• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

The Catalogs are coming

rooftop1000

The first batch of holiday catalogs has started to arrive. Do yours get dumped or used? What are we ordering for our friends, loved ones, and in-laws this year?

So far I have only recieved the Figis (Hickory Farms wannabe) and O H Bakery ( kringle, cakes, and traditional Danish)...ohdanishbakery.com.

I think the O H Bakery is going to replace Figis for the in-laws this year....and maybe just a few Kringle for myself...just a cherry cheese, some pecan, and maybe apple, well they say the raspberry is very popular too. :rolleyes:

So what do we send and what do we get from the well wishers out there. Last year we revieved a big basket of assorted chocolate covered pretzles that were damn tasty, but thats all :sad:

Tracey

The great thing about barbeque is that when you get hungry 3 hours later....you can lick your fingers

Maxine

Avoid cutting yourself while slicing vegetables by getting someone else to hold them while you chop away.

"It is the government's fault, they've eaten everything."

My Webpage

garden state motorcyle association

I brought one of these for thanksgiving at my aunts a few years ago http://www.neimanmarcus.com/store/catalog/...Cat=HEHoliday0a

The catalog has some great stuff in it, the price points are insane though :blink:

This year I plan on ordering some bulk stuff from penzeys and D'artagnan(spl) and making up my own gift baskets, a hell of a lot cheaper than some of these pre-made baskets that I always get catalogs for. It also lets you tailor each basket for an individuals taste.

Edit: A few years ago the cake was listed as celebration cake not bridal

Edited by M.X.Hassett (log)

• 3 weeks later...
This year I plan on ordering some bulk stuff from penzeys and D'artagnan(spl) and making up my own gift baskets, a hell of a lot cheaper than some of these pre-made baskets that I always get catalogs for. It also lets you tailor each basket for an individuals taste.

We did this last year and it was a lot of fun, but I got carried away as usual, so it ended up being pretty expensive! Part of the gift basket for my parents... the beer sampler (American variety) from World Market, and my dad proclaimed it the best gift he's ever received! I paired it with bleu cheese for him, gouda for my mom, crackers, salami, chocolates, etc. It really was a lot of fun!

I think I'm going to get my boyfriend's dad the PB&J gift box from Zingerman's because he LOVES peanut butter... http://zingermans.com/Product.pasp?Categor...oductID=G%2DPBJ

And I think I'm going to get my grandma the Gingerbread Cookie Bus from the Dancing Deer Baking Co. (thanks to another egulleter) because her name is Ginger and she loves it all! http://www.dancingdeer.com/prodinfo.asp?number=CO-GBOYBUSSES

One year we got a variety of chocolate covered cherries and nuts from someone and it was awesome!

I wish someone would buy me a salami variety pack!

"Many people believe the names of In 'n Out and Steak 'n Shake perfectly describe the contrast in bedroom techniques between the coast and the heartland." ~Roger Ebert

Just received my Southern Season catalog. I fell in lust with the place during grad school (when I couldn't afford their good stuff), and order for friends and family every year. Unfortunately, they haven't gotten the hint that I love the place, so I also have to order something for myself :biggrin:

Anna

------

"I brought you a tuna sandwich. They say it's brain food. I guess because there's so much dolphin in it, and you know how smart they are." -- Marge Simpson

I am on tons of mailing lists and I do not even open the things. There is a trash can right next to the mail boxes in my building, that is where they go immediately.

It is good to be a BBQ Judge.  And now it is even gooder to be a Steak Cookoff Association Judge.  Life just got even better.  Woo Hoo!!!

I just got my Plow and Hearth....I have to get my hubby a Pie Iron this year. Inside joke but all dessert and most food is just PIE. And we have a wood stove to actually use the Pie Iron in.

T

The great thing about barbeque is that when you get hungry 3 hours later....you can lick your fingers

Maxine

Avoid cutting yourself while slicing vegetables by getting someone else to hold them while you chop away.

"It is the government's fault, they've eaten everything."

My Webpage

garden state motorcyle association

I am on everybody's list and I probably get 6 or more catalogs daily, more when the holiday season looms.

My housekeeper tosses out the common ones before I ever see them but does save some of the more unusual for me as well as all of the ones with specialty cookware, etc.

She also saved the one from Hersey - left it in a prominent place. She is a chocoholic!

Yesterday the "Source" from Sam's Club, "Home Trends," "Harney & Sons" (teas), "PBS Video," "Serengeti" and "Alsto's" showed up.

I got home earlier so got the mail myself.

"There are, it has been said, two types of people in the world. There are those who say: this glass is half full. And then there are those who say: this glass is half empty. The world belongs, however, to those who can look at the glass and say: What's up with this glass? Excuse me? Excuse me? This is my glass? I don't think so. My glass was full! And it was a bigger glass!" Terry Pratchett