• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

The Chipotle Topic

hazardnc

There's a recipe for Chipotle Mayonnaise in the eGCI classes:

"Basic Condiments by Andie Paysinger and Mary Baker"

Ahaa a chipotle mayo for a dip for veggies or chips. Thats the perfect way to try them without involving other expensive ingrediants. Then when you find out how good it is you can use it on sandwiches or chicken or steak :smile:

tracey

The great thing about barbeque is that when you get hungry 3 hours later....you can lick your fingers

Maxine

Avoid cutting yourself while slicing vegetables by getting someone else to hold them while you chop away.

"It is the government's fault, they've eaten everything."

My Webpage

garden state motorcyle association

A no-brainer chipotle cream sauce is always good with grilled meats, pork in particular. Just reduce some heavy cream, add pureed chipotle/adobo to taste, salt and just a touch of cinnamon. Serve on the side or drizzled on top, your preference.

aka Michael

Chi mangia bene, vive bene!

"...And bring us the finest food you've got, stuffed with the second finest."

"Excellent, sir. Lobster stuffed with tacos."

I wonder if chipotles are as hot as cili padi (i'm not sure what they're called in english!), I guess I'll try some later.

I know it's annoying when someone can't just google 'chipotles' but i didn't want to waste my one can of chipotle with wonky recipes

Thanks for all your help:) :smile:

I wonder if chipotles are as hot as cili padi (i'm not sure what they're called in english!), I guess I'll try some later.

I know it's annoying when someone can't just google 'chipotles' but i didn't want to waste my one can of chipotle with wonky recipes

I still don't have an idea as to your heat-tolerance. But if you want to make GOOD use of those wonderful chiles, make chipotles en adobo. This medium-hot sauce is exceptional. It can be added to recipes to taste. Good in barbecue sauces because of the natural smokiness. This homemade sauce is much fresher than any canned sauce. The best part is that because of the vinegar content, it will keep in the refridge for many months. The following recipe is from Mark Miller's The Great Chile Book with John Harrison, Ten Speed Press, 1991. I never asked: do you have the dark red/purple (chiles morita) or the tan chipotles (chiles meco)? The mecos are better IMHO and are easier to seed and stem. The moritas seem hard. The result is darker with the moritas, but they can be used interchangeably. Another chipotle is called chiles pasilla de Oaxaca. Larger than the others, they are my favorite. Hard to get but not impossible. They are about 60-80 dollars per pound! The following recipe can use any of them. The resultant sauce can be pureed to a smooth consistency (and put through a seive) or the chiles can be left in there as is, for a more natural stew texture which can be added to breads, sauces, salad dressings and pastas.

Chipotles en Adobo Sauce

Yield: 1 Cup

7-10 medium chipotles, stemmed and slit lengthwise

1/3 cup onion, cut into 1/2 inch slices

5 TBS cider vinegar

2 clove garlic, sliced

4 TBS ketchup

1/4 tsp salt

3 cups water

Combine all ingredients in a pan, cover and cook over very low heat for 1 to 1 1/2 hours, until the chiles are very soft and the liquid is reduced to 1 cup.

I always make double or triple, and the recipe multiplies well. Good luck!

John

I wonder if chipotles are as hot as cili padi (i'm not sure what they're called in english!),

Yunny, cili padi is bird's eye chillies.

The adobo sauce sounds so good...when did you say you'll be making it? :smile:

Edited by Tepee (log)

TPcal!

Food Pix (plus others)

Please take pictures of all the food you get to try (and if you can, the food at the next tables)............................Dejah

What I sent her IS chipotles en adobo, the canned version. Here's a delicious recipe Rick Bayless' Chipotle Shrimp and you'll be able to get all the ingredients in Malaysia with no problem. I like to add a little cilantro garnish, and a drizzle of Mexican crema, which is just like creme fraiche, but they're excellent as they are and will give you a feel for how they work. And you'll still have 7/8 of the can left after making that recipe. I'm telling ya, it's a lifetime supply!

I empty the can into a clean tight-lidded jar and keep it in the fridge. It's great for anything that needs a little smokiness -- mayo as others have said, and a little is fantastic in a pot of chili. I've been known to throw a little into BBQ sauces...a tiny amount on a cheese quesadilla (or any grilled cheese sandwich really) can be nice. It really is a useful ingredient.

If you can eat cili padi ( birds eye chillies) you will not find Chipotle hot in comparison.

They have a lovely flavour and I am sure you will enjoy them!

My hubby is a big Chipotle fan and eats them with just about anything that he thinks they might go with.

Of all the hot sauces we have in the cupboard the Chipotle usually gets used up first :smile:

What I sent her IS chipotles en adobo, the canned version.  Here's a delicious recipe Rick Bayless' Chipotle Shrimp  and you'll be able to get all the ingredients in Malaysia with no problem.  I like to add a little cilantro garnish, and a drizzle of Mexican crema, which is just like creme fraiche, but they're excellent as they are and will give you a feel for how they work.  And you'll still have 7/8 of the can left after making that recipe.  I'm telling ya, it's a lifetime supply!

Abra - she didn't say that. If you're her supplier, maybe you could direct her to some of the many hundreds of recipes available. She seems to be in the dark on what they are for!

John

I've frequently read that pouring a layer of oil over the top of condiments in half-used jars will preserve them in the refrigerator. There's no reason why this wouldn't work on after taking a single chipotle in adobo out of the jar. If they're in a can, I guess you should put them in a well-scalded jar that sels tight.