• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Stocking the Fridge

Carrot Top

There is a strange thing that happens in my house.

Every day I plan what to make for dinner. The food is there in the fridge, the time approaches and voila! Like magic something happens - something odd with the time.

All of a sudden it seems one child needs to go to the store to get poster board for a project that I'd never even heard of that is due *tomorrow*! The computer starts having strange glitches that are driving the other child trying to do her homework to distraction that require my sitting there stupidly trying to fix it for an hour till it magically fixes itself. The cat jumps in front of me making me throw my arm wide to knock over a vase that breaks all over the floor. Or my karate-loving son decides to swing his Japanese sword into the overhead lamp and my skateboard-loving daughter starts doing jumps on the board in her bedroom, trying to leave huge craters in the floor no doubt.

Time escapes me.

There is no way to gather it back.

So I've thought of a plan. No more weekday cooking. Stock the fridge on the weekends and nosh nosh nosh without the need to cook during the week.

I need your help in two ways:

First : What would you think the fridge should be stocked with? What would you have in your fridge to nosh on? "Meal"-like things you know - not just things like cheese and fruit and crudites et al that are there just because they are part of the refrigerator neighborhood.

Second: If you are religious, please pray that my weekends find a few free moments to cook! :sad::wink::rolleyes:

P.S. Not stuff for the freezer for I have a grudge against freezers. For no good reason. I just don't like them and they don't like me. Nothing ever tastes good to me from the freezer. Yes, I know I am difficult. :laugh:

Edited by Carrot Top (log)

Okay, so if I'm getting this we aren't talking about staples, sauces, produce, or other kinds of ingredients... the idea is that you want suggestions for "ready to eat" foods?

If you can confirm that it might be worth a minor topic title change, using that phrase.

Actually I think this has to include two subclassifications.

1.) complete meals

2.) cooked or prepared ingredients which can be quickly combined into a meal without any major cooking or prep time. This might include produce, but if it does it would probably have to be produce which doesn't require cooking or major chopping, cleaning, or extensive application of heat at the time of use. Meaning that such can be done beforehand en masse without easy spoilage, or that it's something easily prepared at the moment of serving.

Are my assumptions correct here? Also, you perhaps need to discuss if you have a vacuum sealer or not, or at the very least very good tupperware.

Jon Lurie, aka "jhlurie"

Mmm hmm. Do with my topic title what you will, Jon.

Your assumptions are correct.

And yes, I do have both good Tupperware and a vaccuum sealer which sits in the cupboard ignored by me among the other kitchen equipment that has sort of wandered to the "wrong side of the tracks" in my opinion. I open the cupboard door and they growl at me and I growl back.

I think the thing might be done without the vaccuum thingie if really good planning is done, with accurate knowledge of how long things will last without spoilage and with the idea that what I buy in the first place has to be rather bright and bushy-tailed.

I had thought to just have some general suggestions from people, and then I could put together the week's menus so that they would "work".

Probably things like shrimp/seafood to start the week, moving on to chicken etc. then forward to the beef or lamb or pork then on to pasta with sauces and maybe all-veggie meals or soup to finish. Braises are always good but one doesn't want to eat them every day unless one has no teeth. We are lucky, we have teeth here.

I'm off to go grocery shopping with this idea in mind and will post what happens a bit later. :smile:

It sounds like you want to be your own personal chef. You'll cook all your food for the week over one to two days and store it in containers for people to eat at will, correct?

I'd think Abra or some of the other personal chefs on eG might have some good suggestions for you.

I don't, though this system would work for me as well!

I'm eager to see the suggestions that are thrown out here.

Danielle Altshuler Wiley

a.k.a. Foodmomiac

I'd rather have some one else than myself be my own personal chef, but one uses what one has around, you know? :biggrin:

And yes, if you are willing to call my children "people". They certainly do "eat at will". And rather constantly it seems, too. :wink:

I like anyone who is named Mr. Wozencroft.

The children will be sent post-haste to you with the hopes that you will have some Dickensian form of British pick-pocketing to teach them.

In the meanwhile, here is the menu I came up with and shopped for:

Monday

Caesar Salad, Warmed Baguette, Caponata

Shrimp with Basil and Pernod

Orzo

Tuesday

Grilled Chicken, Spicy Yogurt Marinade

Coucous with Raisins and Pignoli

Sugar Snap Peas

Wednesday

Mexican Pot Roast

Succotash

Egg Noodles

Thursday

Escarole Soup

Pizza

Pears Poached in Port

Friday

Celeriac-Carrot Salad

Twice-Baked Potatoes with Bacon, Cheese, and Spinach

Lemon Sorbet with Blueberries

Will be back later to tell you how long it took to do advance prep. :wink:

The menu sounds great -- I'll look forward to hearing your report on the results. You might try scavenging recipe ideas from personal chef web sites. Also, a chicken roasted on Sunday afternoon to pick from during the week is a good thing.

~ Lori in PA

My blog: http://inmykitcheninmylife.blogspot.com/

My egullet blog: http://forums.egullet.org/index.php?showtopic=89647&hl=

"Cooking is not a chore, it is a joy."

- Julia Child

Okay the results are in. One and a half hours prep today. Including packing the stuff up and putting it away and loading the dishes in the dishwasher.

Granted, the floor is a disaster. :blink::biggrin:

Here's how the dance went:

Poached shrimp with savory ingredients and pernod.

Started chix stock.

Made caponata.

Pot roast ingredients browned and to oven.

Orzo cooked.

Chix marinade made, chix thrown in.

Succotash made.

Potatoes scrubbed, put into oven.

Pears put in oven to poach with port and spices.

Celeriac and carrots peeled, julienned, briefly blanched.

Bacon to oven to cook.

Cheese grated.

The chicken stock is cooling now, and the pot roast and the potatoes need to be taken out of the oven a bit later.

Now the only problem is I want to start noshing NOW. :unsure:

Will let you know how it works out during the week!

Sounded good, huh? Heh.

Reality check.

Okay. So why did I expect any thirteen-year-old child who drags me into that g*dawful Hollister place with the dim lighting and blaring music to buy the right pair of jeans to want to eat *lentil soup* with a *grilled cheese sandwich* tonight for supper? When there is - - - -shrimp?! :biggrin:

And what she wants her brother wants.

So we have eaten the shrimp. Naturally, she wanted hers on top of the caesar salad (the romaine bought in the pack ready washed was disgusting by the way and more than half of it had to be thrown out :sad: ) and he wanted his "re-heated" and served separately.

I am madly eating caponata to keep calm.

With lots of warm bread.

One meal down, in the one hour since cooking.

What on earth is next, I ask you?

It has been almost an hour since my last post.

My daughter has now decided that the baked potatoes look too good.

She thinks a baked potato with butter, bacon and cheese would be a fine bedtime snack.

How can I argue?

She is trying to charm me into being happy about the growing ruination of my Great Plan of Weekly Cookery by asking me if I have a degree in "Potato-Ography" while she smiles and eats.

Some plan this was. :laugh:

An awfully lovely menu for a couple of beasties if you ask me. Make some nice things for yourself and feed the beasties what they really want....pasta, pizza, soup, sandwiches. They can prepare any of those items themselves right?

My beastie (okay, he's only 4) dissed my homemade lasagna tonight and opted for a breadstick with butter and a glass of milk for dinner. I should have had a slimming and tremendously timesaving bowl of cereal instead.

It has been almost an hour since my last post.

My daughter has now decided that the baked potatoes look too good.

She thinks a baked potato with butter, bacon and cheese would be a fine bedtime snack.

How can I argue?

She is trying to charm me into being happy about the growing ruination of my Great Plan of Weekly Cookery by asking me if I have a degree in "Potato-Ography" while she smiles and eats.

Some plan this was. :laugh:

If you can bear to bring yourself to do this:

Do one of the following with the kids:

--Have them visit a neighbor's kids for about five hours on a Saturday or Sunday afternoon when you're ready to prepare the week's meals

--Take or send them to the local park or athletic field

--Find a movie they would all enjoy (hah!) and send them off to the rec room with it

--Give them each a chunk 'o change and tell them to head to the mall (last resort)

While they're distracted:

Prepare/cook everything.

Find opaque storage containers for it all.

Pack them and stuff them in the back of the fridge.

If one of them stumbles across your secret project, tell them it's for a party.

Sandy Smith, Exile on Oxford Circle, Philadelphia

"95% of success in life is showing up." --Woody Allen

My foodblogs: 1 | 2 | 3

These guys would be *onto it* so quickly that it wouldn't be worth the ruse. :biggrin:

I exaggerate slightly here in my descriptions of them "just for fun". Heh.

Your comments (coming from you who thinks and writes of these things) made me think of the effect that the change in culture insofar as "neighborhoods" go has had on this thing of family cooking. The neighborhoods that many of us grew up thinking were "just the way it was" (where one would just "go outside and play") do not exist in such numbers as they used to. For a lot of reasons. And then there is the technology thing - that computer and those video games are SOP for kids and can be all-encompassing.

To me, it all trickles down to a paring-down of ease and time. To lots of other people, too, from what I hear. The idea of a family at table and the things that offers is definitely affected.

So I guess despite my cranky grumblings, I am secretly pleased to have the kids wandering into the kitchen and "ruining my plans" for the food by trying to gobble it right up. :smile:

Can't wait to see how the rest of this week goes.

It *was* a lovely plan, as plans go. And as plans go, it went.

You spoil them!

Stuff the fridge with easy eating, and things they can prepare themselves, then let them do their own thing in the week.

No prep, only shopping...

The microwave is their friend. At thirteen they can surely operate that. Might even be able to cook an egg or two, or bake a potato...

*Do* I spoil them, Jack?

Perhaps so.

I should note that they do "grab from the fridge" and the cupboards - Mommy is not waiting on them hand and foot, believe me. :biggrin:

And they do have some good basic cooking skills. During the week even *they* have time eaten up in some mysterious way, though. After school activities, homework (these bookbags weigh approximately 35 lbs. with the texts and papers they drag home every afternoon - it is actually an item that is discussed at school board meetings as to "why" so much homework and the effects of heavy bookbags on the spine :shock: . . .)

But. I did not have this thing of being "spoiled" by lovely food being made each night while growing up - but I have seen this in other families. The warmth and love that can be expressed by someone in the kitchen at home (yes, usually it has been "the mother") is something that seems to me to be ultimately rather magical. It transforms the moment. . .alters the mundane into something almost magnificent, almost something technicolor :biggrin: . So if this is "spoiling" - then it is something that I feel should be done if at all possible.

(Who wouldn't like to be a little spoiled, I ask you :wink: )

You can spoil me anytime. However your time is important as well, and you started the thread saying you did not get the time to cook. I think it important you eat together, and have the time to listen, even if you did not cook it.

A friend, whose kids are now grown into fine young men, instituted a regime where each child was responsible for one dinner a week for the family, both the planning (she would purchase the shopping requested), the cooking, and finally the washing up. This meant that by the time it came for them to leave home (for University) they could fend for themselves. Since they had to do their own washing up as well it ensured they were reasonably tidy in the kitchen...

Edited by jackal10 (log)

(Oh, well, I tried...)

Your comments (coming from you who thinks and writes of these things) made me think of the effect that the change in culture insofar as "neighborhoods" go has had on this thing of family cooking. The neighborhoods that many of us grew up thinking were "just the way it was" (where one would just "go outside and play") do not exist in such numbers as they used to. For a lot of reasons. And then there is the technology thing - that computer and those video games are SOP for kids and can be all-encompassing.

Actually, I had thought about that a bit too, and deliberately chose a more anachronistic reference for the first item on the list in place of some peculiar new cultural institution that I understand is called the "play date."

Somehow the notion that even spontaneity must be scheduled--that kids in modern suburbia don't "just go out and play"--saddens me, and I believe that in the long run the culture will be the worse for it. I'd have to second you when you count your blessings that you are able to be there for your kids as you choose and that they aren't simply going prematurely blind sitting in front of a computer screen all day, much as I am now.

To me, it all trickles down to a paring-down of ease and time. To lots of other people, too, from what I hear. The idea of a family at table and the things that offers is definitely affected.

So I guess despite my cranky grumblings, I am secretly pleased to have the kids wandering into the kitchen and "ruining my plans" for the food by trying to gobble it right up. :smile:

Can't wait to see how the rest of this week goes.

It *was* a lovely plan, as plans go. And as plans go, it went.

Having no children myself :smile: , I don't get to experience this sort of enjoyable chaos. I'd love it if we could as a society figure out ways to make that time again. Eating together is still one of the most potent social rituals around and a signal that we truly value those with whom we eat.

Sandy Smith, Exile on Oxford Circle, Philadelphia

"95% of success in life is showing up." --Woody Allen

My foodblogs: 1 | 2 | 3

Hi there CT! I have a few make-aheads and last minute items in the fridge that I find helpful for busy weeks.

1) Chili: always a favorite and can be made with chicken, pork, beef, ground beef/turkey, etc.

2) Eggs: Fritatas and scrambles using up leftovers or veggies are always a good stand by.

3) Marinating meats: a nice pork tenderloin or flank steak can marinate for 1 hour to 3 days if you need. Jerk seasoning, basic oil and vinegar with herbs, even (don't tell) a bottle of dressing if you must, all work well. Then on the chosen evening, just throw it on the grill and dinner is ready in a matter of minutes!

4) Pasta or Rice salad are great to pull out and grab a few fork fulls for a quick nosh. Just make sure you don't over dress it or it becomes mushier as the week goes on.

5) "Nosh" in our house means deli meats, pickled green beans, fresh fruits and cheeses all put out with crackers and/or bread for the actual meal. Something casual and easy for those days when everyone's schedule is hectic and they are popping in and out all evening. (Pour a glass of wine for yourself and sit back!)

I do agree that having young adults be responsible for an family meal is a great way to teach cooking, responsibility, planning, budgeting, nutrition, interconnectivity, gratitude for other's efforts, etc. I know a number of people who do this in their own home and it really seems to be a positive family experience - as a gross generalization.

Good luck! I look forward to seeing how the rest of the week goes!

Genny

Stews, stews, stews! Boeuf bourgignon, and coq au vin come to mind, as does chicken with forty cloves of garlic...make those ahead of time, and just cook up some egg noodles or warm a loaf of bread, make a tossed salad, and you have dinner! The big plus is that they get so much better a day or two later.

"We had dry martinis; great wing-shaped glasses of perfumed fire, tangy as the early morning air." - Elaine Dundy, The Dud Avocado

Queenie Takes Manhattan

eG Foodblogs: 2006 - 2007

Disclaimer: I don't have anything really to add of any original or creative nature. Suggestions made already that anticipate ones I would give (stews or braises, roasts, soups, bread, fruit crisps and yes, casseroles like macaroni and cheese with a touch of Gorgonzola).

I personally hate to cook when I am hungry, especially when it's dark and cold and in a city where a 25-minute commute can take up to an hour and a half if not more. Therefore, I always make several things on the weekend and am not allergic to my freezer.* This week included a three-lentil soup with pancetta, pumpkin and thyme and a huge loaf of oatmeal-studded bread. There are great apples and pears from the market and aged cheddar cheese...and Gorgonzola. I have at least two colors of beets to roast and toss with roasted walnuts, orange juice and olive oil and if soup isn't enough, they'll be there.

There's eggplant stew in the freezer and chicken to add to it, peanut sauce (same chicken, rice spring roll wrappers, cilantro....) tomato sauce, cauliflower soup, vegetarian chili and gnocchi to thaw and top with butter and pineapple sage...all from weekends past, except for the sage. Frozen fruit and sliced, nearly rotten bananas are there too for moments of desparation when a yogurt smoothie with fresh local organic gingerroot makes sense. A friend with four to feed tends to keep an unbaked meatloaf in her freezer, or half of a double batch of something prepared the week before.

I usually keep enormous quantities of chicken stock in the freezer and restock the supply whenever there's a sale on chicken legs at Whole Foods. I just depleted the last batch. Especially since the market still has all sorts of sturdy greens, including my favorite cavolo nero (dinosaur), I turn to Judy Rodgers and her soothing list of things to do with chicken stock, stale bread, an egg, kale and the like. Would kids be happy with that? It sounds like yours are pretty well trained.

There's always miso way back on the second shelf in the fridge and soba noodles, tofu, scallions and carrots.

If I intend to do actual cooking beyond pasta for the ragu [anyone know how to format diacritics here?], I like to have a pureed soup on hand that can be sipped from a mug while everything else is being done. Otherwise, I reach for the jar of raw almonds.

What struck me about your Utopian plan was not just what your children did to compromise it. The variety seemed rather ambitious. Do you and others not count on leftovers? I would think shrimp would be scarfed down all at once, but isn't a pot roast worth at least two nights of pot roast (maybe changing some veg the second time around, but why bother) and then even, if big enough, a third night as a ragu over wide thick egg noodles, maybe with flavors altered by dried porcini and their soaking liquid and some fresh mushrooms? If Harriet the Spy could eat a tomato sandwich every day of the year way back in the sixties...

*It amazes me when food sections of newspapers publish yet another article about the time-saving, resourcefulness of planning and cooking ahead as if readers might not have thought of this themselves.

"Viciousness in the kitchen.

The potatoes hiss." --Sylvia Plath

You can spoil me anytime. However your time is important as well, and you started the thread saying you did not get the time to cook. I think it important you eat together, and have the time to listen, even if you did not cook it.

A friend, whose kids are now grown into fine young men, instituted a regime where each child was responsible for one dinner a week for the family, both the planning (she would purchase the shopping requested), the cooking, and finally the washing up. This meant that by the time it came for them to leave home (for University) they could fend for themselves. Since they had to do their own washing up as well it ensured they were reasonably tidy in the kitchen...

I love the idea of the kids being responsible for cooking a meal with all that it entails. That is actually on my List.

I have a List, you see, that if all goes well (Hmm. Lists. How often *do* they actually work?! :biggrin:) will have the children doing this probably in the next year.

But first, in my evil plan, they must prove their worth to be equal to this fine task of being in the kitchen. How? Why, by doing the other things that need doing in the house of course. Keeping their rooms tidy and doing their very own laundry. Heh.

So far, so good, actually. Each of them does tidy their rooms daily (don't say it too loud, it might get hexed :blink: ) and the older one takes full responsibility for her clothes. Lots of clothes. So this is good. :smile:

The entry into cooking dinner one night each week will be a sort of rite of passage, and I hope a very fun and interesting one, for each of them - both boy and girl. They already *do* know how to cook. As Megan said in another thread, one learns a lot from just being around and doing a tiny bit of this and that and by a sort of osmosis.

But *listening*? Now you tell me I'm supposed to *listen* to them? Oh dear. This *will* be a task. Let me consider whether I am up to it. :laugh: I rather doubt it. :huh:

Somehow the notion that even spontaneity must be scheduled--that kids in modern suburbia don't "just go out and play"--saddens me, and I believe that in the long run the culture will be the worse for it.  I'd have to second you when you count your blessings that you are able to be there for your kids as you choose and that they aren't simply going prematurely blind sitting in front of a computer screen all day, much as I am now.

Eating together is still one of the most potent social rituals around and a signal that we truly value those with whom we eat.

Yes, the "time" thing is something strange to me. It rather seems as if we are on some huge ship headed straight for a massive dock where we'll break our prow.

Or something like that. :raz:

Seems to me that the time thing is hugely significant in so many ways - and that it is equal to the other "movements" that have shaped our histories in the past in enormous ways, such as the rise of industrialization. But this time thing does not have a name yet as far as I know. But it effects everyone I know. In many ways and most particularly in food ways.

Speaking of that, must run off! Children must be collected from school then we'll see how this project continues. :smile:

Genny, Megan, and Pontormo -

I loved your menu suggestions! Will check back in on them if this week works out -they are great ideas to fit in!

Pontormo - leftovers usually disappear through snacking and lunches around here pretty quickly. . . I am always astounded at the amounts of food that kids can consume. :smile: