• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Sourcing in Kansas City...

I did a little lunchtime cheese shopping today and found out from the folks at the Wild Oats (119th) cheese counter that they may start ordering from Cowgirl Creamery within the month. I didn't think to ask if that meant they'd only be ordering actual CC cheeses like Mt. Tam and Red Hawk (or if they'd get everything that is available on their site), but I thought it was cool news regardless.

I've also been wondering where to find fresh burrata and managed to find some at Dean and Deluca. Usually D&D is the worst kind of lunchtime rush nightmare, but the cheese counter serves as the eye of the storm...at least today. So between Wild Oats and D&D I managed to score a nice little stash of Saint Andre, Humboldt Fog and a Spanish cheese called "Queso Valdeon" that was way, way too ugly to pass up.

I'm finding that eating such small meals post-surgery means I have to get the most "bang for the buck" flavor-wise, and what protein source is as diverse and flavorful in small amounts (and lends itself to the meticulous foodie nature) as cheese? With that in mind, one question.....can anyone name a good source for cheese NORTH of the river? I'm not out south nearly as often these days, so Better Cheddar on the Plaza is as close as it gets from my house.

Jerry

Kansas City, Mo.

Unsaved Loved Ones

My eG Food Blog- 2011

I'm looking for sausage making supplies such as curing salt and hog casings. I'd prefer to give my business to a local place rather than order online. Anyone know of a place?

Not sure about the curing salt but I've gotten hog casings from Bychelmeyer's.

Bychelmeyer has curing salt too, but you have to ask for it. They like to make sure you know what you're doing with it since it can be harmful in the wrong concentration. Good luck with the sausage!

"As far as cuisine is concerned one must read everything, see everything, hear everything, try everything, observe everything, in order to retain, in the end, just a little bit!"

F. Point

I'm looking for sausage making supplies such as curing salt and hog casings. I'd prefer to give my business to a local place rather than order online. Anyone know of a place?

Not sure about the curing salt but I've gotten hog casings from Bychelmeyer's.

Bychelmeyer has curing salt too, but you have to ask for it. They like to make sure you know what you're doing with it since it can be harmful in the wrong concentration. Good luck with the sausage!

justhoward, you mean "pink salts?" Anywhere else in KC that sells it?

“Watermelon - it’s a good fruit. You eat, you drink, you wash your face.”

Italian tenor Enrico Caruso (1873-1921)

ulteriorepicure.com

My flickr account

ulteriorepicure@gmail.com

"As far as cuisine is concerned one must read everything, see everything, hear everything, try everything, observe everything, in order to retain, in the end, just a little bit!"

F. Point

“Nobody can be so amusingly arrogant as a young man who has just discovered an old idea and thinks it is his own." - Sydney J. Harris

Yes. Aka "curing salt", "pink salt" and "TCM" (tinted curing mix). It's something like 94% salt (sodium chloride) and 6% nitrite. They add the pink color to make it easy to distinguish from other cures and thus safer to keep around. There are also other curing mixes that are pink salt plus nitrates but they are more dangerous and harder to come by - used in commercial sausage making for hard cured sausage for example.

For regular pink salt, Bychelmeyer is the only place I've found it here, but it seems like Mcgonigles would have it too???

F. Point

Howard: Fantastic, thanks for the tip.

Dude, Colby/Howard, you all need to learn to use the

on this system! :raz:

ulteriorepicure.com

My flickr account

ue, dude. You need to stop playing eG english police and just put up with us being imperfect.

It is good to be a BBQ Judge.  And now it is even gooder to be a Steak Cookoff Association Judge.  Life just got even better.  Woo Hoo!!!

Yes. Aka "curing salt", "pink salt" and "TCM" (tinted curing mix). It's something like 94% salt (sodium chloride) and 6% nitrite. They add the pink color to make it easy to distinguish from other cures and thus safer to keep around. There are also other curing mixes that are pink salt plus nitrates but they are more dangerous and harder to come by - used in commercial sausage making for hard cured sausage for example.

For regular pink salt, Bychelmeyer is the only place I've found it here, but it seems like Mcgonigles would have it too???

What's the name brand on that salt Howard? Is it packaged or bulk?

Naw, It makes us look like real chefs :laugh: The reason I ask is we have Sel Rose and I have enough for probably another year and then I need to find more. It's the curing salt in the Torchone and I don't want to use another brand if it changes the out come.

“Nobody can be so amusingly arrogant as a young man who has just discovered an old idea and thinks it is his own." - Sydney J. Harris

I've also been wondering where to find fresh burrata and managed to find some at Dean and Deluca. 

Jake often has fresh burrata at Bella Napoli but call first to avoid disappointment. He's in Rome now, IIRC, so definitely call ahead - don't know who does the ordering in his absence.

And as for the rest of you bickering about quotes and such, behave! Can't I take a couple of weeks off without returning to this? You're as bad as my cats, honestly. :angry::wink:

Howard, sounds like you got some help and are back among the living. Glad to have you on board. Since everyone and their dog will be flocking to Smithville I'll be making the local rounds and hop see you all soon. :cool:

Judy Jones aka "moosnsqrl"

Sharing food with another human being is an intimate act that should not be indulged in lightly.

M.F.K. Fisher

Naw, It makes us look like real chefs :laugh: The reason I ask is we have Sel Rose and I have enough for probably another year and then I need to find more. It's the curing salt in the Torchone and I don't want to use another brand if it changes the out come.

There's no "e" on the end of torchon!!!! :cool:

You know I'm just joking (actually, I'm not - there really is no "e" on the end of torchon)... and joiei - you know I love all of you, and all of your misspelled ways. :wink:

ulteriorepicure.com

My flickr account

There's no "e" on the end of torchon!!!! :cool:

You know I'm just joking (actually, I'm not - there really is no "e" on the end of torchon)... and joiei - you know I love all of you, and all of your misspelled ways. :wink:

Dam!!! Man I'm a bad at english :raz:

Dam!!! Man I'm a bad at english  :raz:

You mean, "Damn! Man I'm bad at French?" :laugh:

Okay, I'll stop now.

Me too, I get blamed for everything already by the two maids, no need for moosnsqrl to break out her secret stash of whips and chains to make us behave.

It is good to be a BBQ Judge.  And now it is even gooder to be a Steak Cookoff Association Judge.  Life just got even better.  Woo Hoo!!!

can anyone name a good source for cheese NORTH of the river?  I'm not out south nearly as often these days, so Better Cheddar on the Plaza is as close as it gets from my house.

Not north of the river, but Cellar Rat in the Crossroads is at least a little closer. Or the wine shop in River Market...I think they've got some good cheese there too.

can anyone name a good source for cheese NORTH of the river?  I'm not out south nearly as often these days, so Better Cheddar on the Plaza is as close as it gets from my house.

Not north of the river, but Cellar Rat in the Crossroads is at least a little closer. Or the wine shop in River Market...I think they've got some good cheese there too.

IMO, Cellar Rat's cheeses are slightly over-priced.

Actually, the Hen House on 64th Street has an acceptable selection - although good luck on getting any informed service there about the cheeses.

The Northland deserves a good cheese outlet (among other things). :hmmm:

ulteriorepicure.com

My flickr account

Good to know, I've never really looked at the prices there.

I find good cheese to be extremely expensive here, generally...in fact, that was a definite factor in arguing to my wife that cost of living in Chicago was cheaper.

Needless to say, I lost that argument.

Actually, the Hen House on 64th Street has an acceptable selection - although good luck on getting any informed service there about the cheeses.

The Northland deserves a good cheese outlet (among other things). :hmmm:

Thanks, I'll be sure to stop by HH over the weekend and check it out.

I did stop by Whole Foods on 91st and Metcalf on my way home the other night. Their selection definitely knocked Wild Oats off my list of places to stock up in the future. They have a pretty broad selection AND they have plenty of "flashcards" attached to many of them for dummies like me.

Maybe we can talk the folks up at Paradise Meats into expanding their operations with a cheese counter.......one stop shopping!

Jerry

Kansas City, Mo.

Unsaved Loved Ones

My eG Food Blog- 2011

• 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...
ISO pomegranate molasses.  Al Habashi?  I can't imagine any of my local markets will have them.

Al Habashi does indeed, as does Jerusalem Bakery on Westport Road at Roanoke.

I actually found some at an Indian market somewhere between 103rd and 105th and Metcalf. The lady at the check-out looked at me skeptically when I presented her with the molasses. She asked me what I was doing with it. When I said I was using it in stewing chicken, she seemed to approve and let me buy it. :laugh:

Okay - so new question: where the heck can I find matcha (powdered green tea)? Dean & Deluca doesn't have it!

ulteriorepicure.com

My flickr account

ISO pomegranate molasses.  Al Habashi?  I can't imagine any of my local markets will have them.

Al Habashi does indeed, as does Jerusalem Bakery on Westport Road at Roanoke.

I actually found some at an Indian market somewhere between 103rd and 105th and Metcalf. The lady at the check-out looked at me skeptically when I presented her with the molasses. She asked me what I was doing with it. When I said I was using it in stewing chicken, she seemed to approve and let me buy it. :laugh:

Okay - so new question: where the heck can I find matcha (powdered green tea)? Dean & Deluca doesn't have it!

Right around the shopping center from Indian Emporium. I've purchased matcha powder at The Oriental Supermarket, on the 103 street side just east of Marty. They have expanded into the old Irv's Kosher Market spot and have a wonderful selection of teas and other asian beverages.

Just a note for anyone planning on doing a cassoulet over the second part of the holidays- Whole Foods elected not to stock the D'artignan duck fat this year, but McGongigle's has it and lowered their prices $2 from last year, so they're no longer holy moley expensive.

What do you mean I shouldn't feed the baby sushi?