• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Making marc

jackal10

I have been given a bucket of marc, the press cake skins and pips remaining after pressing the chardonnay grapes for English Sparkling Wine we picked on Sunday.

I'd like to make a version of marc, (country brandy), but to stay legal probably frozen rather than distilled.

I can find no online reference, and I've never done it before. Can any of you winemakers or people with vineyards help?

My guessed method is to re-hydrate the marc, add sugar to adjust the OG to say 1.050 or thereabouts, and let it ferment out. Rack, and then freeze, and decant like making applejack. Should I add pectinase or anything else?

I'll also try making some grape jelly from the marc

Edited by jackal10 (log)

If you are doing it by freeze fractionation, make sure thtat you have plenty of pain killers on hand.

I would look into the relative amount of methanol produced as it may not be the same as for cider and could potentially be dangerous.

In Burgundy they also make a liquor out of the spent yeast. This is only for the ladies - lucky them.