baked goods. I'm looking for unrefined peanut and sunflower, in particular, but I'd like any, just to see what they were like. I thought for sure Whole Foods would be a slam-dunk for this, but no joy...