• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Wish - West Orange

jb_973

• 3 weeks later...

Yesterday was Mother's Day Lunch at "Wish", for my wife and daughter, my brother & sister-in-law and their daughter, and me. And Brett Winter's family. And nobody else. It was very odd, but very nice.

Fully expecting the place to be jumping on one of the busiest days on any eatery's yearly calendar (despite the fact that it hasn't even officially opened yet!), I made our reservations (for 6 at 2:30) two weeks ago through Open Table, and felt happy not to be shut out.

When we arrived, though, the little private lot in front was empty. Huh? Well, we entered, and found just one group of about eighteen diners around a table in the rear of the dining room. They were happily celebrating, and represented four generations of what turned out to be Chef Brett Winters' own family.

There were no other tables filled. We were led to our own table by Chef winter, who had perhaps been waiting for us. I asked him if we'd be intruding on what looked like a private party. He just shrugged and said, "This is who's here. Enjoy your meal!"

There were only three wait staff working, but between Brett's family table and ours, they were kept busy. I won't belabor the menu choices we made or how lovely the meals and service were, or how nice it was to be able to carry on quiet conversations amongst ourselves. Let me just say that we all enjoyed ourselves immensely, and became acquainted with a lovely bunch of fellow diners.

I have no idea whether yesterday's nearly empty "Wish" was just a lunchtime fluke (Brett's no longer serving a different lunchtime menu, BTW), or whether it's indicative of surprisingly weak local support for a great little bistro that deserves better, or just a slow day in an otherwise bustling eatery, or what...

I'll just say this. Try "Wish" soon.

We had dinner here on Friday night and really enjoyed ourselves. My entree was a mahimahi special that was delicious.

I was surprised that the restaurant was relatively empty. I hope business picks up for them very soon as I think this is an asset to our town.

My wife and I recently celebrated her birthday at Wish. For us, the restaurant has the absolute benefit of being a BYOB, and within walking distance of our home.

It was our first visit, and we had nothing but compliments for the service and food. My favorite part of the meal was the Mushroom Risotto - awesome flavor. My wife had the Rock Shrimp appetizer (very generously sized), and the NY Strip Steak, perfectly cooked medium rare. I had the Ribs for my entree (and yes, the sauce does stick to the ribs, in a good way :)

Keep up the good work guys - I agree with the comments of coughy - Wish deserves some good business, and it is great to have a place like this in West Orange.

Edited by jb_973 (log)

• 3 weeks later...

Pleasant dinner at Wish last night.

Dee had the mesclun salad with strawberries, vinaigrette, nuts, etc. I had the vegetable napoleon, which was good but the very spicy sauce muted the more subtle tastes of the vegetables. Well prepared, attractively plated mains (six riblet rack of lamb and a roasted sea bass). $110 with tip.

The place was empty. There were three tables occupied at 745 pm, one was clearing out. About 830, a couple arrived and ordered a burger and a plate of clams. By 915, when we left, just one table remained. I understand weekends are difficult, but our server said the weekday evenings are sometimes pretty dead.

There's a $23.95 price fixe during the week, looked like a good deal, although we ordered off the a la carte side

Apparently it's easier still to dictate the conversation and in effect, kill the conversation.

rancho gordo

ditto on the last comments. we like wish, but its largely unoccupied during the week. giotto, a couple of miles away, a little cheaper and Italian, was packed on a monday. i wonder if the owners can even figure out why. try wish if you like 'new american . '

• 5 weeks later...
  • 4 months later...
Wish is closed.

Closed for good? I know that they'd been struggling.

I went on a Monday recently and saw that they were closed. I thought perhaps they'd chosen to close on Mondays due to a lack of business, but I didn't realize they'd closed all together.

Blessed are those who engage in lively conversation with the helplessly mute, for they shall be called, "Dentists." (anonymous)

Life is too short for bad Caesar Salad. (Me)

Why would you poison yourself by eating a non-organic apple? (HL)

That stinks. We went quite a few times and we enjoyed the food , the staff and the owners. They received a good review in the NYTimes. We were in the picture in the article.

How come restaurants succeed in Montclair, but not West Orange and Livingston? Population density? Propensity to eat out?