• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Ordering quality champagne online in the US

alex_b

(This was posted in the "Special Occasions" section before realizing this may be a more suitable forum so please forgive the redundancy.)

Would anyone have any suggestions to make as to the best and most reliable sites from which to order high-quality champagne for delivery to various cities in the US? The champagne will be sent to VIPs on behalf of a French company so the selection would need to pass their very discerning "taste test".

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

I would think that of prime concern (aside from shipping capabilities) would be freshness (Champagne needs to be fresh and well stored) thus the reliability of the source is critical.

Price should be of less concern given the importance of the task at hand.

I do not know what city you are posting from. I would think that rather than just using a web site, you would be better served by dealing directly with a retailer.

At least by phone.

Here in New York City, there are several retailers who would be good resources--they all have websites but I would recommend calling and talking to someone.

Sherry Lehmann:www.sherry-lehmann.com 212-838-7500

Morrell and Company:www.morrellwine.com 212-688-9370

Zachy's:www.zachys.com 914-874-8000

the first two are in Manhattan the second in Scarsdale.

I am familiar with most wine shops in the NY area and I believe these three are best suited for the taks at hand. keep in mind--we have some arcane shipping laws when it comes to alcohol--things are getting better--these establishments are very adept at shipping--I have dealt with them often enough to vouch for their capabilities as well as their service.

hope this helps!

good luck

I don't think you are asking which wines to buy, but whom to buy them from. Pretty much, any reatiler that ships a fair amount of wine would work. John has mentioned some. Also, Wine Exchange and K & L Wines (both in California) and Sam's Wines and Spirits in Chicago.

Ship the wine via 2-day air, and have it shipped so it's not sitting in a delivery company's warehouse or truck over a weekend.

You may have a problem shipping wine to certain states. Some do not accept out of state shipments of alcohol, even for personal use.

We cannot employ the mind to advantage when we are filled with excessive food and drink - Cicero

a 2nd for K&L. their grower Champagne selection is excellent, which should impress the Frenchies' sensibilities. it's their specialty, and they sell Champagne for true Champagne drinkers.

i'm still remembering the Launois Grand Cru reserve blanc de blancs we had not long ago. gorgeous stuff.

a 2nd for K&L.  their grower Champagne selection is excellent, which should impress the Frenchies' sensibilities.  it's their specialty, and they sell Champagne for true Champagne drinkers.

i'm still remembering the Launois Grand Cru reserve blanc de blancs we had not long ago. gorgeous stuff.

Jon,

I have some of the Launois Sable (more of a cremant style) in the cellar. Have you had that one?

Alex,

If you had asked for specific wines to recommend, I was going to go Jon's route and suggest K & L, Chambers Street (in NYC) and Village Corner (in Ann Arbor) as having good selections of grower Champagne.

If you order from K & L, be sure to talk to Gary Westby on the phone. He's a super guy, is passionate about Champagne, and has fantastic customer service skills.

We cannot employ the mind to advantage when we are filled with excessive food and drink - Cicero