• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Colored cocoa butters retail in NYC?

WhiteTruffleGirl

I'm behind the eight ball trying to get ready for Christmas and need to make a ton of molded chocolates. I need to get a some colored cocoa butters and don't want to have to pay expidited shipping charges for Chef Rubber to send them FedEx. Is there anyplace in NYC where I can just go and buy them? I know Chef Rubber doesn't sell retail anywhere, but does PCB or anyone else?

In a pinch you can use liquid candy color. Chefmaster candy color has lecithin. This can be purchased at NY Cake & B............ or mail order from Albert Uster

Edited by bripastryguy (log)

"Chocolate has no calories....

Chocolate is food for the soul, The soul has no weight, therefore no calories" so said a customer, a lovely southern woman, after consuming chocolate indulgence

SWEET KARMA DESSERTS

www.sweetkarmadesserts.com

550 East Meadow Ave. East meadow, NY 11554

516-794-4478

Brian Fishman

Do not go to Pfeil & Holing! I love them, their service is great, website is great, prices are fine....except when you go to the facility you will wait FOREVER. Just order from them online or call and order.

"Chocolate has no calories....

Chocolate is food for the soul, The soul has no weight, therefore no calories" so said a customer, a lovely southern woman, after consuming chocolate indulgence

SWEET KARMA DESSERTS

www.sweetkarmadesserts.com

550 East Meadow Ave. East meadow, NY 11554

516-794-4478

Brian Fishman

Thanks for the suggestions. I decided to stock up on a bunch of stuff from Chef Rubber which made the $23 (gulp) two-day shipping charge somewhat more palatable. I'm just more familiar with the end result using air brushed cocoa butters, so didn't want to switch horses mid stream as they say. Thanks again for the suggestions. But I do have another question...see my new thread.

• 2 weeks later...

I just made my first batch of molded chocolates a couple days ago and I'm hooked. I have read Trishad's great demo thread on colored molding and I'm interested in giving it a try. However when I went to look at ordering some I found too many choices!

Chef Rubber offers four collections (Artisan, Jewel, Perl, and Decor) with dozens of colors and Pastry Chef offers the PCB set of eight colors.

What is the difference between these sets? Is one better for molded chocolate than another? I don't plan on air brushing anytime soon if that makes a difference.

On the same note, does anyone have advice about which luster dusts are best?

David,

Part of the difference between the various Chef Rubber lines is the amount of luster in the colors. For example, the Jewel line has a lot of iridescence in it. The Decor colors are flat. The Pearl collection also has a lot of iridescence, but I can't really tell you the difference between it and the Jewel...perhaps someone else could comment on that.

As for luster dusts, I have only used gold with my chocolates so others may have better advice for you.