• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Getting current

Florida Jim

2002 Tempier, Bandol Rosé:

A point, wonderfully layered, juicy, fresh and delicious. Of all the wines noted here, the one most perfectly ready. (And if this is supposed to be a poor vintage in the area, I should just buy a case of this wine every year and be done with it.)

2002 Cazin, Cour-Cheverny Cuveé Renaissance:

Certainly will do with extended cellaring but lovely now with a sec-tendre sweetness to the fruit and great zing to the acidity. Opened attractively over the course of the bottle.

1965 Dom. Bourillon D’Orleans, Vouvray Demi-sec:

Past maturity and starting to thin but still clean, lightly sweet and fairly persistent.

1997 Verset, Cornas:

Lots of olive tones with ashtray, fruit and dirt aromas; great fruit that is still somewhat undeveloped but it is certainly ripe and balanced; long, slightly drying finish. So absolutely Cornas that I could not help but smile at first sniffage. Distinctive.

2000 Dom. Jadot, Moulin-à-Vent Chateau des Jacques:

Charming aromatics with good concentration, nice depth and some complexity in a medium-weight package; good length. Very nice and, although it will last, excellent now.

2004 Pepiere, Muscadet:

So crisp and fresh that another Muscadet we tasted (I did not get the name) paled by comparison. I haven’t tried the ’04 Briords yet but I am looking forward to it.

1983 Chave, Hermitage Rouge:

This bottle was only just past prime but, oh, so lovely with tea-smoked duck breast. Complex, enduring wine.

1990 Nikolaihof, Riesling Vinotek:

A bit closed on the nose but alive on the palate with flavors zooming around in all directions in the mouth and laser-like acidity. An arresting mouthful of wine.

1998 Belle Pente, Pinot Noir Wahle Vnyd.:

The best Wahle Vnyd. wine I have had from this producer with a good deal of earthy/soil flavors and textures balanced against solid red and black fruit. And a lot longer in the mouth than expected. ‘Will last.

2003 Dom. Dalicieux, Beaujolais Blanc:

Crisper than expected without hint of wood or manipulation; not on a Chablis level but certainly appealing chardonnay.

2001 F.X. Pichler, Riesling ”M”:

‘Has slimmed down since release with good focus and clarity where there used to be almost steroidal tropicality; very long and very good. A juvenile but a graceful one.

1998 Salomon, Gruner Veltliner Reserve Undhof Wieden:

Also a teenager but an expressive one that may very well grow-up to be a virtuoso. So lip-smackingly delicious in the mouth. ‘Will keep nicely.

1830 Alvear, P. X. Dolce muy Viejo:

(Open four months, recorked and left in the cellar)

Indulgent sweetness, powerful aromatics, incredible spice and the texture of 50 weight motor oil. Glass staining; a little goes a long way.

Best, Jim

www.CowanCellars.com