• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

cake in center city west?

katbert

Is there anything comparable to More Than Just Ice Cream west of Broad Street? I kind of want a slab of cake, but can't think of anywhere to go find one other than MTJIC beyond Miel which isn't open very late anyway.

Also, I've been going to The Restaurant School's Pastry Shop lately: giant cream puffs for $1+tax and La Colombe coffee. Fabulous. They also had a sesame honey loaf the other day.

What about the Corner Bakeries?

Although I don't think of them as bakeries, do they have appropriate selections?

Yann is closed, Miel's on 17th would be at least good.

What about the bakery that popped up as part of the replacement for that Japanese/Korean restaurant on Walnut at 17th?

Petit 4 and Pink Rose would be the other suggestions (not recommendations, because the only thing I've had from Petit 4 was subpar wedding cake, and I've never been to Pink Rose)

but they're not in CC.

Herb aka "herbacidal"

Tom is not my friend.

What about the bakery that popped up as part of the replacement for that Japanese/Korean restaurant on Walnut at 17th?

That's Buttercup Bakery, there was a brief write-up in the Philly Weekly not long ago. Didn't say anything about quality or even availability of a nice slice of cake, but it's worth a shot... I haven't been in there.

And I haven't been here either, but this thread on Darling's Coffeehouse sounds moderately promising...

And KT, is the Restaurant School pasty shop in that building around 42nd and Walnut?

"Philadelphia’s premier soup dumpling blogger" - Foobooz

philadining.com

And KT, is the Restaurant School pasty shop in that building around 42nd and Walnut?

Yes, the Restaurant School is in the middle of the 4200 block of Walnut Street, and the Pastry Shop is just west of the main entrance. They have breads, little snacky pastries and full-sized cakes available that change on a daily basis. The execution varies over the semester (you can tell by the croissants how far into the semester it is, they get more uniform).

Thanks for the ideas, I remember Buttercup had little individual danish and pastries. There's also the coffeeshop on walnut past 23rd which has some fahncy chocolates, I'll have to look for the cake.

There's also Metropolitan Bakery on 19th and Manning, just south of Rittenhouse.

Oops, sorry. Not sit-down. :blush:

Karen C.

"Oh, suddenly life’s fun, suddenly there’s a reason to get up in the morning – it’s called bacon!" - Sookie St. James

Travelogue: Ten days in Tuscany