• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Communal Dining

Tepee

I read this post with great interest and thought a thread should be started (a site search didn't come up with any) on communal dining; I wasn't aware of the concept of bread-sharing.

As a chinese Malaysian, meals have almost always been communal and sometimes the preparation too (especially during festivities). For instance, serving a large whole fish communally makes sense...you will always find someone with a penchant for a different part, for example, some may prefer the meaty body, whereas others may like the smooth cheek or suck at the gelatinous and bony fins. The eye balls are for you, Pan. :biggrin: Having a few dishes placed in the center as an accompaniment to rice, means you can choose a different dish with every mouthful...makes for an interesting meal. Less clutter at the table too. And, also no need for interim visits to the kitchen for different courses since all the dishes are usually placed at the onset of the meal. Having a serving implement for each dish would banish any hygiene issue.

Please post your thoughts.

TPcal!

Food Pix (plus others)

Please take pictures of all the food you get to try (and if you can, the food at the next tables)............................Dejah

I prefer to order this way at restaurants as well. More variety for everyone. The task of forming consensus is a lot more difficult though, especially when dining with poor college students and picky eaters. Most of my foodie friends prefer communal ordering.

In Thailand we also eat communally. Everything is placed at the same time in the middle of the table with serving spoons. Everyone has thier own plate of rice and takes one bite-sized portion from the communal plates at a time. That was one of things I found hardest to get used to when I moved away from my family and now live in Iowa. :sad:

I've never actually thought about this, since it has always been like this at home--I'm Singaporean Chinese.

But getting to try more dishes is always good.

OTOH, most hawker foods aren't communal, right Tepee? I'm already drooling over what I'll get to feast on tomorrow--I'm travelling to Penang.

May

Totally More-ish: The New and Improved Foodblog

Greeks eating at the taverna level are all over this. Everyone gets an empty plate and then the dishes start piling out of the kitchen. I've never eaten Asian food in Asia, but compared to what I've eaten here, the Greeks often send out a larger number of smaller plates -- one-serving size -- as opposed to fewer, larger dishes in a lot of Chinese restaurants here in the U.S.

Whatever kind of restaurant I'm in, I enjoy it. And, of course, we often eat like this at home, especially when having guests. I think the passing, sharing and running commentary ("try this" "ewww, you eat eyeballs?") have the same effect on conversation and ambience as a good cocktail.

I'm on the pavement

Thinking about the government.

OTOH, most hawker foods aren't communal, right Tepee? I'm already drooling over what I'll get to feast on tomorrow--I'm travelling to Penang.

LOL, if you've seen this thread, you'll see that hawker food can also be communal when you go in a group :raz: . So, make sure you don't go solo in Penang.

TPcal!

Food Pix (plus others)

Please take pictures of all the food you get to try (and if you can, the food at the next tables)............................Dejah

LOL, if you've seen this thread, you'll see that hawker food can also be communal when you go in a group :raz: . So, make sure you don't go solo in Penang.

:laugh: Yup, you're right. And no, I don't go solo. The whole family's going, plus I've got family there--was born in KL, actually, where mom's side has a coffeeshop in Bangsar.

May

Totally More-ish: The New and Improved Foodblog