• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Mushrooming white sandwich bread

Anna N

Since the demise of my bread machine I have been making bread quite successfully using the K/A. However, I have just made a loaf of white sandwich bread and while the bread itself is quite good, the loaf shape is less than ideal as the top "mushroomed". I make at least two multi-grain loaves each week and don't have this problem. Any ideas? Too much gluten development? Wrong oven temp? The recipe is "American Sandwich Bread" from Cook's Illustrated. Thanks for any tips you might have.

Anna Nielsen aka "Anna N"

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

Our 2012 (Kerry Beal and me) Blog

My 2004 eG Blog

Is the texture even and its just outgrowing the tin, or is ther a hole under the crust?

If its outgrowing the tin, then use a bigger tin, or smaller dough weight.

A slightly stiffer dough (less water) may help as well, and stop it drooping over the sides.

Multigrain will rise much less than white bread.

Is the texture even and its just outgrowing the tin, or is ther a hole under the crust?

If its outgrowing the tin, then use a bigger tin, or smaller dough weight.

A slightly stiffer dough (less water) may help as well, and stop it drooping over the sides.

Multigrain will rise much less than white bread.

No hole under the crust. Does not seem to be pan size as I am using the one recommended (9x5). The texture is remarkably even. So it sounds like I need to make the dough somewhat stiffer. Thanks, Jack.

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

My 2004 eG Blog

Since the demise of my bread machine I have been making bread quite successfully using the K/A.  However, I have just made a loaf of white sandwich bread and while the bread itself is quite good, the loaf shape is less than ideal as the top "mushroomed".  I make at least two multi-grain loaves each week and don't have this problem.  Any ideas?  Too much gluten development?  Wrong oven temp?  The recipe is "American Sandwich Bread" from Cook's Illustrated.  Thanks for any tips you might have.

Anna, In my experience, this is caused by underproofing and/or a dry dough surface when it is baked. I do not have the problem with whole grain breads either.

Woods

What are you doing with the bread?  Have you considered using a Pullman pan?

Don't have a Pullman pan and when I tried a pain de mie using a baking sheet and some weight - well - the pan fell off and nearly caused a heart attack! All I want is just ordinary sandwich bread so I don't have to buy the stuff from the supermarket that never, never, never goes stale! :biggrin: I really am not looking for anything fancy but some sandwiches just work on WHITE bread for us!

Before I posted my question I thought that perhaps a small reduction in the amount of yeast might help and so I made another loaf using 1/4 tsp less yeast and the shape was much better and the crumb was still pretty fine and even. I will try to add a photo to this reply in a few minutes.

Not perfect, but much better. I thought that the dough for this experiment was stiff enough and any reduction in the liquid might be detrimental.

Edited to add photo but I guess ImageGullet is still acting up!

Edited by Anna N (log)

My 2004 eG Blog

Jackal10,

I've had a similar problem and you mentioned a hole under the crust -- that was the problem I had.

Do you have an idea as to what causes that? I don't get it all the time and I think I'm over-proofing on those times that it happens, but I'm not sure. :blink:

Cheryl, The Sweet Side