• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

A no-drippings sauce/gravy for roast pork

Timmaay

Well, it's rare that I'll roast pork but I did today and now want a tasty sauce or gravy to go with it. It was roasted with copious amounts of garlic and rosemary. What would be your suggestions? A basic light brown gravy? BTW, I only have chicken and beef stock handy.

Thanks

Well, it's rare that I'll roast pork but I did today and now want a tasty sauce or gravy to go with it.  It was roasted with copious amounts of garlic and rosemary.  What would be your suggestions?  A basic light brown gravy?  BTW, I only have chicken and beef stock handy.

Thanks

Good question. Anyone have any ideas? Anyone? Hmmm?

My Photography: Bob Worthington Photography

My music: Coronado Big Band

Well, the rosemary is throwing me, I dont like rosemary...but what I really like with pork roast is an apple cider vinager and apple cider reduction. Get it real syrupy so it is sweet and tart at the same time.

tracey

The great thing about barbeque is that when you get hungry 3 hours later....you can lick your fingers

Maxine

Avoid cutting yourself while slicing vegetables by getting someone else to hold them while you chop away.

"It is the government's fault, they've eaten everything."

My Webpage

garden state motorcyle association

Welcome to eGullet, Timmaay!

This may be too late for your query, but if I were confronted with a pork roast with no usable drippings for gravy making, I too would be tempted to take the sauce/gravy in a whole different direction. Some of my favorite flavors to match with a pork roast are mustard and horseradish. Like perhaps a very thick mustard vinaigrette ... or a horseradish aioli ... or something like that.

(My other favorite flavors to match with pork roast are Asian -- soy/ginger/five-spice/etc. -- but that wouldn't really go with the garlic and rosemary you've already got happening.)

Apple sauce? Possibly with ginger or cinnamon

I've been having great fun playing around with verjus reductions. Possibly not the thing for pork but it's worth a try.

Fry some bacon up until crisp, whisk in some flour then add some milk to make a milk gravy, add some mushrooms/onions.

PS: I am a guy.

This is where pork stock comes in really handy, but chicken stock will work too. Make a roux, medium dark.

Add a little white wine, and you can add the drippings of rosemary and garlic and strain out later. Finish it with some white wine reduction or a concentrated cube of stock.

Marlene

Practice. Do it over. Get it right.

Mostly, I want people to be as happy eating my food as I am cooking it.

I would recommend a fig sauce. We made one from a Giada De Laurentiis recipe in her Everyday Italian goodbook and it was very good (if I recall correctly, there was rosemary in that recipe as well). Uses dried figs, so seasonality shouldn't be a problem.

"If the divine creator has taken pains to give us delicious and exquisite things to eat, the least we can do is prepare them well and serve them with ceremony."

~ Fernand Point

saute shallots in roasting pan, deglaze with white wine/vermouth, throw some herbs in, peeled and sliced apples, reduce until almost dry, add cream, strain.

Or try a maple syrup red wine vinegar gastrique..... deglaze with vinegar (watch the fumes!!!), add a few tablespoons good maple syrup to taste, cream/milk to sauce consistency.... thicken with corn starch slurry if desired.

Red wine/port with dried figs would also work.

Thanks everyone for your ideas. I tried the apple cider vinegar and apple cider reduction and it was pretty good. Since I had left-overs I decided to sacrifice some slices and fry them up in a pan, threw in some shallots, mushrooms and a little rosemary to get a nice fond going then deglazed with white wine, reduced, added cream, butter and viola!!! instant pork flavored sauce. I will try a few of these the next time as they definitely look good. Thanks again.

Edited by Timmaay (log)