• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Apple Peel Jelly

Mallet

I'd like to make a couple apple pies to freeze for later since they are plentiful and cheap now, but I always though it a bit wasteful to throw away all that apple peel. I'd like to make some sort of apple peel jelly, since it is naturally high in pectin and such. Any ideas on how I could do it?

Martin Mallet

<i>Poor but not starving student</i>

www.malletoyster.com

I'm not sure a jelly made only with the peels will have much flavor. I remember reading a James Beard essay on apple jelly once but I'm pretty sure he used the whole fruit. I have added apple peels to other jellies and jams for the additional pectin before, so I'd certainly save some for that purpose.

I'm not sure a jelly made only with the peels will have much flavor. I remember reading a James Beard essay on apple jelly once but I'm pretty sure he used the whole fruit. I have added apple peels to other jellies and jams for the additional pectin before, so I'd certainly save some for that purpose.

The peels do have flavor--sometimes when I've made a pie or something and have lots of apple peels, I make myself apple peel tea by simmering them for five minutes or so, then adding a little sugar. Red apples of course, make more attractive tea (or jelly). I'd use the cores, too, for making jelly, as they also have pectin. Just take off the fuzzy blossom end stuff.

Edited by beccaboo (log)

My great Aunt Minnie used to make apple peel jelly. She was a waste-not want-not kind of gal. She made legendary pies and always saved apple peels to make jelly. I don't have a recipe though.

Linda LaRose aka "fifi"

"Having spent most of my life searching for truth in the excitement of science, I am now in search of the perfectly seared foie gras without any sweet glop." Linda LaRose

I was curious to see what a recipe might look like and found this on google...

"Under the dusty almond trees, ... stalls were set up which sold banana liquor, rolls, blood puddings, chopped fried meat, meat pies, sausage, yucca breads, crullers, buns, corn breads, puff pastes, longanizas, tripes, coconut nougats, rum toddies, along with all sorts of trifles, gewgaws, trinkets, and knickknacks, and cockfights and lottery tickets."

-- Gabriel Garcia Marquez, 1962 "Big Mama's Funeral"

Well I tried to make the jelly yesterday with peels from about 5 or 6 lbs of apples. It did taste a bit watery at first but the addition of sugar fixed all of that. I think pectin might indeed be necessary (it's on the recipe linked above) because I didn't add any and the jelly didn't set. Definitely something worth perfecting!

edited: I also added the cores and seeds from the apples

Edited by Mallet (log)

Martin Mallet

<i>Poor but not starving student</i>

www.malletoyster.com

• 2 months later...