• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Expensive Turkeys

I must confess that I did order one of those turkeys, because I'm really curious. 

So, uh, I guess that makes me stupid and gullible, and a snob into the bargain, eh?  Oh well.

I don't think you're stupid and gullible... and I think your curiosity is warranted. Do let us know what you think, once you've prepared and eaten the bird, in as much detail as you'd like.

Stupid and gullible would only apply if you couldn't tell any difference between the expensive bird, and any other bird, but continued to sink that kind of money into it because of snob appeal or some other equally ridiculous reason.

Myself, no, I wouldn't pay that for a turkey, mainly due to financial constraints, but if I had the funds available, I might try it. But I also might not, because I don't know people to invite to dinner who would appreciate it. Most of my friends and relatives are people who would be quite content with a butterball, as long as there's plenty of gravy.

That turkey is a piker. The Grand Champion turkey at the Houston Livestock Show and Rodeo last year went for $125,000. I have been known to wonder about an appropriate roasting pan for such a bird.

Linda LaRose aka "fifi"

"Having spent most of my life searching for truth in the excitement of science, I am now in search of the perfectly seared foie gras without any sweet glop." Linda LaRose

Something else should be also considered about these "Turkeys" since they are advertised as being "Enhanced" by a special basting base.

Putting this explanation into real talk it means that from 15/20 of the Turkeys weight is injected to assure the tender, delicious result in the finished bird.

It also means purchasers are paying about $10.00 per pound for whatever they are pumping into the Turkeys. Considering this 20 pounds of Bird can contain 4 pounds of whatever. Realistically it often means Tri-Sodium Phosphate, Oil, Flavorings, Salt, some type of Glutamate, Sugar, Protein binders similar to those used to provide the "Butterball Experience".

I recommend putting your money into purchasing the best Organic Free Range 100% natural Turkey, letting it hang in your kitchen with a fan blowing fresh air for about a hour before roasting to drain, dry and set then Roasting the Bird at a low temperature [about 225 degrees] until the internal temperature of the bird is about 140/145 degrees then raising the temperature to 375 degrees to brown and finish the exterior while basting.

Probe the thickest part of the bird, if the juices flow clear without any color your bird is done. Remove from the oven and always allow the bird to rest for 20/30 minutes to set. It's then ready to be carved and served.

Consider that most Kosher Turkeys [Empire] have already been Koshered [brined] prior to being packed and sold retail, they also are of better quality since they much be each checked by a religious professional as to quality, cleanliness and health of the bird during the entire process. I don't generally use Kosher since I personally prefer cooking with little or no salt, but many like the taste that brining provides to meats and poultry.

At Holidays I feel that it's the time to eat traditionally and Turkeys prepared without any enhancements to me taste better. The toughest Turkey that I have ever eaten was a 22 pounder that my son-in-law got bow hunting several years ago. It was carefully bled and dressed in the field, then iced and taken home but after trying my best to prepare it for a dinner it was still tougher then a stewing hen, but tasted good after lots of chewing. Next time Turkey Jerky.

Since inquiring minds need to know I may purchase one just for the opportunity of comparing it with a natural bird.

Irwin

I don't say that I do. But don't let it get around that I don't.

I didn't realise that the subject of the discussion was an injected turkey! Butterball started that years ago in an effort ot make the frozen turkey palatable.

ANY fresh turkey is better than one frozen and injected. PERIOD! Place your emphasis on securing a fresh turkey rather than one sold on advertising.

I believe that Kosher turkeys are treated with salt in the Koshering process leading to a percieved enhanced taste.

As to your wild turkey, of course it will not be as tender as a domestic turkey because the bird had to fend for itself and can actually fly. Wild game is distinctinly different than its domestic cousin. You might try, taking the wild bird apart, making soup out of the carcass, slow roast the stuffed breast and braise the leg/thighs in sour cream until tender. A 22 # wild turkey is a big bird and unless you have a lot of people, we cut them up as I mentioned. -Dick

FWIW this month's CI did a taste test on heritage turkeys vs. more mainstream ones and found them (the heritage breeds)

1. to be an acquired taste and 2. to be very very inconsistent regarding quality, even within the same breed.

Get your bitch ass back in the kitchen and make me some pie!!!

I haven't been able to find either locally grown fresh turkey, nor heritage turkey that hasn't been frozen. Here's how I look at it: I can go out to dinner in Seattle with my husband and drop $140 on dinner for the two of us. It's probably going to be excellent, but it's just one dinner for two. This way I get to invite a lot of foodie friends to try something new, and if it's not worth it, they'll all tell me so in no uncertain terms! If it's as good as he says, I'll be a hero.

I hate the breathless quality of the Rosengarten copy too, but I try not to hold that against him. And yeah, if it's Empire, you still need tweezers and needlenose pliers.

• 2 weeks later...

WS has organic and free range turkeys for 70 and 89 bucks respectively(is that a word???)

Sooooo....my question is, when you pay that for a turkey, what then? Do you insure that the bread that made the stuffing is made from organic flour? The butter, sure. The herbs???Do I go buy all organic just to satisfy a requirement?

If someone tells me, straight out, that these birds taste better with no other 'enhancement' other than what I myself provide it, then I will order asap. Otherwise I'll get a bird from central market when I go to Houston..I assume they make a 'smart turkey' to go with the 'smart chickens'????

• 3 weeks later...

Well I just ordered a turkey and it cost US$101 for a 11 lb bird. Cost includes tax and delivery. Given the higher cost of living in the UK compared to the States and the fact that this is a variety of turkey (Norfolk Black) that is very old (the oldest some say) and now only produced on one farm in the UK, I think that this is a very good price. Especially, as a monster generic flavourless supermarket turkey will cost 2/3s of this price.

Anyway, I am going to save on the cost of the cranberries ans I bought a whole bunch of wild cranberries (lingon berries/cow berries) in Lithuania. :rolleyes:

Williebird Bourbon Red turkeys are selling for $4/lb at their shop near Santa Rosa CA. Count me out of the $100 turkey club. I've got some sympathy for you $100 turkey people, if I couldn't get a good bird locally the cost of shipping would make any good bird cost that much.

I have a good farm on Long Island for fresh farm-raised turkey (not heritage), so I don't need to spend that much, but I would be willing to try it (depends on the particulars of the bird). This year, I am trying a wild turkey in addition to the regular farm-raised one just for some variety. That is costing me $71.50 plus shipping from D'Artgagnan for an 8-10 bird. However, all of D'Artagnan's heritage turkeys are over $100 and all of their organic turkeys over 16lbs are as well. Since I have a good source, I probably wouldn't pay those prices and for a heritage I would definitely shop around.

"If the divine creator has taken pains to give us delicious and exquisite things to eat, the least we can do is prepare them well and serve them with ceremony."

~ Fernand Point

The Heritage USA birds are available from Prather Ranch, BiRite and somewhere in Berekely for about 7 or 8 a pound.

I like Willie Birds but I think Bourbon Red is just a breed, not a heritage breed, if that makes any difference.

Heritage USA keeps pushing Plymouth Barred Rock chickens as some kind of endangered breed but I got my chicks from the feed store. I hear they are good for eating but it's not like they're going anywhere soon.

Visit beautiful Rancho Gordo!

Twitter @RanchoGordo

"How do you say 'Yum-o' in Swedish? Or is it Swiss? What do they speak in Switzerland?"- Rachel Ray

The Bourbon Red breed is apparently a heritage breed - I found the willie bird info in an old slow food press release. I've been cooking the normal Williebird turkeys for the past few years, I'm interested to see how different this one will be.

You are right! It's the same breed that Heritage USA is selling, for what I assume is a lot less.

Have you ever eaten at the Willie Bird restaurant in Sta Rosa? Is it still there? It's pretty camp.

Visit beautiful Rancho Gordo!

Twitter @RanchoGordo

"How do you say 'Yum-o' in Swedish? Or is it Swiss? What do they speak in Switzerland?"- Rachel Ray

I've only driven past the Willie Bird restaurant/shop, the Monday before Thanksgiving will be my first visit - might as well eat something while I'm picking up the bird. The generic Willie Bird turkeys are $2/lb at the shop and the Bourbon Reds are $4/lb, a much better deal than the Heritage USA $7-$8/lb birds.

I've only driven past the Willie Bird restaurant/shop, the Monday before Thanksgiving will be my first visit - might as well eat something while I'm picking up the bird.  The generic Willie Bird turkeys are $2/lb at the shop and the Bourbon Reds are $4/lb, a much better deal than the Heritage USA $7-$8/lb birds.

Restaurant is on Santa Rosa Ave, Shop is on Hwy 12 on the way to Sebastopol. 2 different places.

Bruce Frigard

Quality control Taster, Château D'Eau Winery

"Free time is the engine of ingenuity, creativity and innovation"

111,111,111 x 111,111,111 = 12,345,678,987,654,321

Hurray, Jack paid more than I did! I can now officially retire as the forum's most extravagant turkey-fancier. I'll hand over my crown of feathers to you, Jack. But, uh, a 22 kilo turkey? As in a 50 lb turkey? Does that even exist? Not here, for sure.