• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Foie Gras Entier/Whole Foie Gras

offcentre

Yeah, low internal temps don't bother me, especially when I'm just cooking for myself and family.

As for that sous vide/fry recipe that sounds really interesting but 60C for foie sous vide seems way warm to me. I've done foie at that temp, waiting for the internal temp to stabilize at 60C and found it way runny. I guess the freezing nullifies that; I don't know. I don't have my baths with me here so sous vide is out for today.

Does anyone have a rough time I should using to roast my foie torchon? Again, low temps don't bother me, but I want to minimize melt out while at least warming the center. I can't decide if I should do 250F for a longer time or 400F for a shorter time. Which will be less prone to melt out and disaster?

Yeah, low internal temps don't bother me, especially when I'm just cooking for myself and family.

As for that sous vide/fry recipe that sounds really interesting but 60C for foie sous vide seems way warm to me.  I've done foie at that temp, waiting for the internal temp to stabilize at 60C and found it way runny.  I guess the freezing nullifies that; I don't know.  I don't have my baths with me here so sous vide is out for today.

Does anyone have a rough time I should using to roast my foie torchon?  Again, low temps don't bother me, but I want to minimize melt out while at least warming the center.  I can't decide if I should do 250F for a longer time or 400F for a shorter time.  Which will be less prone to melt out and disaster?

60C is what Roca suggests for SV liver. As I've said, I haven't personally tried it (yet), so I can't really comment on texture.

As for roasting, TK suggests sauteing for 4 minutes, then oven for another 4-5 minutes at 475C.

Edited by Silly Disciple (log)

We''ve opened Pazzta 920, a fresh pasta stall in the Boqueria Market. follow the thread here.

My blog, the Adventures of A Silly Disciple.

Indeed it's 475F and not C. I'm quoting from the FL book, but I think it's common for some cooks to have different methods from what they publish in books. If you want I can scan the recipe and send it to you via email.

We''ve opened Pazzta 920, a fresh pasta stall in the Boqueria Market. follow the thread here.

My blog, the Adventures of A Silly Disciple.

I know this is probably a little late, but what I proposed is what IVE done in TK's kitchen. Thats how I was taught and thats what Ive done. Granted, the book says roasting at high temperatures, but keep in mind the book was written for the HOME COOK in mind. Im sure the home cook would not want to baste the every 10 minutes. We do many things differently in the kitchen than whats said in the book. The end result was great and Ive repeated it many times. But, trial and error is as good a teacher as anything else. Speaking from experience. lol

-Chef Johnny

Edited by ChefJohnny (log)

John Maher
Executive Chef/Owner
The Rogue Gentlemen

Richmond, VA

The end result is a foie that's rather mangled and now resting in the shape of a torchon rather than a whole liver

Bryan, for some reason people seem to think deveining is critical to whole roasted foie preparations.........It isnt, its a torchon/terrine requirement.

Breaking it up into anything other than the two lobe seperation and removing the attached main veins ruins the liver.

You absolutely just want to buy a great grade A foie gras.

I have typically found the PALMEX and Sonoma types to be more evenly shaped, vein free and suited to whole foie preparation.

I know. I've done it half a dozen times or so. The question is how do you remold it in a way that when faced with high heat - direct or unbound in poaching - it won't begin to fall apart along the seems of where you broke it up.

Answer above.

This method comes from a Spanish chef's kitchen, but I won't say which since I haven't been able to confirm it yet.

Similar to Aduriz's method at Mugaritz and sometimes he finishes it on a charcoal grill behind the restaurant.

But, trial and error is as good a teacher as anything else. Speaking from experience. lol

-Chef Johnny

LOL, indeed. The results were nearly laughable but still tasty. Pretty much everything that people said could have gone wrong, did. By taking it apart as I did, I do think I damaged it too much structurally. As a poached torchon, it was fine, but maybe it was the intense heat of the oven that kind of made it fall apart, despite the fact tha I rolled it pretty tight. I also took it out of the oven too early so the doneness wasn't quite even. Think liquid foie outside and still cold inside.

Again, I was using grade A and the shape was nice and even, but having not worked with truly top notch foie I can't compare how vein-y this was.

I ended up serving the foie on crackers with some sour cherry relish (that was really good).

Let's just say this whole experience was a learning process. Until I can figure out what I'm doing and afford really great foie, I'll stick to poaching and searing slices. For now I've got some leftovers that will make a tasty breakfast.

Was this a project for Thanksgiving? If so, this is too late for now, but the best thing to poach foie gras in is.........duck or goose fat. Check out Paula Wolfert's Cooking of Southwest France for the recipe. Awesome. Just remember to keep the temperature nice and low or it WILL all melt away!

kit

"I'm bringing pastry back"

Weebl

But, trial and error is as good a teacher as anything else. Speaking from experience. lol

-Chef Johnny

LOL, indeed. The results were nearly laughable but still tasty. Pretty much everything that people said could have gone wrong, did. By taking it apart as I did, I do think I damaged it too much structurally. As a poached torchon, it was fine, but maybe it was the intense heat of the oven that kind of made it fall apart, despite the fact tha I rolled it pretty tight. I also took it out of the oven too early so the doneness wasn't quite even. Think liquid foie outside and still cold inside.

Again, I was using grade A and the shape was nice and even, but having not worked with truly top notch foie I can't compare how vein-y this was.

I ended up serving the foie on crackers with some sour cherry relish (that was really good).

Let's just say this whole experience was a learning process. Until I can figure out what I'm doing and afford really great foie, I'll stick to poaching and searing slices. For now I've got some leftovers that will make a tasty breakfast.

That a boy! Its good to see people going into the unknown with a running pace. Like I said, trial and error is great if you know how to use it. Keep up the good work, Bryan.

-Chef Johnny

John Maher
Executive Chef/Owner
The Rogue Gentlemen

Richmond, VA