• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Any good restaurants in Millau?

Jeff L

We are meeting up with an old friend midway from his home in Cahors and our Chateau in St. Esteve at a place called Millau. My friend knows nothing at all about this town and we are asking anyone on the France forum to assist if possible.

We will likely have lunch rather than dinner in Millau and would like any recommendations for a good place. This will be our last day in France and we would like to make it memorable.

Thanks in advance!

Jeff

We are meeting up with an old friend midway from his home in Cahors and our Chateau in St. Esteve at a place called Millau. My friend knows nothing at all about this town and we are asking anyone on the France forum to assist if possible.

We will likely have lunch rather than dinner in Millau and would like any recommendations for a good place. This will be our last day in France and we would like to make it memorable.

Thanks in advance!

Jeff

Since I can be of no help regarding restos in Millau (we ate in Carcassone when last thru there) let me just say that the Viaduc at Millau is something people drive hours to see and is quite wonderful. Also Jose Bove of trashing McDo/transgenic veggies/etc fame is a native of Millau and a Roquefort producer there.

John Talbott

blog John Talbott's Paris

Thanks Matthew and John. I do in fact know about the Viaduc as this was why we selected Millau as the place to meet. Thanks for the link John, it is a magnificant structure indeed.

Looking just now at Michelin Red Guide (and me with little to no command of French) shows the only 2 fork place to be La Table d'Albanie

We drove through Millau a couple of years ago, before the Viaduc had opened; not far is the town of Roquefort where the REAL one comes from-- there are apparently about 3 other villages across France with the same name, but the one near Millau is THE one. It will, however, make you forever averse to substitutes like Danish Blue!

And, ahh, this is France, so for lunch I would just park, stroll around, check for a local-looking place, check the carte in the window, and the tableau noir for the plats du jour, and chances are you will have a wonderful meal. Make sure you get there before 1:45, that is usually the last call for lunch.

• 2 years later...

We're thinking of a lunch in Millau next week on the way back to Uzès through the Cévennes park after visiting Dave Hatfield (hurray!) On viamichelin.com I see a blurb about La Braconne that makes it sound good. Has anyone eaten there, or anywhere else really nice in the area?