• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

[DFW] Local Food Media

TAPrice

Just like the mayor of New Orleans, it looks like I'll be relocating soon to Dallas. I'm not sure if this move is temporary or permanent. I've learned it's unwise to make plans.

So what do I need know about the Dallas food scene?

Who are the best critics? What publications should I follow?

What about online resources? Food blogs? Local discussion boards?

On a non-food note, perhaps people could send me PMs about why they like Dallas. Neiter my wife nor I have spent much time there.

Edited by TAPrice (log)

Todd A. Price aka "TAPrice"

Homepage and writings; A Frolic of My Own (personal blog)

Welcome to Dallas, TAPrice!

I am sure you have lots of questions and will certainly have even more as you explore the Dallas food scene. In the interests of good discussions that those reading here now and in the future can find easily, please split your questions up into separate posts. You can easily add a question to an existing topic or you can start a new one if something relevant does not already exist.

Yes, sorry about that. I should have split up the questions.

Let me narrow this down to media:

Other than eGullet, what on-line food resources do people use in Dallas?

Which critics do you trust? Are some better for certain types of restaurants?

Todd A. Price aka "TAPrice"

Homepage and writings; A Frolic of My Own (personal blog)

You can get some idea of the local food media by looking through the Texas Media DIGEST, pinned above. In addition, there are numerous discussions here in the Texas forum on local articles.

D Magazine --- The city magazine. Interesting, informative frequent food issues. I suggest you look through the last year or two at a public library, or I am sure you can purchase back copies by contacting the magazine. Nancy Nichols, food and travel editor.

Dallas Morning News --- the largest repository of reviews in the area. See here. Dotty Giffith, food critic, as well as others such as Kim Pierce and a number of other writers.

The Dallas Observer --- the alternative weekly. Interesting articles and reviews by Mark Steurz and Dave Faries.

Ft. Worth Star-Telegram --- Amy Culberston, Jeff Siegel and others.

Hope this helps.

dallasfood.org is the blog to go to.

By the way, i had dinner Saturday night at Lanny's Alta Cucina Mexicana in its new location in the Cultural District in Ft Worth. It will rival anything you can find in Dallas and beat the pants of most of them.

It is good to be a BBQ Judge.  And now it is even gooder to be a Steak Cookoff Association Judge.  Life just got even better.  Woo Hoo!!!