• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Need some recomendations

mikep

Wife and I are throwing a christmas party/Hopkins-Taylor dinner at our home and she has asked me to come up with the wines.Any recomendations would be greatly appreciated.

1st-Cheese Tray,Stuffed mushrooms,sausage balls(spicy)

2nd-Gnocchi w Oxtail Ragu

3rd-Veal Marsala,Shrimp Scampi,Crown Roast of Pork

desserts-usual christmas sludge brought by guests.

Again thanks to all in advance

Ps Dont want to break the bank as it is a party for 12 and we still have 2 more christmas parties to host

Mike

I have been recommending this wine a lot here and elsewhere.

"Basa"

A white from Spain.

My wife and I have been drinking this regularly for a couple of years now and are not tired of it.

It is inexpensive--goes for eight to ten dollars a bottle here in NYC.

Great as an aperitif and goes well with food.

You also might want to consider a good Prosecco--these sparklers are inexpensive--again eight to twelve bucks and are refreshing and also go well with light food.

For reds--I like the Ravenswood vintner's selections.

a bit more expensive are some really good Rioja's from the 2001 vintage:

Muga Riserva (twenty to twenty five) and Remeluri.

My "two cent" contribution:

1st - Pink bubbles. I recently had a bottle of Louis Bouillot "Perle d'Aurore" Cremant de Bourgogne Brut Rose that would go well with what you have here. And it's only about $10.

2nd - Aromatic red. A Barbera should go well.

3rd - A prayer. Marsala dishes and shrimp are tough wine foods. But I'd go with something from Tuscany or Umbria, like a Chianti Classico or Sagrantino di Montefalco.

Dessert - Moscato d'Asti. It's light, fruity, a bit sweet, and low alcohol.

We cannot employ the mind to advantage when we are filled with excessive food and drink - Cicero

2nd - Aromatic red.  A Barbera should go well.

Michele Chiarlo makes a wonderful one in the $12 range.

aka Michael

Chi mangia bene, vive bene!

"...And bring us the finest food you've got, stuffed with the second finest."

"Excellent, sir. Lobster stuffed with tacos."