• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

What are You?

Simon..as you well know--I consider myself first and foremost--and at all times-- very lucky line cook and chef who put down a very nice score. After 28 years on the line? I will always look at the world--and at myself from that point of view. When I imagine a reader, while writing--I imagine noone else but overworked cooks. I may swan around the world talking about myself, spend little time in my kitchen anymore, and engage in pretentious voice-overs on TV, but it is waay to late to see the world any differently than from the perspective of cook/hustler/opportunist/chef. In many ways, having been a dope fiend was really good training for a career in television and publishing. You know--viscerally-always--how low you are really willing to go--should circumstances require. Any time I think "This is humiliating"  or "this is beneath me", its nice to quickly realize--"Compared to WHAT??!" Bruch...working a lunch counter..dead end restaurants, nightclubs, salad jobs..are still fresh memories --and I know full well I might come that way again....So answer is: Chef..who writes..who took his opportunities here he saw them. You cheeky fuck.

abourdain