• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Dining in Downtown Seattle

Appropos of little, since I'm not planning a trip to Seattle any time soon, but I remember being very disappointed a few years ago when we ran out of evenings before making it to Rover's.  So I expected to see it somewhere on this thread yet it is conspicuously absent.

Has it fallen from favor?  Gone downhill?  Never was good and I had bad intel before that trip (it was pre-eG for me)?  Just curious.  It's probably more French than John would want anyway, but I couldn't help wondering and I'm sure you locals will clue me in :wink:

It is very nice, too French for John, and too far from downtown for corinnesweeney (originator of thread).

Edited by tsquare (log)

Please tell us more about what you like to eat and how far you want to travel or what area you are staying...

I'm at the Hilton at night and at the Conv Center in daytime.

We like all food (except I can do French just fine in Paris so need other ideas), Forget the decor, nappery, etc., it's innovative, fun cooking we're looking for.

For instance I ate at a fusiony novel-spice Korean place in Toronto that was superb and inexpensive.

Because I'll be at meetings except for lunch and dinner, I'd prefer to be able to walk.

Thanks

John

John Talbott

blog John Talbott's Paris

If you want innovative, you may want to consider BOKA. It's brand new and I haven't been yet, but it sounds like some of the more creative food being offered in Seattle.

Most women don't seem to know how much flour to use so it gets so thick you have to chop it off the plate with a knife and it tastes like wallpaper paste....Just why cream sauce is bitched up so often is an all-time mytery to me, because it's so easy to make and can be used as the basis for such a variety of really delicious food.

- Victor Bergeron, Trader Vic's Book of Food & Drink, 1946

I haven't done much "finer" dining on my many visits to Seattle but on my first or second visit there I had a stellar dinner at Etta's. And I've been prompted by frineds to be sure I try lunch next time at Salumi - a small place owned by Mario Batali's father. They cure their own sausages etc. and are said to have terrific rustic Italian food.

I was disappointed by Saigon Cafe - the Viet place in the ID (International District) that I tried for dinnner. But many have advised me that Seattle has some excellent Vietnamese food.

And although I'm straying into beverages rather than food I'd be remiss if I failed to mention that a visit to either Victrola or Vivace for an espresso/machiatto is a must. ON any given day either of them can deliver an espresso drink fart betetr than any that Paris or London has to offer and rivaling what you'll find at the better places in Italy.

They're both up on Capital Hill but Vivace now has a luxe new "espresso palace" between downtown and Lake Union across from the REI flagship store.

Appropos of little, since I'm not planning a trip to Seattle any time soon, but I remember being very disappointed a few years ago when we ran out of evenings before making it to Rover's.  So I expected to see it somewhere on this thread yet it is conspicuously absent.

Has it fallen from favor?  Gone downhill?  Never was good and I had bad intel before that trip (it was pre-eG for me)?  Just curious.  It's probably more French than John would want anyway, but I couldn't help wondering and I'm sure you locals will clue me in :wink:

It is very nice, too French for John, and too far from downtown for corinnesweeney (originator of thread).

OK, I can go back to lamenting not having made it there. Thanks, I think.

Judy Jones aka "moosnsqrl"

Sharing food with another human being is an intimate act that should not be indulged in lightly.

M.F.K. Fisher

Check out my eGullet blog for a pretty thorough description of my favorite places:

eG foodblog

Some others I didn't get a chance to get to:

Union

Lark

Harvest Vine

Monsoon for dinner

Green Leaf

I will say that most places within walking distance of the Hilton are not worth walking to. BOKA is the new player in town, and I was underwelmed. The Purple Cafe looks like it has promise, I've yet to go. But if you want informed opinion, my must dine at places for visitors to Seattle are:

Mistral

Veil

Salumi

Monsoon

Paseo

Market Grill

Baguette Box

If you want to try some Seattle local norms I would throw in Tom Douglas' Palace Kitchen and also Lola, both right downtown.

Matts in the Market is a wonderful local/fresh tiny restaurant in the market. Brasa has fabulous med inspired food. The Brooklyn if you want to belly up to the bar and eat your weight in oysters.

Lark is my favorite, up on capital hill. and their new bar Licorous has really interesting bite and drink pairings. Union is always stellar and Salumi is a must for lunch!

Lola is a must.

Dahlia Lounge is the quintisential Seattle restaurant

Comfort food at Icon Grille

Asian at Dragonfish

I've written and re-written my reaction to these recommendations and you know, like my Mom always tried to tell me, if you can't say anything nice, don't say anything at all.....

Let's just leave it at that I would strongly encourage Union, Le Pichet, Matt's, Cafe Campagne, etc., etc. over the aforementioned....

Must agree (pass on Icon and Dragon in particular). I also recommend Restaurant Zoe, Flying Fish, Tango (though I haven't been in years - but thinking walking distance), Crow, Lark or Harvest Vine (short cab rides.)

Cafe Campagne is very comfortable - and cassoulet is probably on the menu by now (seasonal.) Campagne is doing some promotional stuff these days, like Sunday supper.

I'd like to revive this thread by asking about:

1. any updates

2. new places

3. ethnic places not previously covered (As you can deduce from my signature, I don't mean French).

4. interesting lunch places.

Thanks.

John