• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Sourcing in Kansas City...

This is all great everyone!  Thanks a heap.  I can't wait to get back to KC and start cooking.  I feel pathetic for not finding a lot of these places before.

Cheers

Don't - they open, close and move almost constantly! I'm sure you'll be sharing new-found treasures with us before we know it.

Judy Jones aka "moosnsqrl"

Sharing food with another human being is an intimate act that should not be indulged in lightly.

M.F.K. Fisher

This is all great everyone!  Thanks a heap.  I can't wait to get back to KC and start cooking.  I feel pathetic for not finding a lot of these places before.

Cheers

Don't - they open, close and move almost constantly! I'm sure you'll be sharing new-found treasures with us before we know it.

Hush. Speak not blasphemy. We don't even have a Trader's Joe yet... please let us not lose what precious little we have.

Speaking of... with the merger of WF and WO - does anyone know whether our local WO will still be operating as such, or if we get the lucky break of getting two new WF?

u.e.

“Watermelon - it’s a good fruit. You eat, you drink, you wash your face.”

Italian tenor Enrico Caruso (1873-1921)

ulteriorepicure.com

My flickr account

ulteriorepicure@gmail.com

Cheers

Hush. Speak not blasphemy. We don't even have a Trader's Joe yet... please let us not lose what precious little we have.

Speaking of... with the merger of WF and WO - does anyone know whether our local WO will still be operating as such, or if we get the lucky break of getting two new WF?

u.e.

I am so afraid that they are going to close our only W.O. because of the liquor laws of Okieland. We do not fit the profile the WF demands.

It is good to be a BBQ Judge.  And now it is even gooder to be a Steak Cookoff Association Judge.  Life just got even better.  Woo Hoo!!!

A great place to check out is the newly expanded Hueng Vong Market at 4th and Grand. They have very cool produce walk-ins, sort of loosely arranged by hard vegetables, greens and herbs, and fruit type things. There are three, maybe four produce walk-ins. And great meat and seafood counters. I've been going to Hueng Vong for years at 5th and Walnut, but their new location is just wonderful.

Edited by maftoul (log)

A great place to check out is the newly expanded Hueng Vong Market at 4th and Grand. They have very cool produce walk-ins, sort of loosely arranged by hard vegetables, greens and herbs, and fruit type things. There are three, maybe four produce walk-ins. And great meat and seafood counters. I've  been going to Hueng Vong for years at 5th and Walnut, but their new location is just wonderful.

Agreed! I went there last week for the first time and was delighted. I thought I had posted it but, apparently, that was in an offline conversation. And they have more implements, serving and cookwares, too (or maybe they're just displayed in a more shopper-friendly way). Clearly they have grasped the new wasp-ish demographic of loft-dwellers and figured out (sadly, perhaps, but accurat ely) that wide aisles, hyper-refrigeration and bright lights sell. It's great to have TWO such wonderful Asian markets within a stone's throw of one another. And I think there is room for both -- I don't think either will drive the other out.

Fingers crossed, hoping we're actually getting an urban thing happening here.

Sharing food with another human being is an intimate act that should not be indulged in lightly.

M.F.K. Fisher

A great place to check out is the newly expanded Hueng Vong Market at 4th and Grand. They have very cool produce walk-ins, sort of loosely arranged by hard vegetables, greens and herbs, and fruit type things. There are three, maybe four produce walk-ins. And great meat and seafood counters. I've  been going to Hueng Vong for years at 5th and Walnut, but their new location is just wonderful.

Agreed! I went there last week for the first time and was delighted. I thought I had posted it but, apparently, that was in an offline conversation. And they have more implements, serving and cookwares, too (or maybe they're just displayed in a more shopper-friendly way). Clearly they have grasped the new wasp-ish demographic of loft-dwellers and figured out (sadly, perhaps, but accurat ely) that wide aisles, hyper-refrigeration and bright lights sell. It's great to have TWO such wonderful Asian markets within a stone's throw of one another. And I think there is room for both -- I don't think either will drive the other out.

Fingers crossed, hoping we're actually getting an urban thing happening here.

I will definitely visit Hueng Vong this week or weekend for comparison's sake. I'm most interested in checking out their produce section. It totally slipped my mind to mention that much of the produce last week at the Chinatown market was in REALLY rough shape....I couldn't believe some of it was left sitting out. My guess is that I was there the day before they got a new delivery, but still. Also worth mentioning that after I got home I noticed the tofu I bought was already four days past expiration...I rarely buy tofu and just didn't think to look while I was still in the store. Anyway, I'll be interested to see the differences between the two stores. It definitely sounds like Hueng Vong is shooting for a wider appeal.

Jerry

Kansas City, Mo.

Unsaved Loved Ones

My eG Food Blog- 2011

I agree with Dennis. It's a great store. The Oriental Supermarket is right off Marty at 103rd. They have the best selection of Japanese and Korean cookware that I've seen outside of Seattle. We bought our daughter who is a very good cook of Japanese food a takoyaki pan, different kinds of omelet pans and an interesting pan with fish shaped indentations for some kind of pancake. We usually make the drive out there from midtown if we want Japanese or Korean ingredients. They have expanded into the old kosher deli spot and carry even more great things. AND it's right around the corner from India Emporium!

I have been told by Dennis Kaniger that the Oriental Market at 103rd and Metcalf has, hands down, the best supply of Japanese products and ingredients. Haven't been there myself yet; heading there soon.
With the caveat that we're speaking in terms of Kansas City, I can vouch for that.

ulteriorepicure.com

My flickr account

Never been there but, in the interest of maintaining a perfect record of never agreeing with Dennis, I will go post-haste and find fault with it. :wink:

M.F.K. Fisher

I have been told by Dennis Kaniger that the Oriental Market at 103rd and Metcalf has, hands down, the best supply of Japanese products and ingredients. Haven't been there myself yet; heading there soon.
With the caveat that we're speaking in terms of Kansas City, I can vouch for that.

I thought we were always speaking in terms of Kansas City :biggrin:

Having recently visited Seattle, I can attest that we are indeed speaking in terms of the best we have available in Kansas City.

The biggest downside to most of the ethnic markets here is the produce. The best Asian produce is at the Hmong tables on the weekends at the City Market. Beyond that, it's hit or miss. Zeemanb's experience is pretty typical.

The best Asian produce is at the Hmong tables on the weekends at the City Market.  Beyond that, it's hit or miss. Zeemanb's experience is pretty typical.

Also, there is a table at the OP market on Saturdays (but not Wednesdays) that has Thai basil, Thai eggplant, bitter melon, Thai chiles, long beans, and a few other goodies. Everything's cheap and the girls behind the table are very friendly too. They're in the eastern third, on the southern side. Worth seeking out if shopping for Asian produce in the area.

Anyone know where to get veal bones and duck fat?

Duck fat - I think McGonigal's has it. (wench - weren't you ISO back in the colder days for duck fat for a flageolet?).

Let me know if you/where you find veal bones.

ulteriorepicure.com

My flickr account

I've purchased veal bones from McGonigle's.

One way to acquire duck fat is to ask a restaurant who serves duck and duck confit if they would sell you some. Many places keep the fat and often have more than they need. Le Fou Frog and Starker's Reserve come to mind. Hey, Big Country, can you spare some duck fat?

Anyone know where to get veal bones and duck fat?

Duck fat - I think McGonigal's has it. (wench - weren't you ISO back in the colder days for duck fat for a flageolet?).

Let me know if you/where you find veal bones.

Yes. McGonigle's has it- Whole Foods does as well and was cheaper than McG! McG can get veal bones if you make arrangements ahead of time.

Edited by chicagowench (log)

What do you mean I shouldn't feed the baby sushi?

• 2 weeks later...
If you feel like a road trip, Paradise Meats in Trimble, MO has good stuff, including Heritage Foods heirloom items (wagyu beef, berkshire pork, etc).

Just a quick followup.....drove up to Trimble w/chileheadmike on Saturday to survey the goods. Great selection of meats, though I stuck to Wagyu flatiron and a Piedmontese filet during this trip. Excellent customer service....if you don't see it just ask, and if they don't have it they can generally get it pretty quickly. I think I see some veal t-bones in my future.....

Jerry

Kansas City, Mo.

Unsaved Loved Ones

My eG Food Blog- 2011

...a Piedmontese filet ...

Do you happen to remember what other cuts they had of the Piedmontese beef? I'm thinking a nice rib roast would go perfectly with a bottle of Barolo for Christmas Eve dinner.

Thanks,

Frog

Most of their stuff was pre-cut and cryovac'd. They did have a wagyu brisket that looked very tempting. I'm sure they would order one for you. I'd call anyway, because, well living in Olathe, they're practically in Iowa.

That's the thing about opposum inerds, they's just as tasty the next day.

Most of their stuff was pre-cut and cryovac'd. They did have a wagyu brisket that looked very tempting. I'm sure they would order one for you. I'd call anyway, because, well living in Olathe, they're practically in Iowa.

Maybe, but there's none of that silly 65 mph speed limit stuff. I'll be sure to call before I go. Thanks!

Frog

• 2 weeks later...
I'm looking for sausage making supplies such as curing salt and hog casings. I'd prefer to give my business to a local place rather than order online. Anyone know of a place?

Not sure about the curing salt but I've gotten hog casings from Bychelmeyer's.

That's the thing about opposum inerds, they's just as tasty the next day.