• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Apple pie with filo

maxmillan

Although I have a well established crust for my pies, folks are now asking for a lower fat version.

I thought of making an open faced fruit pie with filo. I plan to buy the filo as I find making it too time consuming and I simply don't have the space.

Should I precook the filling first? How can I bake it so that the bottom will have some tenderness? I like piling the fruits high, is this recommended?

Do more watery pies (berries, pear...) require a different baking method?

I prefer to bake this in a pyrex dish, rather than galette style.

Thanks for any help you an offer.

GG's linked recipe looks great.

I've never made an apple pie with fillo - but I do make an apple strudel. To save time and having to cook the apple filling, I've started grating the apples - toss them with cinnamon, sugar, a little flour, pinch of salt and anything else you like. Shredding the apples allows them to cook in the time the strudel is in the oven browning.

What about something like CI's Tarte Tatin?

The phyllo dough bakes first, so it puffs up and crisps; then you add the apples and caramel.

It's listed here as 30-Minute Tarte Tatin; you might have to register to get the recipe, but I hope the link works...

GG's linked recipe looks great.

I've never made an apple pie with fillo - but I do make an apple strudel.  To save time and having to cook the apple filling, I've started grating the apples - toss them with cinnamon, sugar, a little flour, pinch of salt and anything else you like.  Shredding the apples allows them to cook in the time the strudel is in the oven browning.

I pre-cook the apple filling to make strudel for 2 reasons: (1) to ensure the apples are cooked by the time the filo is done and just as importantly (2) to keep the filling from leaking out of the filo all over the baking sheet before setting up. The filling should be cooled to not more than room temp before wrapping in the filo.

He who distinguishes the true savor of his food can never be a glutton; he who does not cannot be otherwise. --- Henry David Thoreau

I pre-cook the apple filling to make strudel for 2 reasons: (1) to ensure the apples are cooked by the time the filo is done and just as importantly (2) to keep the filling from leaking out of the filo all over the baking sheet before setting up. The filling should be cooled to not more than room temp before wrapping in the filo.

Normally I agree with you. But I'm telling you, this shredding thing worked. The apples were completely cooked through and there was no leaking - the filling was rather dense and sturdy - I just line it up along the edge and rolled. I actually put this recipe in a Rosh Hashana cooking column - I will no doubt receive feedback from my very vocal readers - I'll let you know if anybody had a problem with it :wink: .

Normally I agree with you. But I'm telling you, this shredding thing worked. The apples were completely cooked through and there was no leaking - the filling was rather dense and sturdy - I just line it up along the edge and rolled. I actually put this recipe in a Rosh Hashana cooking column - I will no doubt receive feedback from my very vocal readers - I'll let you know if anybody had a problem with it :wink: .

I've used both methods that you list above, both worked.

But I do have a sense that the choice of apples one uses in the shredding method might be important. Some give off more juice when cooking. What variety did you use, Pam?

And do you both use breadcrumbs in your strudels in between the layers? Or not?

(I always do, the final texture seems better to me.)

Of course I don't know if this would make it non-Kosher for you, Pam. Have you ever done it with matzoh crumbs in between?

But I do have a sense that the choice of apples one uses in the shredding method might be important. Some give off more juice when cooking. What variety did you use, Pam?

And do you both use breadcrumbs in your strudels in between the layers? Or not?

(I always do, the final texture seems better to me.)

Of course I don't know if this would make it non-Kosher for you, Pam. Have you ever done it with matzoh crumbs in between?

I've been using a variety lately - fuji, macintosh, pink ladies. I prefer crisp and slightly tart. :wub:

I use breadcrumbs when I make a traditional stretch dough strudel. For the fillo strudel I've been sprinkling cin/sugar between the oiled/buttered layers.

As long as the bread is kosher that's used for the breadcrumbs, it's kosher. The only issue is during Passover - but then I couldn't use fillo dough, so it's really not an issue... clear as mud right? :wink:

As long as the bread is kosher that's used for the breadcrumbs, it's kosher. The only issue is during Passover - but then I couldn't use fillo dough, so it's really not an issue...  clear as mud right?  :wink:

Well. . .it sure takes more time to learn than making a strudel does, but then the rewards may be greater, too.

Though some might argue that there is no reward greater than apple strudel. :wink::smile:

Sorry but can we get back to the topic?

I saw an open-faced apple pie made with filo/phyllo but didn't buy it because it was only a demo pie for viewing. My concern is how the bottom would turn out if I baked it with a precooked apple filling. Strudels are basically free-form (without a pan) but would a pie plate "squish" the layers or make it soggy?

My concern is how the bottom would turn out if I baked it with a precooked apple filling...  would a pie plate "squish" the layers or make it soggy?

If you will look again at the first recommendation post in this thread, the link indicates that the phyllo is layered in the pie pan and prebaked .. only before serving does the precooked filling go into the prepared pie shell: Apple Phyllo Pie

Is this somewhat what you wanted to know, maxmillan?

Melissa Goodman aka "Gifted Gourmet"

Sorry but can we get back to the topic?

I saw an open-faced apple pie made with filo/phyllo but didn't buy it because it was only a demo pie for viewing.  My concern is how the bottom would turn out if I baked it with a precooked apple filling.  Strudels are basically free-form  (without a pan) but would a pie plate "squish" the layers or make it soggy?

I've never made a filo apple pie, but I make Bhistilla fairly often using filo dough and partly cooked fillings (egg custard, herbs, chicken, nuts). I layer the dough in a pie pan, then add the filling, and then fold the filo up and over. The bottom crust is always crispy and not soggy. Should imagine the same will hold true for an apple-filo pie.

He who distinguishes the true savor of his food can never be a glutton; he who does not cannot be otherwise. --- Henry David Thoreau

Sorry I missed the obvious suggestions above. I looked at the links and notice most of them require the edges of the filo to be crimped or folded. The pie I saw had the corners molded upwards and the apples rested in a large tulip phyllo form, very beautiful presentation.

I will try a couple of the recipes and test for sogginess. I don't plan to have the pie eaten all in one day.

Thanks for the info.

. . .I will try a couple of the recipes and test for sogginess.  I don't plan to have the pie eaten all in one day.

. . .

What interested me most about this phyllo crust was the possibility that it could be made into a very small pie plate or in individual tart tins. With only two of us, the very thought of a whole pie always strikes me as ridiculous. So, for the sake of experimentation, you might think of making small versions.

Edited to try and makes sense. :smile:

Edited by Anna N (log)

Anna Nielsen aka "Anna N"

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

Our 2012 (Kerry Beal and me) Blog

My 2004 eG Blog