• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Cinnamon Varieties: Cassia, Ceylon, and Others

butter

3 hours ago, nochefschoice said:

I think it's mad though to call one cinnamon the true cinnamon, and call the other "not true" cinnamon

Why mad? It is simple truth. What is sold as cinnamon in much of the world is not cinnamon, a specific species. Therefore 'not true'.

They are different species; taste diffferent; smell different; have different monetary value.

Edited by liuzhou (log)

...your dancing child with his Chinese suit.

"No amount of evidence will ever persuade an idiot"
Mark Twain

The Kitchen Scale Manifesto

On 10/11/2024 at 11:55 PM, liuzhou said:

Why Mexico has such a large appetite for cinnamon, I don't know. But it certainly seems they want the real thing.

When it is used, in Mexican cuisine the flavor is pretty bold and upfront. It would taste very wrong with a different cinnamon!

2 hours ago, AAQuesada said:

When it is used, in Mexican cuisine the flavor is pretty bold and upfront. It would taste very wrong with a different cinnamon!

Yes I get that. The question for me is why is cinnamon so popular.

I happily admit I know very little about Mexican cuisine. How is all that cinnamon used?

...your dancing child with his Chinese suit.

"No amount of evidence will ever persuade an idiot"
Mark Twain

The Kitchen Scale Manifesto

10 hours ago, liuzhou said:

I happily admit I know very little about Mexican cuisine. How is all that cinnamon used?

I tried to link to an episode of the PBS show Pati's Mexican Table because she did a whole episode on cinnamon in Mexican cooking, but it doesn't seem to be available anymore. Here's the link to the episode summary

Cinnamon is used in Mexico in various beverages (coffee!) and in sweet baking but also in more savory applications like meat rubs and moles (sauces). 

https://patijinich.com/cinnamon/

You can also find recipes using cinnamon with other well-known Mexican cooks such as Rick Bayless. Here are a couple of savory ones:

https://www.rickbayless.com/recipe/chile-marinated-pork-oaxacan-style/

https://www.rickbayless.com/recipe/oaxacan-black-mole/

Edited by FauxPas (log)
  • Thanks 1

10 hours ago, liuzhou said:

It's used in every facet of cooking from Chocolate drinks to sauces like mole (often in braised dishes), to sweets

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

15 hours ago, liuzhou said:

Yes I get that. The question for me is why is cinnamon so popular.

One web site states that "Mexico inherited this Ceylon cinnamon tradition from Spain" and that these cinnamon sticks are "imported almost exclusively from the island of Sri Lanka."

Cinnamon vogue - Mexican cinnamon sticks

I do know that the Latino markets that I frequent offer "canela," which is Ceylon cinnamon. Quite inexpensive, too.

• Like 1