• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Hot Smaller Wineries in Napa & Surrounding Areas

SiseFromm

For the type of food you want, Cindy's is going to be a great choice. I'd also recommend Market and Cook in St. Helena, and Pilar in Napa. Redd was supposed to open this week in the Piatti space in Yountville, but I haven't heard if they did. They looked like they were a few weeks out when I went by about 10 days ago.

Edited by samgiovese (log)

"A census taker once tried to test me. I ate his liver with some fava beans and a nice chianti."

- Dr. Hannibal Lecter

Have you actually eaten at Cindy's yet? It seems very Suzanne Goin'ish to me, which is right up my alley. Piquillo Peppers stuffed with Braised Meats and Charred Tomato Sauce? Sounds perfect! Spanish and cool and casual and delicious.

R. Jason Coulston

jason@popcling.com

My wife & I have eaten there 4 times in the last 3 months. For some reason, although we've lived part-time in Yountville since 2003, we hadn't tried Cindy's until just recently. It's interesting you mention the Stuffed Piquillo Peppers...they are our FAVORITE. That, and the rabbit tostada!!!

Pretty much everything else on the menu is equally good. Hope you all enjoy it!

"A census taker once tried to test me. I ate his liver with some fava beans and a nice chianti."

- Dr. Hannibal Lecter

I'll second Martini House, one of my favorites.

those are all great choices, cant go wrong in wine country, if you get over to sonoma come and see us, we would love to cook and pour for you,

preston dishman

generals daughter

707-938-4004

Preston - I tried calling a bit ago but was unable to reach you. I will call again, or you can email directly at rjcoulston@comcast.net. I also made reservations for Martini House for Monday evening (12/05).

R. Jason Coulston

jason@popcling.com

Cyrus is neither simple nor casual. The food isn't bad but the space is more formal than the wine country norm. If you are heading over to the northern parts of Sonoma you should check out the farmhouse inn - they fit the simple and casual bill perfectly.

For all of my insistence on simple, casual dining for our wine trip in December, a friend recommended Cyrus in Healdsburg.  Has anybody been there?

If your staying in Yountville, Cyrus is at least 1.5-2 hours away on small 2 lane roads. Eat at Cyrus = Stay in Healdsburg.

Bruce Frigard

Quality control Taster, Château D'Eau Winery

"Free time is the engine of ingenuity, creativity and innovation"

111,111,111 x 111,111,111 = 12,345,678,987,654,321

Initially we were going to be staying in Healdsburg but decided it was a completely different trip than Yountville. We opted to go with the more familiar. I checked the map and it's a definite trek from where we're staying. I think I'm going to stick with the plan to relax and to choose casual eateries and tucked away wineries.

Edited by SiseFromm (log)

R. Jason Coulston

jason@popcling.com

Do try to reach Preston again as it's worth it.

Bruce Frigard

Quality control Taster, Château D'Eau Winery

"Free time is the engine of ingenuity, creativity and innovation"

111,111,111 x 111,111,111 = 12,345,678,987,654,321

I reached Preston and scheduled dinner for two at 8:00pm on Wednesday. I told him about my penchant for organ meats so hopefully hearts and sweetbreads will make an appearance on our menu. I can't wait! This is shaping up to be a great trip.

R. Jason Coulston

jason@popcling.com