• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

greek ingredients

i'm talking cheeses beyond just the kasseri and feta that dibruno's carries. those little sausages that they put in the metal tray and burn up with ouzo. good phyllo. tarama. that sort of thing. any sources? a greek-american coworker of mine says she doesn't know of anywhere, and that even the old school stores out in upper darby are all gone now. said she has to get ingredients from new york nowadays.

it seems to me there aren't all THAT many really specialized ingredients for general greek cooking, but the ones you might want are hard to find. i'll order from greekinternetmarket.com or somewhere if i have to, but figured i'd see if any of you know anywhere local, first.

i'm talking cheeses beyond just the kasseri and feta that dibruno's carries.  those little sausages that they put in the metal tray and burn up with ouzo.  good phyllo.  tarama. that sort of thing.  any sources?  a greek-american coworker of mine says she doesn't know of anywhere, and that even the old school stores out in upper darby are all gone now.  said she has to get ingredients from new york nowadays.

it seems to me there aren't all THAT many really specialized ingredients for general greek cooking, but the ones you might want are hard to find.  i'll order from greekinternetmarket.com or somewhere if i have to, but figured i'd see if any of you know anywhere local, first.

I'm not sure of exactly where it is in the neighborhood, but a woman I met recently told me that there's a Greek specialty store somewhere in the Fairmount/Art Museum area.

Of course, you could always call a Greek Orthodox parish and ask if they know.

There's phyllo, good feta cheese (I like the Bulgarian - less salty) and grape leaves at Bitar's for sure. I think I may have seen taramas there too, but I'm pretty sure there's taramas in the back refrigerated case at the 9th Street DiBruno's. Prolly at the big shiny new DiBruno's too.

Katie M. Loeb
Booze Muse, Spiritual Advisor

Author: Shake, Stir, Pour:Fresh Homegrown Cocktails

Cheers!
Bartendrix,Intoxicologist, Beverage Consultant, Philadelphia, PA
Captain Liberty of the Good Varietals, Aphrodite of Alcohol

really? i looked for tarama at the new dibruno's and didn't see it. i'll check down on 9th st.

i don't like the bulgarian feta i've had from dibruno's. it's got this funky smell to it that always strikes me oddly. the french feta is OK but not strongly flavored/salty enough for my tastes.

thanks for the tip on bitar's--for some reason i always forget to go there...

Edited by mrbigjas (log)

really? i looked for tarama at the new dibruno's and didn't see it.  i'll check down on 9th st.

i don't like the bulgarian feta i've had from dibruno's.  it's got this funky smell to it that always strikes me oddly.  the french feta is OK but not strongly flavored/salty enough for my tastes. 

thanks for the tip on bitar's--for some reason i always forget to go there...

I've liked the Bulgarian feta that I've gotten in the past at Bitar's, but perhaps that's just my taste. It's just stinky enough and less salty than other feta I've had. I didn't find the smell unpleasant, but everyone's "funkiness quotient" is different I guess.

Try calling DiBruno's before hauling ass over there for nothing. I've been wrong before and it won't be the last time, I'm sure.

It just occurred to me that Assouline & Ting might have taramas too.

Katie M. Loeb

Cheers!

The promised land:

Costa's Food Market

I tried some of their products at a Greek Festival in Cherry Hill last year. It took me a little while to remember it and find the info, but there you go.

The cheeses were all excellent. They had *huge* bags of cheap Greek oregano on the stalks that I still have a healthy amount of. Very fragrant and yummy. Good olives too.

A short hop over the bridge to Pennsauken is all that you desire... :smile:

Katie M. Loeb

Cheers!

The promised land:

Costa's Food Market

I tried some of their products at a Greek Festival in Cherry Hill last year.  It took me a little while to remember it and find the info, but there you go.

The cheeses were all excellent.  They had *huge* bags of cheap Greek oregano on the stalks that I still have a healthy amount of.  Very fragrant and yummy.  Good olives too.

Holy small world, Batman! I know the current owner.

Edited because of TMI for little ears on the 'net

Edited by Furious Flav-or (log)

The promised land:

Costa's Food Market

I tried some of their products at a Greek Festival in Cherry Hill last year.  It took me a little while to remember it and find the info, but there you go.

The cheeses were all excellent.  They had *huge* bags of cheap Greek oregano on the stalks that I still have a healthy amount of.  Very fragrant and yummy.  Good olives too.

and katie comes through in the clutch! i'll check it out this weekend, possibly. thanks!

You might also check out Armenian Delight in the burbs, on West Chester Pike in Broomall. Obviously it is more Armenian than Greek, but they carry many Greek products. I have used their spanikopita when catering to greek clients and it was hit.

Good Luck!

"Love and cook with reckless abandon" - Dalai Lama

We indeedly do not currently have Tarama. We've got it's meze cousin, Taramasolata. Our suppliers do have it and we'd be happy to special order for you, with discounts for case purchases. PM me!

Speaking of Greek specialties, we do have fage Greek yogurt that I am addicted to.

Lisa K

Lavender Sky

"No one wants black olives, sliced 2 years ago, on a sandwich, you savages!" - Jim Norton, referring to the Subway chain.